2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
New to this forum, and finally considering purchasing a piano for myself now that I'm an "adult" and have my own house. It's been many years since I've seriously played and I was fortunate/unfortunate (depending how you look at it :p) to learn and play for a long time on a nice steinway L. I'm going to try to get back into playing (primarily classical) but some jazz and newer stuff as well. That's my backstory..

A new U1 around here seems to be $7k, and it seems like I can get more for my money for a good condition used one. I stopped by the local Jordan Kitts to try some new yamahas and it's no surprise I like the U3.. of course new those are it seems another couple thousand. The T series is affordable but it's clearly not as nice as the U1, again no surprise since it's cheaper. So, at this point I think I have it narrowed down to a used U series.

The pianos I'm considering at this time are largely Yamaha U series uprights. I'm close to a pretty large used piano dealer being just outside of DC, so I will be paying them a visit, but I'm wondering if there would be any concerns to buying an older used U series. It seems like many of these used pianos are gray market these days, but is there really nothing to worry about because of the warranties the companies offer? Personally, I don't want to have to ever rely on a warranty, and especially after the warranty period, I don't want to have to be worried that the piano is going to fall apart (obviously not literally). What's the lifespan on a U series before it needs serious reworking/rebuilding?

I came across a person selling a late 90's model U1 that I will take a look at as well obviously w/o a warranty. Assuming it hasn't been heavily used and everything looks good (I hope it's not too bright), it seems like a 15 yr old piano would be much more preferable to a 35-40 yr old piano, right?

Finally, I've read that the action is different on uprights compared to a grand. Is there really a big difference in action between a good upright and grand? Doing some reading on this forum I've read people say that an upright can "hold people back" after a certain point.. Yes they definitely feel a little different, but still seem good to me..?

If anyone has any thoughts or input I'm all ears. Thanks.

Edit: I'm limited to an upright due to space constraints and a "modernish" looking cabinet, so preferably a black piano.

Last edited by PianoWarrior; 01/04/13 12:28 AM.
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I wouldn't limit myself to Yamaha. They are great pianos overall, but you are also going to pay for the name. Have you tried other makes?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
I havent considered any others because the one stipulation is that the piano has to be black and semi contemporary looking. It seems like there are many black yamahas. Im open to suggestions but the wife wants a black one. Thanks.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I wouldn't limit myself to Yamaha. If "black" is the main reason, aren't there plenty of other black pianos? Are you looking at verticals because of price limitations, space limitations, or ...? Your Steinway L memory caused me to wonder.

If I were you and could afford a decent grand, I'd find a way to get one.

P
OP Offline
P
Sorry I forgot to specify that I'm looking at an upright because of space limitations. I'm in a townhouse and don't have the space to devote to a grand. I plan to eventually own a grand again one day (and hopefully a steinway), but that's a good ways away from now realistically. I briefly looked at steinway uprights, but for the money I don't think they're worth it, especially if I don't plan on keeping it forever.

If there are other brands that anyone recommends I'm open to suggestions. My reason for the Yamaha is the reason why they tend to be popular/more sought after.. they're reasonably priced, are overall good quality, and have a good reputation. My feeling is that if I want a very good piano, I should just get a grand piano, but that isn't an option now, so I'll stick with a good upright.

Sounds to me like you've pretty much got your mind made up already... and, it's not a bad choice either. smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
OP Offline
P
I guess my biggest question that perhaps slipped under the radar is what is preferable.. a much newer piano that probably wasn't heavily used (15 yrs old) vs. a good condition 35-40yr old piano w/ a 10 yr warranty.. Assuming the price is very similar..

My biggest concern is buying a piano that needs fixing/messing with within the 10yr warranty and especially after the 10yr warranty. Are problems likely to crop up or will the piano need a rebuilding after a certain amount of time/wear? I'm leaning towards the newer one, especially if I can get it a few hundred dollars cheaper..

I know my mother's L still plays wonderfully being just over 20 yrs old, but it could probably use some "regulating" (not sure if that's the right word) because a few notes' action are a little off, but nothing big.

Last edited by PianoWarrior; 01/04/13 12:37 AM.
Originally Posted by PianoWarrior
I guess my biggest question that perhaps slipped under the radar is what is preferable.. a much newer piano that probably wasn't heavily used (15 yrs old) vs. a good condition 35-40yr old piano w/ a 10 yr warranty.. Assuming the price is very similar..

My biggest concern is buying a piano that needs fixing/messing with within the 10yr warranty and especially after the 10yr warranty. Are problems likely to crop up or will the piano need a rebuilding after a certain amount of time/wear? I'm leaning towards the newer one, especially if I can get it a few hundred dollars cheaper..

I know my mother's L still plays wonderfully being just over 20 yrs old, but it could probably use some "regulating" (not sure if that's the right word) because a few notes' action are a little off, but nothing big.

As much as I like old pianos (or most any piano smile ) I’ve come to the conclusion that newer is most always better, though there are exceptions.

And, I wouldn’t want to make any of the dealers here mad at me, but I don’t put much stock in a dealer warranty. It can be a big hassle to get some dealers to honor the warranty, and if the piano is in good condition to start with, the likelihood of a major problem is slim to none.
Good luck.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
M
M
Kawais are very good (and come in black). There's also Essex by Steinway since you're partial to Steinways, but you do pay for it. I have also heard some very good things about Hailun uprights - it's a relatively little-known name in the States (made in China), but they've been highly rated. I am curious to try one and see if I like it for my studio.

Yamahas are great pianos like I said, but don't be afraid to try others. And since you're looking at used, be sure to just play it and see if you like the feel and sound. If so, have a technician check it out before purchasing, even if you buy from a dealer. It's worth the peace of mind.

Last edited by Morodiene; 01/04/13 09:14 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I don't know if you are anywhere near Philadelphia, but the Cunningham would be worth considering.

Also, I prefer the Bostons to the Kawai verticals, and like either of them more than Essex. Buying a new Boston would put you on the road to an S&S-O with the trade-up policy.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
P
OP Offline
P
Ok thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll definitely try out some Kawais. I thought I did play a couple some time ago and preferred the Yamaha, but can't remember why. I'll have to play a few for a true comparison back to back. My concern with something like Essex is the increased cost, and there don't seem to be too many of them, although I'm certainly open to try one if there's one around. I'm a few hours from Philly, and never heard of Cunningham. If there's one around here locally I'll definitely give it a try though.

I'm no label whore, so whatever plays/sounds best to me and is a good piano is what I'll purchase. It just seems like Yamaha is the "easy" pick since it's very popular/common, and they're good pianos.

P
OP Offline
P
Rickster,

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured, but a 2nd opinion definitely helps. I've played piano alot, but playing and purchasing a good one are two entirely different things.

Regarding warranties I largely feel the same way. If you get a good piano, especially one of relatively young age, a warranty is probably unnecessary. If you get a piano that's older, some things could fall under the "wear" clause vs. warranty clause, and you're left footing the bill regardless. Thanks for your input!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Give the Essex a try. For their size, they have a bit better bass than the Kawais. The Kawai does have the better action. From my experience, having owned one of each, they are pretty much equivalent. They are certainly two different instruments with their own pluses and minuses. Both are very stable in holding a tune. Not sure why Larry Fine places the Essex so much lower in his ratings.

Gary

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Have you checked out Craigslist? It will give you an idea of what is in your area and the price ranges.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Give the Essex a try. For their size, they have a bit better bass than the Kawais. The Kawai does have the better action. From my experience, having owned one of each, they are pretty much equivalent. They are certainly two different instruments with their own pluses and minuses. Both are very stable in holding a tune. Not sure why Larry Fine places the Essex so much lower in his ratings.

3 guesses - and the first 2 don't count.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
P
OP Offline
P
I checked craigslist but the majority of pianos on there are cheaper uprights/spinets and grand pianos. My one requirement is it has to be a larger upright. The sound difference is huge and the action is noticeably better on the better/larger uprights. I first started out playing on a baldwin spinet, and while it was a great little piano, I've definitely outgrown them. I am frequently checking craigslist though in case anything pops up.

I think I have my mind narrowed down to a certain subset of pianos.. just need to find one now. smile

Last edited by PianoWarrior; 01/04/13 11:27 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Furtwangler

3 guesses - and the first 2 don't count.

Essex doesn't buy an advertisement in Piano Buyer?

I've got one of those weird LA lives, so have two pianos. The Essex EUP-111 lives in Sierra Madre, the Kawai K-2 lived in Huntington Beach for three years.

Both have their good days and bad days. Sometimes I'd be frustrated with the tone or action of one or the other. The majority of the time I was happy with both of them. Both have strengths and weaknesses. Both are good pianos.

I didn't think the Essex overpriced, BTW. Maybe I got a good deal.

I would give a slight edge to the Kawai, but really not sure why the big difference in ratings by Fine.

Gary
P
OP Offline
P
Took a look at the local U1 sold privately and while it's a good piano in seemingly very good condition, the action felt a little light and the sound was a little bright for my taste.. damn.. I guess I'll go take a look at the local used dealer tomorrow. I've played a couple U3's now, a new one and gray market one, and both had a warmer/deeper tone which is more to my liking (compared to the U1). I'm afraid if I "settle" for a U1 I'll be kicking myself later on wishing I had gotten a U3.. frown

Last edited by PianoWarrior; 01/04/13 06:24 PM.
M
M
Originally Posted by PianoWarrior
Took a look at the local U1 sold privately and while it's a good piano in seemingly very good condition, the action felt a little light and the sound was a little bright for my taste.. damn.. I guess I'll go take a look at the local used dealer tomorrow. I've played a couple U3's now, a new one and gray market one, and both had a warmer/deeper tone which is more to my liking (compared to the U1). I'm afraid if I "settle" for a U1 I'll be kicking myself later on wishing I had gotten a U3.. frown

Then please don't "kick" yourself for getting a grey market piano. I did without realizing that even existed, just thought I was getting a good deal. Had I known what grey market was, I would not have bought it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Morodiene,

Is there a reason why you wouldn't have bought it? Did you have problems? Many dealers seem to offer warranties on them, but I'm a little hesitant regardless..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission