2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,951 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
DwightK Offline OP
OP Offline
D
This is my first recording that I'm uploading. I would love to have feedback on it. What's good about it, what is bad about it?

The first 45 seconds is from a song called Free Flight - Herman Beeftink. The rest is some improv because I forgot the rest of the song.

I'm still a beginner. Everytime I hear myself play I think that it sucks. No emotion, timing is terrible. Not sure if this is really the case.

http://www.tempfiles.net/download/201207/251807/hh.html

Thanks for listening

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It sounds good to me...Maybe needs to be a bit tighter and polished but this will come with time and with practice. You are doing well so don't be too negative.

Try and relate to the song to help improve your emotion and dynamics throughout the piece.

S
SBP Offline
S
Everyone's more than a little bit critical of themselves than they need to be. It's just humbleness and perfectionism.

2012 Kawai K3
M
M
No true artist is ever satisfied.

For free piano care information visit http://murraypianotuning.com
We artists are perfectionists. That's why we have an audience to support us.

HSC pieces:
Shostakovich Piano Concerto op 102. movement 1
Chopin Op10 No1
Debussy Broulliards Preludes Bk1
Kats-Chernin Russian Rag
Messiaen Regard d'letoile
Mozart Sonata for 2 pianos D major
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Perfection itself is imperfection. (Horowitz)

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

C
C
I can certainly identify with this mental chatter: "It doesn't sound good," "I don't sound good enough," all that stuff. That's just normal mind chatter. It's trying to protect us from harm, yet it comes out in this hyper-critical way. Believe me, I'm very familiar with it.

As for myself, I am starting to realize that I may never satisfy that hyper-critical voice. And the good news is, I don't need to. It's like a five year old child that refuses to calm down. Nothing I can do about it. But it's not me. I have the choice about what I do, because I'm actually in control.

When it comes to your own sound, I think it's important to listen to other people's feedback. If other people are enjoying it, if they think it's cool, that is good feedback. That says something. Especially if those people are people whose opinion you respect. If another composer tells me my work is good, that is wonderful. At the same time, if a customer who bought my CD tells me my music is great, that is also wonderful. Because they are my paying customers. I listen to them. Regardless of what I think of my own sound, if my CD sells a thousand copies to satisfied fans... that tells me I'm on the right track!

It can be challenging getting out of our own way, but we must endeavor to do so if we are to be happy as artists and creators.

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by Chris Goslow; 02/21/13 03:30 PM.

Pianist/Composer/Songwriter/Music Artist website: http://www.chrisgoslow.com
My Piano Teaching website: http://www.pianolessonsinsacramento.com
R
R
Playing with a relaxed, deep and flowing sound is not the privilege of professional pianists and advanced piano students. This skill is available to everyone – even complete piano beginners.

You simply need to learn the basic secrets of a correct key attack – they will change forever your perspective on piano playing!

A correct touché can be mastered from the very first piano lesson, being that stable foundation on which we can build everything – a beautiful sound, a brilliant technique and a convincing power of expression.

Piano players in Monsey, New York have relied on Charles Flaum since before 1990 for piano tuning, piano repairs and sage piano advice. Monsey, a family oriented village in Rockland County, is full of piano lovers with cherished pianos in their homes..

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission