2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Palindrome #2010296 01/06/13 11:35 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Palindrome
Originally Posted by worov
...Maria Tipo (a truly underrated pianist)....

Maria Tipo may be underrated, but I remember back in the 70s two discs (LPs) of her Scarlatti were released by Ricordi, and the classical reviewer for Time thought they were the best piano records of the year. Unfortunately, the reviewer had virtually no knowledge of Italian, and translated "Dischi Ricordi" as "Dischi Records." The few people I knew who were traveling to Italy at that time were unable to locate the records because of that, and it was years before I found them. It was worth the wait; she definitely has her own voice that comes through in the music.

i highly recommend this tipo album:

http://www.amazon.com/Scarlatti-18-Sonatas-Maria-Tipo/dp/B00005RD9O/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

worov #2010341 01/07/13 01:33 AM
P
P

Wow - a gem. Thanks for the heads up. Also I love that particular version you posted - very natural and song-like.

I'm so tempted to promote myself to grade 2, perhaps just for this one piece, but I guess I can wait. smile

pianoslacker #2010347 01/07/13 01:54 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoslacker
Wow - a gem. Thanks for the heads up....

Yes, it is!
And actually it is played a bit. I first heard it where I first heard most of them: Fernando Valenti's harpsichord LP's -- and fell in love with it immediately.

Mark_C #2010372 01/07/13 03:25 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Wow - a gem. Thanks for the heads up....

Yes, it is!
And actually it is played a bit. I first heard it where I first heard most of them: Fernando Valenti's harpsichord LP's -- and fell in love with it immediately.

Yes, quite a few seem to play it. I checked out Gilels and Maria Tipo on youtube. They seem to play it in a more mannered way.

Perhaps worov meant it's not being given out to the grade 2 students. Maybe the teachers are keeping it for themselves? smile

pianoslacker #2010387 01/07/13 04:23 AM
W
W
Maria Tipo may be underrated, but I remember back in the 70s two discs (LPs) of her Scarlatti were released by Ricordi, and the classical reviewer for Time thought they were the best piano records of the year. Unfortunately, the reviewer had virtually no knowledge of Italian, and translated "Dischi Ricordi" as "Dischi Records." The few people I knew who were traveling to Italy at that time were unable to locate the records because of that, and it was years before I found them. It was worth the wait; she definitely has her own voice that comes through in the music.

Sadly, these two LP records have never been re-edited in CD format and that's a shame because they are amazing as you say. Someone had the kindness to upload them on YouTube. Here is the playlist :

Maria Tipo : The Ricordi LP from the 1970's

Her EMI recording mentionned by Entheo is very good too. I also recommend this one :

Maria Tipo : Scarlatti sonatas and Mozart Concertos

About K32, yes, I meant the piano teachers don't assign this piece often to the students. I know the piece has been performed : Inger Södergren has played it, Maria Tipo has recorded it at least two times and Michael Lewin has recorded it too.

If you are interested in discovering more of the Scarlatti sonatas, Naxos is currently recording a complete set. There are 14 volumes already. Each volume is played by a different pianist. I strongly recommend these CDs, they are very good music with several underplayed sonatas.

Last edited by worov; 01/07/13 05:30 AM.
worov #2010407 01/07/13 06:15 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Scarlatti is one of my favorite baroque composers. My favourite performers are Horowitz, Pogorelich, Anne Queffelec, Mikhail Pletnev, Inger Södergren and above all Maria Tipo (a truly underrated pianist).

Here are some of my favourite :

K30 Cat's Fugue

K95 : very good to practice hands crossing

K404

K515

K547

K32 : this most beautiful piece is dead easy (grade 2) but is never played. Don't ask me why.

K213

K27 : my all-time favourite.

There are at least wonderful sonatas 540 other sonatas he composed, but I don't have the time to put all the links.

Here are all the links -

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScarlattiSonata/videos?view=1&flow=grid

I don't know who is playing the harpsichord on these - Scott Ross, maybe?

wr #2010450 01/07/13 08:19 AM
W
W
I don't know who is playing the harpsichord on these - Scott Ross, maybe?

Thank you for the links. To my knowledge, there are only two complete sets on harpsichord : Scott Roos and Pieter-Jan Belder. So if the recordings in these links are all made by the same performer, I guess it could be one of these.

Last edited by worov; 01/07/13 08:19 AM.
worov #2010518 01/07/13 11:23 AM
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
To my knowledge, there are only two complete sets on harpsichord : Scott Ross and Pieter-Jan Belder.

Whilst sleuthing through Google I read that Fernando Valenti recorded 330 of the Scarlatti sonatas, surely a decent chunk of them?

Does anyone here have any of those old LPs? (Mark?) They were highly praised.

Jason
Works1 #2010523 01/07/13 11:34 AM
B
B
Normally, someone starts a debate on whether one prefers these Sonatas played on the harpsichord or piano (or guitar, or harp, or ukelele...), but as nobody has started it yet, I'll say that I don't like the harpsichord in Scarlatti (nor in Bach, except as a continuo instrument wink ), and of the several CDs I've got, all are played on piano.

Pletnev is my favorite, followed by Christian Zacharias and Yevgeny Sudbin.

If music be the food of love, play on!
argerichfan #2010579 01/07/13 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Does anyone here have any of those old LPs? (Mark?) They were highly praised.

Unfortunately I don't! My college (that was 1000 years ago) grin had probably the whole set; if not, then most of those LP's -- and I just listened to them there.

Works1 #2010604 01/07/13 02:38 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Actually, I love Scarlatti's work more than Bach's. It is so enjoyable to listen and to play.
I just do not like to learn long pieces. One time a teacher of my friend's asked what I am going to play for a competition. She told her Scarlatti and Mozart, and the teacher's reply "Suicidal!" HAHAHAHAHAA....She was correct!!!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
Actually, I love Scarlatti's work more than Bach's. It is so enjoyable to listen and to play.
I just do not like to learn long pieces. One time a teacher of my friend's asked what I am going to play for a competition. She told her Scarlatti and Mozart, and the teacher's reply "Suicidal!" HAHAHAHAHAA....She was correct!!!

I'd say most of the sonatas are five minutes and under. And if you take into account that many of them just have 2 sections that are each repeated, you are only "learning" half of the actual duration of the piece, which makes them very nice to learn.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by didyougethathing
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway

I'd say most of the sonatas are five minutes and under. And if you take into account that many of them just have 2 sections that are each repeated, you are only "learning" half of the actual duration of the piece, which makes them very nice to learn.

I agree that is why I am a big fan of Scarlatti's sonatas.

Works1 #2010831 01/07/13 09:33 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Bozhanov's Scarlatti is always irresistible for me, also, Kuntz's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw5QLyzq3tg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBi6_jzl5aU

but i also like Pogo's early recording, Schiff's, Horowitz's. my former teacher loves Babayan's Scarlatti's CD:

http://www.amazon.com/Scarlatti-Son...spell&keywords=barbayan+scarlatti+cd

Works1 #2011650 01/09/13 11:36 AM
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I believe there are at least 2 cd complete collections, but have not purchased a set yet because I find my ear becomes tired after listening to many sonatas from Scarlatti in a row. I usually don't have this problem as I really like a wide variety of music, but I will continue listening to a lot of Scarlatti and will hope my interest increases with familiarity. Does anyone else have this experience?

P
P
Originally Posted by Chopinlover49
I believe there are at least 2 cd complete collections, but have not purchased a set yet because I find my ear becomes tired after listening to many sonatas from Scarlatti in a row. I usually don't have this problem as I really like a wide variety of music, but I will continue listening to a lot of Scarlatti and will hope my interest increases with familiarity. Does anyone else have this experience?

I've been thinking about this. grin Too much music can certainly seem like a nightmare. And in any case is listening to 3, 15, or 550 Scarlatti sonatas really better than listening to just one?

I did hear one time a musician - I have no idea who now - proposing, at least theoretically, concerts composed of just a single piece of music.

Imagine: 6 pm you shower, shave, put on your evening dress, apply make-up. The chauffeur toots down in the street. You go down, drive to the hall. You hang around in the foyer, the bell rings, you take your seat in the auditorium. The lights go down. The pianist emerges, bows, you applaud. He takes his seat at the piano, plays a Scarlatti sonata. You applaud, he bows, he disappears. You go out to supper.

Wouldn't this likely be the most intense musical experience you ever had, and truly in the spirit of music? And even if you weren't really listening with all your attention on this particular occasion, you'd surely make a note to do so next time.

From this perspective the idea of making balanced programmes for concerts starts to seem almost barbaric. I don't know what other folk think?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Imagine two months ago, I watched Schiff performing WTC bk 2. He played very well. However, after 20 minutes, I started getting tired of listening to the same stuff.

Works1 #2012183 01/10/13 11:08 AM
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Gilels, Tipo, Benedetti ...

pianoslacker #2012192 01/10/13 11:32 AM

I've been thinking about this. grin Too much music can certainly seem like a nightmare. And in any case is listening to 3, 15, or 550 Scarlatti sonatas really better than listening to just one?

I did hear one time a musician - I have no idea who now - proposing, at least theoretically, concerts composed of just a single piece of music.

Imagine: 6 pm you shower, shave, put on your evening dress, apply make-up. The chauffeur toots down in the street. You go down, drive to the hall. You hang around in the foyer, the bell rings, you take your seat in the auditorium. The lights go down. The pianist emerges, bows, you applaud. He takes his seat at the piano, plays a Scarlatti sonata. You applaud, he bows, he disappears. You go out to supper.

Wouldn't this likely be the most intense musical experience you ever had, and truly in the spirit of music? And even if you weren't really listening with all your attention on this particular occasion, you'd surely make a note to do so next time.

From this perspective the idea of making balanced programmes for concerts starts to seem almost barbaric. I don't know what other folk think?
You're joking, I assume?

pianoloverus #2012228 01/10/13 01:14 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

You're joking, I assume?

No, not joking really, but maybe being 'idealistic'.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission