2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Schroeder II
Originally Posted by Brian Lucas
Originally Posted by Schroeder II
Problem? I can't sing. It's not from not wanting to. I actually love singing and was in glee club in high school.

No, the issue is I physically can't sing any more due to vocal chord damage from a bad flu bug a few years back. It's not as if I intend to be a professional entertainer after all.
Have you had this verified with a vocal doctor? I'm asking because I've never heard of the flu permanently destroying a voice. In fact, it's very hard to destroy your voice for good. The most common problem of a rough voice are nodules or polyps, both temporary problems that can be fixed.

I sing professionally and I had my tonsils removed a few years ago. I had all kinds of trouble from that. Took about a year of vocal therapy and constantly scoping my throat to overcome the problems. But eventually it came back. The voice is resilient and hard to destroy. I'd get another opinion if you love to sing so much.

I hadn't considered medical opinions. Based on the above I will give it some consideration.
I'm not sure what the definition of temporary is here but the abrupt change occurred after a bad week of flu induced coughing in 2005. If it was going to fix itself I think it wold have happened by now.

There have been some famous singers that lost their voices and regained them through Surgery or other therapy. So, can't hurt to look into it.

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I can match pitches but I don't sing well.

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
D
D
What a great idea Starr Keys If they ever make a musical based on Freddy Krueger I will definitely audition for it smile

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I thought I was a soprano until today. I had a hard time hitting high A (I think A5). Not only hit the note I also had to sustain it. I am very comfortable up to F#. After that it always depends on luck. Sometimes I can hit it. But it's erratic. I'm gonna ask my choir director to have me sing alto.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I thought I was a soprano until today. I had a hard time hitting high A (I think A5). Not only hit the note I also had to sustain it. I am very comfortable up to F#. After that it always depends on luck. Sometimes I can hit it. But it's erratic. I'm gonna ask my choir director to have me sing alto.

FarmGirl #2009773 01/06/13 12:21 AM
M
M
Yes, I do regularly sing as a second discipline, actually. I believe it to be extremely helpful in piano studies, as well (and piano studies to be extremely helpful with vocal studies). Funnily enough though, if asked by one of my piano teachers to sing along with my playing, I feel extremely shy about it and I can't make myself do it!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kymber
I can match pitches but I don't sing well.

I can't even match pitches if alone...
I can sing a melody only if I follow the same melody played or sung. My piano teacher says I should practice and improve, but I don't have much time so I prefer studying my piano pieces. I sometime sing on melodies when my children practice piano.

Last edited by torquenale; 01/06/13 07:14 AM.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by torquenale
(I sometime sing on melodies when my children practice piano).

Good morning, buon giorno, I'd just like to say

[Linked Image]

(But please take out the parentheses!)

FarmGirl #2009839 01/06/13 06:25 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl

Is your choir director a trained singer? If yes, might s/he be able to give you some technique to be able to get to that A comfortably? High A starts moving out of the comfort zone. I was in a choir that had an ambitious young director, and there were an alarming number of hoarse voices after rehearsals - unwise on his part. The next choir included a professional singer who was one of the soloists (Mozart Requiem) and she gave us the warm-ups as well as being there for consultation on technical problems. The first choir director was not a singer, and he dabbled in "technical training" which had been discontinued because of the harm it did - my primary reason for leaving that choir.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by landorrano

(But please take out the parentheses!)

Done! Fatto!
Better now? smile

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
D
D
I wish I had more time to join to a choir.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
She is not a singer but a trained organist holding a doctorate in it. Today she brought in a professional singer and she helped us tremendously. She warmed us up and told me to focus down (we can even bend our knees) and sing the note. It's all mental. It worked like a magic. I was hitting the A without shrieking. She told us its all mental. I was restricting my vocal code unconsciously when i was trying to get up there. By bending the knees or focusing downwards the moment we need to hit the note, seems to relax it.

Originally Posted by keystring

Is your choir director a trained singer? If yes, might s/he be able to give you some technique to be able to get to that A comfortably? High A starts moving out of the comfort zone. I was in a choir that had an ambitious young director, and there were an alarming number of hoarse voices after rehearsals - unwise on his part. The next choir included a professional singer who was one of the soloists (Mozart Requiem) and she gave us the warm-ups as well as being there for consultation on technical problems. The first choir director was not a singer, and he dabbled in "technical training" which had been discontinued because of the harm it did - my primary reason for leaving that choir.

Last edited by FarmGirl; 01/06/13 09:11 PM.
FarmGirl #2010251 01/06/13 09:57 PM
M
M

Sounds like a technical issue. You most likely are a soprano if F# is fine for you (altos don't like that note!), you just need some help in what to do for your upper notes. You may want to drop down to alto, but find a good voice teacher to help you out or you may end up a tenor someday smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F
F
Originally Posted by Morodiene

Sounds like a technical issue. You most likely are a soprano if F# is fine for you (altos don't like that note!), you just need some help in what to do for your upper notes. You may want to drop down to alto, but find a good voice teacher to help you out or you may end up a tenor someday smile

I agree with Morodiene. I assumed I was an alto until I had some really good training. My teacher has proved to me that I have a strong soprano voice, with a good range (which is getting bigger the more I sing) It's worth the time invested, believe me!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission