2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
... but come on, who likes this really?

What is it about this piece which brings out the most perverse insanity?

Methinks the 'Molto Moderato' was a huge miscalculation on Schubert's part, it doesn't really mean anything at all, but I'll be damned if Schubert thought of it as an Adagio Sostenuto. Beethoven would never have been so sloppy, but OTH, Schubert was too busy writing too much music.

Sort of like the Second Amendment to the US Constitution. All the trouble that has caused, and will continue to do so, but at least with Schubert we aren't dealing with... well, never mind.

From my experiences, D960 pianists who diverge from Molto Moderato get a lot of controversy but also popularity, with Richter being the prime suspect. Pianists who stick with molto moderato never get any attention, so there are a lot of underrated D960's out there like De Larrocha's.

Adding to the topic of recordings, I wanted to say that Horowitz's interpretation sounded bad to me - I feel like he missed the whole point of the sonata (which in my opinion is to create that "Schubertian" mood). Horowitz's unpredictable improv doesn't work well for the D960.

EDIT: errors

Last edited by DieSchoneMullerin; 01/05/13 10:06 PM.
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
in D.960 Richter was insane, unmusically slow and rigid at that, he was probably making fun of his audience, and with a good deal of succes, but come on, who likes this really?

It's not just in D960 (1) that Richter was very slow in: he's also very slow in almost all Schubert which isn't fast grin - like the Moments musicaux D780 No.2 & 6 and Sonata in G, D894 (1), which is monumentally slow. It might be his vision of Schubert as a valedictory composer......

Haha I remember watching Richter's D894 on youtube. Worth watching if you have a whole day to kill grin

D
OP Offline
D
Also on the topic on Schubert, I'd like to say that Kempff's Complete Schubert Piano Sonata cycle is in my opinion THE Schubert recording to own. It personally introduced me to D960 and a host of underrated piano pieces like D459 and D894.

Last edited by DieSchoneMullerin; 01/05/13 10:16 PM.
T
T
And BTW I think if we were getting into that, we'd have to talk about a lot more than "tapering," but sure, that's an example of the kind of thing we could get into.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Wallace Thompson
Wallace, is there any particular reason that you've been copy/pasting responses all day?

On topic: I can't listen to Richter's first movement. But I agree with DieSchoneMullerin. He gets a lot of "recognition" for having such a slow first movement. I can give him credit for maintaining such a high level of concentration (at least I hope he's concentrating) throughout the sonata, seeing as it takes him 48 minutes to play.

Donald Lee III
BM '16 James Madison University
MM '18 Cincinnati Conservatory of Music

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DonaldLee
Wallace, is there any particular reason that you've been copy/pasting responses all day?

Huh....no wonder it looked familiar! grin

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I think Richter played a lot of pieces slower than most would expect, especially the Rach 2, but some prefer this. I feel the D960 played by Wilhelm Kempff was the best recording I have heard (and I have heard a lot of them!) His playing is mesmerizing. This piece is sublime and I think he loved it as much as I do.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Chopinlover49
I think Richter played a lot of pieces slower than most would expect, especially the Rach 2, but some prefer this. I feel the D960 played by Wilhelm Kempff was the best recording I have heard (and I have heard a lot of them!) His playing is mesmerizing. This piece is sublime and I think he loved it as much as I do.

I like that you used the world mesmerizing to describe Kempff's playing. I think that's the perfect word to describe his Schubert interpretations.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Brendel (whose Schubert I generally admire) is also very fine in the D960, but modifies the 'heavenly lengths' in bypassing the exposition repeat. He has his reasons -and has written brilliantly in defense- but I've never been entirely convinced.

Jason
Notwithstanding my love for every note of the piece, IMO the only reason to consider taking the repeat in public performance would be to not waste the great 1st ending.

I think that for what it's worth, if we polled AUDIENCES who come to concerts where the piece is to be played, the vote on whether to take the repeat would be pretty heavily nay.

BTW depending on the performer, I might vote yea. grin

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Notwithstanding my love for every note of the piece, IMO the only reason to consider taking the repeat in public performance would be to not waste the great 1st ending.

thumb

I think that for what it's worth, if we polled AUDIENCES who come to concerts where the piece is to be played, the vote on whether to take the repeat would be pretty heavily nay.

What do they know? wink

Jason
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
After having played through the opening 24 measures a few times ... (utter agony) ...
I am reminded why I avoid Schubert like the plague ...
it’s all so darn predictable .

Had you chaps noticed how the lad homes in on that inner F to his octave chords and doubles the dose in the LH with a galaxy of the same, tame, lame Fs.

My house has got a tin roof ... so go easy with the rocks ... but I’ve got two large dogs and they have been known to bite.

Just stirring.

B
B
Originally Posted by btb
After having played through the opening 24 measures a few times ... (utter agony) ...
I am reminded why I avoid Schubert like the plague ...
it’s all so darn predictable .

Had you chaps noticed how the lad homes in on that inner F to his octave chords and doubles the dose in the LH with a galaxy of the same, tame, lame Fs.

My house has got a tin roof ... so go easy with the rocks ... but I’ve got two large dogs and they have been known to bite.

Just stirring.

I think you need reinforcements: a meteor the size of a baseball is coming your way from on high, from dear Franz. It may be small, but it's very fast, and don't forget E=m x v squared.... wink

If music be the food of love, play on!
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If it's from Franz (there have been so many) ...

I might by Haydn.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission