2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
45 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,198 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Thanks Dave!

JFP - Good points. Physis does look promising and I think your point about seeing DPs as an entity in their own right is certainly valid.

Cheers,

Steve

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Apologies for bumping an old thread, however I noticed that Kawai America have uploaded a great new CA95/CA65 video to their YouTube channel.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for the link KJ!

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
That's one of the better Kawai America videos I've seen. Makes me want a CA95. I guess that was the point. smile

Last edited by gvfarns; 01/05/13 12:22 AM.
C
C
Originally Posted by gvfarns
That's one of the better Kawai America videos I've seen. Makes me want a CA95. I guess that was the point. smile

Works on me too. smile I'm planning to get my first DP in (hopefully) a few months, I've spent quite a few evenings researching, studying and skimming through forums/articles/review/you-name-it. I have finally ended up with a toss-up between the CLP 470 and the CA-95 and the scales are currently more in favor of the Kawai model. smile Still enough time to consider the pros and cons though.

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
T
T
Clayman, that video was one of the main reasons for myself deciding upon a CA95. I ordered mine last week and hopefully it should be delivered at the beginning of next week. I can't wait! It looks like a great DP and appears to be exceptional value for money. Without actually having mines yet I would say go for the CA95 as I believe that it is superior to not only the CLP470 but even the CLP480.
Hope this in some way helps you with your decision.

C
C
Yeah, thanks for the reply, Tom Tom. smile I really like the sound of the Kawai, it somehow feels "better/more pleasant" than Yamaha's but I have yet to hear both put next to each other and hear them "live". Also the extra features of the CA-95 might come in handy later on as well.

I've heard, however, that Kawai's key action is lighter than Yamaha's and I've been wondering how much of an issue (if any at all) that might or might not be. Since I'm a total beginner just getting into playing, I reckon I'm still malleable enough to get used to pretty much anything. I have also read in another thread here that Steinway pianos use even lighter key action than Kawai and I guess that's saying something as well.

I'd say it probably boils down to personal preference based on practical test. Guess I'll just have to sit down and try them both. smile

I hope your CA-95 lives up to your expectations, Tom Tom, and please do post your impressions when you receive it. wink

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Clayman
I've heard, however, that Kawai's key action is lighter than Yamaha's and I've been wondering how much of an issue (if any at all) that might or might not be.

Unfortunately there's no consensus on that point. I know that my older Kawai (a few generations ago) has a heavier action than Yamaha GH actions I've played, but unfortunately I've never been able to test current Kawai and Yamaha digitals side by side. I've heard people say Kawai is heavier and others say Yamaha. Strange, since it seems to be objectively measurable. I think it might be a static vs. dynamic weight problem.

B
B
My impression is that the Yamaha GH action feels lighter than Kawai's or Roland's because of its lack of simulated 'let-off' mechanism. The latter two gives an obvious resistance to the finger once you reach that point, and from there on, which is the impression you also get from an acoustic grand. The Yamaha action is totally smooth all the way down, and though it may not be any lighter when you measure the downweight using coins, once the key goes down, it goes all the way down to the bottom, whereas with Kawai and Roland, the key stops at that 'notch'.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission