2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
What audio interface (or thing) would you use for connecting a Kawai MP10, a Mic, a PC and some studio monitors?

T
T
Currently I use and Allen & Heath ZED14 mixer. There are many smaller interfaces out there that have only a couple inputs but you will outgrow it quickly. I outgrew mine after a few months. The most important thing to note regarding mixers is the quality of the preamps. A bad preamp will equal noise in your end recording. So depending on your budget there are many decent mixers in the $250 plus range. Mackie, Allen & Heath, Yamaha all have pretty good preamps with the Allen & Heath having the most head room.

NP2, Arturia Laboratory 61

Addictive Keys, Kawai EX Pro
Heil PR-40 Mic, Allen & Heath Mixer, Yamaha HS80
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Commonly used USB interfaces among forum members:

* Presonus audiobox USB
* M-Audio Fast Track Pro
* Focusrite scarlett 2i2

Not sure if all these can record from the mic and the piano at the same time, though. Might need to get a slightly higher end version with more inputs.

Last edited by gvfarns; 01/06/13 09:09 PM.
T
T
The Focusrite scarlett 2i2 is the one I sold. For $80 more you would be better served with a mixer such as this. IMO http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mackie-profx12-professional-compact-mixer

NP2, Arturia Laboratory 61

Addictive Keys, Kawai EX Pro
Heil PR-40 Mic, Allen & Heath Mixer, Yamaha HS80
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by thercman
The Focusrite scarlett 2i2 is the one I sold. For $80 more you would be better served with a mixer such as this. IMO http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mackie-profx12-professional-compact-mixer

What is it that "better serves" with the one you recommend over the 2i2 ?

Just more inputs ?

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
S
S
The Mackie ProFX12 is quite nice, but its USB interface is limited to two channels. Basically, it allows you to send only its main stereo output to your computer, rather than individual input channels. This makes it problematic to use for multi-track recording.

If all you ever want to do is record a stereo mix of live piano/vocal performance, the ProFX12 will work fine. It's also a handy box to have for live gigs and small sound reinforcement applications.

If, however, your main intended application is desktop recording, and you want to edit and process vocal and piano tracks separately in your DAW software, you might wish to consider using an audio interface that supports multi-channel audio over its USB connection.

For instance, if you want to record stereo audio from the MP10 together with vocals from one mic, each on a separate track in your DAW software, you'll need an interface with three or more simultaneous analog audio inputs, and three or more channels of output over its USB connection.

Most interface boxes provide I/O channels in increments of two. There are several good desktop 4-in/4-out USB audio interfaces available, that also provide headphone and line-level monitor outputs.

Take a look at the PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL and the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6. Both have enough I/O to let you record stereo piano and vocals into separate tracks of your DAW software, and plenty of monitoring capabilities. Street prices are under $300 US. I notice that Sweetwater currently has the AudioBox 44VSL bundled with the well-regarded Studio One DAW software.

Kind regards,

Ben

J
OP Offline
J
I've been reading reviews, and ProSonus AudioBox 44VSL and the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 seems like two of the best option to go.
Does anyone has any really good, or really bad experience with either of those? What about the software and drivers they come with?

Thank you all!

B
B
Originally Posted by Javi Cazua
I've been reading reviews, and ProSonus AudioBox 44VSL and the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 seems like two of the best option to go.
Does anyone has any really good, or really bad experience with either of those? What about the software and drivers they come with?

Thank you all!

I use the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 ..It is bulletproof...We also have the Presonus Fire Project for my wifes drums..Also, flawless..
Now the question will be firewire or USB...?? Are you using a MAC or PC...??

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
One word of caution: if you go with the lower-end USB interfaces($40) be prepared to have it fail at some point or another and need replacing. I went through 2 or 3 of these.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I'm using the Apogee Quartet with a Mac. Really great interface for Mac users.

Last edited by Hideki Matsui; 01/07/13 10:31 AM.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
Presonus, Tascam, and M-Audio are all quality interfaces. However, I am biased to Steinberg units as their drivers get insanely low latency.

www.soundcloud.com/btrailblazer

Cable-Nelson upright piano, Casio WK-200, Mackie MR5MK2 monitors, Cubase Artist 7, Steinberg's The Grand 3, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 interface, Asus R500a-RS52 Windows 8, i5-3230M 2.6 gHz, 6GB RAM, 750GB HD (5400RPM)
I am using EMU0404USB (4 ys old, was 200 EUR) with Genelec8020s (600 EUR), EMU PS12 sub. (400 EUR) + Sennheiser HD650 headphones (450 EUR). I am doing no mixing (should be possible with 2 mics), very nice sound. Not thinking about update of any of them at the moment.

Acoustic: own clavichord!, Burger&Jacoby,Biel (nice vintage vertical)
Digital: CA65; Pianoteq; Sampled:Galaxy VintageD+Vienna(Bösendorfer)
Sampletekk Black,PMI, etc...
Harpsi: Beurmann Dutch+Sampletekk, Clavichord:PMI+Wavelore+organs

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission