2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 9 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
RachFan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
In response to the critics, in this newer recording I tried to better distinguish foreground melody from background accompaniment for better clarity of line. Hopefully it will resolve the issue.

LINK:

http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=49184.msg535413#msg535413

Simply click on the second (lower) music file to hear it.

Thanks.

David

T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, David! Well, I listened to the old and the new recording back-to-back, just to make sure I was properly "grounded" -- and I think that there's no question that the new recording is far superior to the first. Here I can hear the singing line (really lines) throughout, and the shaping and phrasing is far more natural to my ear. I still have a couple of general suggestions -- I think you're accelerating somewhat too much in measures 19 - 29: I hear continued "singing" throughout that section, in an operatic sense, and while there is indeed an increased urgency towards the "ff" climax, I think it needs to give the "singers" time to achieve the "big moment". My other cavil is I don't hear enough of the left hand melody in the restatement of the original material, relative to the right hand -- to me, BOTH melodies need to be heard with equivalent power, although you voiced the soprano line just beautifully.

In addition, I'd like to hear more "softs", more whispers -- but, like you say, I don't think you have the piano to do that.
Overall, a really nice improvement, and thanks for sharing this!

R
RachFan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hi Tim,

Yes, in the restatement it's almost contrapuntal duet there, and the LH melody has equal rights to its melody being at a like volume to the RH. Whereas the objective was to thin the texture and separate foreground from background, I probably was more biased toward the RH part. I appreciate your revisiting this, and am glad that you found this rendition generally superior and more to your liking than the earlier one. Thanks!

The piano tuner worked on the key dip and let-offs. So I'm still adjusting to that touch change now, as was the case in doing the newer recording. It should improve the ability to get a broader range of dynamics.

David

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RachFan
[...]The piano tuner worked on the key dip and let-offs. So I'm still adjusting to that touch change now, as was the case in doing the newer recording. It should improve the ability to get a broader range of dynamics. [...]

Every time I have significant work done on my piano, I feel like I have a "new" piano. Did your tech put teflon powder on the jack knuckles? That can seriously effect the speed and sensitivity of touch, too!

The second link is by far the better of the two. I am curious, though. Why does that link say "april"?

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
R
RachFan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hi Cinnamonbear,

Thanks for that compliment on my playing.

I haul out the action and brush teflon powder, using a small artist brush, on the knuckles myself once a year. While the action is out, I then slightly adjust the leveling of the hammers down or up as necessary, and then tighten the action screws for all 88 keys.

April is my last name. I also post at Piano Society. (You can find my musical bio there on the Artist page.) They have strict rules on tagging recordings including the file name format. Their convention is also to use consistently Rachmaninov rather than Rachmaninoff. Piano Street has no such rules, so I simply used the same file name that I had previously used to post at Piano Society. Once posted there, I certainly could have changed the file name again before putting it on Piano Street, but forgot to do so. Usually I do change it though to just composer, opus and number.

David April

Last edited by RachFan; 01/10/13 12:45 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
LOL! Thank you, David! That certainly helps me put the timeline back in order! grin I was about to give you a compliment for a prescient performance in your archives--one that predicted the comments in the other thread. laugh

Anyway, kudos, again, for honing a new performance. Steel sharpens steel.

--Andy Strong

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
R
RachFan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hi Andy,

I don't plan on a third recording of this prelude, but am glad that you enjoyed the second one. It's drawn some really good comments, and I'm glad of that. It did get you to wondering about the file name though ha-ha!

David

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission