2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Since I once bought an iPod 1 day before Apple released new iPods, I've got an issue with buying certain things :-)

If I'm not totally uninformed, Yamaha updated the YDP-160 to the YDP-161 after circa 2 years. Now it's about 2 years since the release of the YDP-161.

So... Are there any rumored or known updates coming to the YDP-161, P-155 (also one of my alternatives) or to (similarly priced) Yamaha digital pianos in general?

Current: Yamaha Clavinova
Sold: Yamaha M5J Walnut
Playing ability: Absolute Beginner(s)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm not sure about the YDP-161, but it's widely anticipated that an updated version of the P155 (perhaps with GH3 and the CFX samples) will be unveiled at NAMM - if it isn't I'll eat my Nord gigbag.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Dave from Dayton thinks it would be a P-165 with 6 speakers

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
B
OP Offline
B
Thank you for your answers. When do you people think Yamaha will introduce model based sounds in the Clavinova range? Or in the Aurius (YDP) range?

Is it probable that they will introduce it in the AvantGrand range first and then 2 years later in the Clavinova range? CP 1 is already model based from what I understand?

Any guesses why Yamaha and Roland introduced model based sounds in their stage pianos before they did in their "furniture" digital pianos? confused

P
P
Boyonahill, I think that Yamaha is likely to replace the YDP 161 and 181 models soon, because they were recently obsoleted by Arius YDP-S51, which costs the same as YDP-161 and features newer "Pure Cf" sound.
Manufacturers usually try to avoid the situation of having on offer both older models and a newer, cheaper model with better specs.

Kawai CA65 :: Galaxy: Vintage D, Vienna Grand, Giant :: Pianoteq 5 :: Kontakt 5 :: Reaper :: True Keys pianos
"Manufacturers usually try to avoid the situation of having on offer both older models and a newer, cheaper model with better specs."

I wonder if it makes so much of a difference. People go into a music shop, they try, look, they buy. There`s so many models all with different sounds (different amplifiers, sound engines,speakers, pointing downwards/upwards etc) you choose what sounds best to you. With the hearing aid in, of course .. . . But if it looks naff, you buy summat else.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The YDP-142 was recently announced, so it is certainly predictable that the 162 & 182 will be forthcoming. Along with it came a price increase. AnnouncementaAt NAMM? Maybe, but I still anticipate at least few months before they arrive to stores here. Yamaha has tight lips and I couldn't speculate about other markets. The YDP-S51 still isn't here in the US.

I've heard no indications that the P155 is cycling. I don't see a driving feature that will lead to a clear update. I wonder if they are developing a model that more closely competes with the FP-7F and ES7?

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
T
T
One correction: The YDP-S51 is in the U.S. - saw one in Los Angeles a few weeks ago -- sitting next to a YDP-C71PE. Played both; sounded the same through the speakers even though the sample is supposed to be better on the S51. Perhaps with headphones I would have noticed the improvement. (Only discernable difference is that the speakers on the S51 were a bit muffled).

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Hi Sam, thanks for posting- how much of an increase in price over the 141?

I almost purchased a 140 2 years ago for $799- but got the P95 instead; even though the speaker specs were the same, I always felt the YDP 140 sounded better.

Now, it has the CF listed but not the Tru Circle speakers that were in the P105.

(Mid life crisis over- P105 went back; 2 slabs is enough, 1 for home, 1 for the road)

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
B
OP Offline
B
If it is help for anybody a dealer here is having quite a sale on his demo P-155's. I don't know how close Yamaha is working with their dealers. How much do Yamaha tell their dealers about coming products?

So I'm hoping for a P-155 replacement leading to some new exciting piano and low prices on the "old" P-155.

Last edited by boyonahill; 01/05/13 03:48 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission