2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, danno858, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2009299 01/05/13 07:29 AM
W
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
W
[Linked Image]

For general interest, is anyone able to explain the advantages of setting the hitch pins at the bottom right of this photograph so far back?

Lakeside posted the image last year.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Withindale
For general interest, is anyone able to explain the advantages of setting the hitch pins at the bottom right of this photograph so far back?

No.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I think they just thought it looks pretty. Having everything as long as possible going toward the rim probably elongates the look of everything.

Del #2009493 01/05/13 03:43 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Del

No.

ddf

Now Del, how can you say that? Obviously, this piano has the longest tenor string for its size over any competitor, which I am sure the marketing department would have used to its advantage [Linked Image] . Just forget the fact that it has no function, and is muted to prevent anything audible whistle

Russell I. Kassman
Technician -Consultant

FORMER/Semi-Retired: USA Rep.for C.Bechstein & Sauter; Founder/R. KASSMAN Piano; Consultant - GUANGZHOU Pearl River Piano Co.

www.RussellKassman.com
M
M
Could it have something to do with how stress is applied to the plate?

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I think it has more to do with how Steinway strings their longer models. There is a lot of imitation in piano design.

Semipro Tech
Del #2009674 01/05/13 08:50 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Question for Del:
In that section of the soundboard impedance usually is improved by adding more mass to the bridge therefore the use in certain pianos of an extra-block connecting the treble to the bass bridge.
In theory bringing the hinge-pins closer to the bridge would change the down-bearing of that section therefore a modification would be need it on the treble bridge. If this modification affects the mass of the bridge will affect also the impedance of the soundboard.

Everything being said; here is my question: Is it possible that by keeping the hinge pins at a certain distance a particular down bearing and bridge mass can be achieve that is optimal?

I’m just trying to find a theory that is reasonably objective.

Last edited by Kurtmen; 01/05/13 09:16 PM.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Lakeside posted the image last year.

Yes

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kurtmen
Question for Del:
In that section of the soundboard impedance usually is improved by adding more mass to the bridge therefore the use in certain pianos of an extra-block connecting the treble to the bass bridge.
In theory bringing the hinge-pins closer to the bridge would change the down-bearing of that section therefore a modification would be need it on the treble bridge. If this modification affects the mass of the bridge will affect also the impedance of the soundboard.

Everything being said; here is my question: Is it possible that by keeping the hinge pins at a certain distance a particular down bearing and bridge mass can be achieve that is optimal?

The hitch pin placement has nothing to do with the downbearing in this case, since that is determined entirely by the height of the string rest and the height of the bridge.

Dale Fox
Registered Piano Technician
Remanufacturing/Rebuilding
L
LFL Offline
L
Where is KawaiDon to answer this (I assume he has the answer...)

Shigeru Kawai SK5L
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Larry Buck

Yes

Inquiring minds await with great anticipation....

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kurtmen
Question for Del:

As Dale has pointed out, it’s not a matter of string bearing. This is determined by the relative height of the bridge and the bearing bar.

By nature the bass-to-tenor transition is difficult to blend in overstrung pianos. There are a number of reasons for this and I’m working on a full Journal article on the subject. And that still won’t cover everything.

Yes, some manufacturers do add both stiffness and mass to the end of the tenor bridge by connecting it to the bottom end of the bass bridge. I don’t know if this is done in the Shigeru Kawai or not.

There are other ways of stiffening the end of the tenor bridge and adding effective mass. Many manufacturers are careful to place a rib immediately opposite the end of the bridge. It is also common to extend the length of the tenor bridge somewhat beyond the last set of bridge pins.

The string backscale can have an adverse effect on the mobility of the bridge if it is too short. But this is fairly uncommon; especially on a piano of the length shown at the start of this topic. There is no hard and fast rule for the backscale length but there is a point of diminishing returns. Depending on just where in the scale the bass-to-tenor transition takes place this will be somewhere around 150 to 200 mm. The lower down-scale the bass-to-tenor transition takes place the longer it should be. But even so, making it excessively long does not result in any acoustical advantage.

In my work this only comes up as an issue if a piano exhibits a particular tone disparity across the bass-to-tenor transition and, to my knowledge, this is not a problem with the Shigeru Kawai pianos. I’ve not studied their particular design but I’ve not heard any complaints about this aspect of their performance.

Making the string backscale too short can—and sometimes is—a problem but making it longer than absolutely necessary presents no acoustical problems that I am aware of.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Would the placement of the hitch pins effect plate stress and tuning stability??

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The plate at that point is very wide - it looks like it could be over 20 cm. Moving the hitch pins a few cm in one direction or another will have no impact on bearing, stress, tuning stability or anything else that I can think of, except for the look. Positioning the pins close to (or just back from) the middle of that wide space is probably the most visually acceptable compromise. Not every detail in pianos is deeply rooted in tone or performance!

JG
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B

This hitchpin distance allows a long soundboard with more square meters of surface - with the disadvantage of many kilograms of iron for the frame. A big soundboard may be an advantage. But the advantage would be even bigger if also the strings would be as long as possible within a given chassis/case design.

Pls excuse any bad english.

Centennial D Sept 1877

Working on Berceuse op.57
Nocturnes op. 9-1,3 15-1,2,3 27-2 32-1,2
Going Home (Mark Knopfler)
LFL #2010152 01/06/13 06:11 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I checked on a Kawai RX3 grand piano and the hitchpin for the lowest bass note, A, is just 2.5cm from the rim and 1.5cm from the end of the plate.
I have no idea how this compares with other similar pianos, but in relation to the OP, is this just the way they make Kawai grand pianos? My understanding is that the plate and string layout for the Shigeru Kawai pianos are similar to the RX instruments.

Kind regards,

Robert.

Last edited by Robert 45; 01/06/13 06:11 PM.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Robert 45
I checked on a Kawai RX3 grand piano and the hitchpin for the lowest bass note, A, is just 2.5cm from the rim and 1.5cm from the end of the plate.
I have no idea how this compares with other similar pianos, but in relation to the OP, is this just the way they make Kawai grand pianos? My understanding is that the plate and string layout for the Shigeru Kawai pianos are similar to the RX instruments.

Kind regards,

Robert.

I think you'll find we are talking about the plain wire on the right side of the picture, not the bass (wound) strings.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I could not sleep all last night worrying about this.

This is truly one of life's great conundrums and I certainly hope that we can get to the bottom of this soon.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Furtwangler

This is truly one of life's great conundrums and I certainly hope that we can get to the bottom of this soon.

I think we did, and the conclusion was "because it looks cool".

Now you can get some sleep...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BerndAB
This hitchpin distance allows a long soundboard with more square meters of surface - with the disadvantage of many kilograms of iron for the frame.
This would seem to suggest that the hitch pin location somehow influences or even dictates soundboard size. In fact, it is more the other way around.

A big soundboard may be an advantage. But the advantage would be even bigger if also the strings would be as long as possible within a given chassis/case design.
It has been posted many times by people who are in the know - Del among others - that this is not the case.

JG
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission