2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Don't forget the drums! I hear the chick of the high hat.. and brushwork on the snare. (perhaps because I am a drummer myself)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Steve:

Luminous is really pretty. Wish I could add more but don't know enough yet! Very nice to listen too. May have to listen a few times more!

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ted:

Cigar Tin Stomp sounds like tons of fun to play! Just awesome! smile

Rune E: A very nice mellow tune. smile Something I'd like to eat to! LOL

Awesome songs you guys. smile

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Rune: Lovely stuff! And the score, while it's not clear, gives a very precise point on what's going on!

It's very catchy and, exactly because of the bass and the flute, it reminded me a bit of Claude Bolling... wink Perhaps you've heard of him?

In either way I hope that this week I'll be able to post on of my works for solo piano. And it's not a miniature like last month! smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Okay so this is my first to share (only my second written!) I'm sorry there is no music to accompany the score but I'm still having issues recording at the moment.

I think it sounds better than I expected! LOL Anyways hope you can enjoy a beginner's attempts. smile

Opus. No.2.

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
This is my take on the écossaise form. Though it is not in 2/4... nor is it dance-y... and I don't think it's very Scottish. I guess it's nothing like an écossaise. ha

http://musescore.com/joel_w/untitled

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Joel_W
This is my take on the écossaise form. Though it is not in 2/4... nor is it dance-y... and I don't think it's very Scottish. I guess it's nothing like an écossaise. ha

http://musescore.com/joel_w/untitled

Joel you may think it's none of those things, but I thought it was dance-y, though perhaps not Scottish. It was delightful and should be longer, there's a lot you could do with this.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joel,

I agree with Steve. And it IS delightful.

I would, however, like to comment on the difficulty level of your work(s)... I think it's a tad more difficult that one would expect... :-/ But still it's a brilliant piece of music. (and there are a few tiny spots in the score that need correcting, if you want me to let you know...).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Joel,

I agree with Steve. And it IS delightful.

I would, however, like to comment on the difficulty level of your work(s)... I think it's a tad more difficult that one would expect... :-/ But still it's a brilliant piece of music. (and there are a few tiny spots in the score that need correcting, if you want me to let you know...).

Thanks Steve and thanks Nikolas.

Nikolas, I would love advice.

Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Great Joel,

I'm glad you're so open about this. Here goes:

1. Any clashing elements should be eliminated. Some slurs touch the notes, etc...
2. If you're unclear about the pedal, just let it be. Are you sure you want pedal in the half of bar 1 and then at bar 4 only? I bet most pianists would use a bit of sustain pedalling around the places of the big gaps (to bridge the space that is), and perhaps in other places as well.
3. The dynamics go between the two staves, not above (the dim. sign in bar 4).
4. The tempo markings and alterations always go above the two staves.
5. A dynamic marking at the end of a bar is a bit weird (the last p on bar 12). It's difficult to say exactly when it applies.
6. There appears to be missing a slur in the final bars. How you want these 16ths played?
7. But even more, there's a staccato dot in hand the last bars, but not all. Is this intentional or not?
8. Finally. The doppio movimento. Ok, I get what you mean and it makes sense, but somehow I think that 32nds would be a better choice. They would surely panic the pianist and righfully so. Right now you're cheating the eye a bit like this... wink

hope these comments help a bit.

Nikolas

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Great Joel,

I'm glad you're so open about this. Here goes:

1. Any clashing elements should be eliminated. Some slurs touch the notes, etc...
2. If you're unclear about the pedal, just let it be. Are you sure you want pedal in the half of bar 1 and then at bar 4 only? I bet most pianists would use a bit of sustain pedalling around the places of the big gaps (to bridge the space that is), and perhaps in other places as well.
3. The dynamics go between the two staves, not above (the dim. sign in bar 4).
4. The tempo markings and alterations always go above the two staves.
5. A dynamic marking at the end of a bar is a bit weird (the last p on bar 12). It's difficult to say exactly when it applies.
6. There appears to be missing a slur in the final bars. How you want these 16ths played?
7. But even more, there's a staccato dot in hand the last bars, but not all. Is this intentional or not?
8. Finally. The doppio movimento. Ok, I get what you mean and it makes sense, but somehow I think that 32nds would be a better choice. They would surely panic the pianist and righfully so. Right now you're cheating the eye a bit like this... wink

hope these comments help a bit.

Nikolas

Wow, this is great advice. I am a total newbie and I appreciate it a lot.

I feel as if I am not educated enough to be composing on (virtual) paper...

Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Joel_W
Wow, this is great advice. I am a total newbie and I appreciate it a lot.

I feel as if I am not educated enough to be composing on paper...
Glad to know that these comments are helpful.

And don't you EVER talk about educated enough and composing, etc... Just do as you please and we can help each other! I'm constantly asking for help from others you know! smile

Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
And here we are with my own work.

It's a simple (composition wise) etude in G# minor. And yes it's tonal all the way! wink

www.nikolas-sideris.com/EMF/etude.mp3

www.nikolas-sideris.com/EMF/etude.pdf

Comments

The recording is from a midi file. I don't have the time to study the work to a decent enough level, so this is what you get in this case... I have edited the midi file and added a better sound, but still it's too mechanical.

The work itself was composed around 17 years ago... It's one of my first complete works. This is (perhaps) why it's simple. And it also feels stolen in a way, since the main melody is very close to plenty of other works... Anyhow...

Hope you'll enjoy it.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Rune: I have always wanted to play stuff like your waltz but I think a certain amount of conventional jazz background is necessary. I like several of your chord changes very much. For some odd reason they remind me of Brubeck, but that might just be because his is among the little jazz I have heard in any depth. Either way, your piece is very polished and captures its particular sentiment very well indeed.

Nikolas: What struck me about your piece was a reminder of just how effective silences can be, such as those near your conclusion. I suppose most of us are so busy filling time with sound that we tend to forget that no sound at all, even just a small rest, is also a creative element, an option, with meaning and implication. I found your piece attractive, with a peculiarly sinister quality I cannot quite put my finger on.

Last edited by Ted; 01/07/13 06:43 PM.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I've forgotten to comment on Beccas little doodle! Her Opus 2!

First of all, thanks for sharing Becca. Yes, you're a beginner in composition, but sharing and being open means the world to everyone! Your hand writing is clear enough, but also shows very clearly your lack of experience in writing music! smile

The piece has structure, which is great in itself. It's very simple and you didn't even change the left hand, but despite that it's a very nice effort!

How do your new pencils feel? The scan looks quite nice!

R
R
Nikolas,I think your Etude is joyful and exciting. Wondering if it is supposed to remain as a piano piece? I feel that it would be suitable for brass instruments.
Becca, Nikolas and Ted. Glad you like my piece. Thanks for your kind comments! Much appreciated.
Joel, I can not comment on your composition as I don’t read music (yet !)
Nikolas, Never heard of Claude Bolling but I found some of his work at YouTube. Thanks for the heads up!
A ballad by McCoy Tyner was the inspiration source for my piece.
Theme for Nana
Joel, I would love to add drums to my recording but I find it difficult to get satisfactory results when working with jazz music. I will give it a try.
Hmm.. “Chick” is a good expression for a hi hat sound. I will remember that.
Prior to the digital sampling era, I used to simulate hi hat sounds on recordings by whispering “sicketisicketisicketi :-)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Nikolas! smile

I've been writing out lines to get used to the forms. Hopefully they will eventually come naturally to me! Now that I've gotten the pencils sharpened I like them just fine! I'm using a standard HB. smile

I figure I'll start changing up my left after I get more comfortable with some basic forms. Simple is good for me right now. smile

Now I have to listen and comment.

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Joel:

I have no idea what an écossaise is. LOL Your Doodle sounded more ragtime to me. (but I'm a beginner so who knows lol) It's a neat little tune.

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nikolas:

That made me think I should turn around because someone is sneaking up on me! That or a detective is about to find his man and have a huge fight to win for the good guys! Very dark and very enjoyable!

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Nikolas,

Your etude was great. Nice dramatic development of your idea. The idea does sound familiar, but where you take it is not familiar at all. Thanks to Ted for the reminder about the importance of silence.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission