2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
LFL raises a valid point..the age of the player..if your 60..unless your a Rubinstein or
Brubeck living into your 90s and still playing, chances are you'll only have that one piano.. investment value is a moot point..

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
May I add to my post. If you are going to get 20-25 good years out of your new piano you are going to need a top class technician to look after it. It makes a lot of sense to choose your technician first; your piano will only be as good as your technician in the long run. I understand it's harder to find good technicians than good pianos in some areas.

You are sensibly treating your piano investment only in terms of yield. Your technician, your investment advisor, should be able to assess the potential of your proposed purchase as well as its current state, and may even be able to point you to a better option. It will then be up to him or her to maximize your returns.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Nicely stated, Withingdale! Admirable and excellent advice.

Clef

L
LFL Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Withindale--I found the "better" option, I think. After extensive (and perhaps overly analytical)financial considerations, including looking forward for 20 years, I decided to get a new SK5, instead of the used one and instead of the restored Steinway. Although it is more outlay of $$ initially, it seems like it will cost me the equivalent of (only) $400-500/year extra, over the next 20 years--taking into consideration the cost of the used SK5 plus the additional cost of regulation plus the anticipated reconditioning in 8-10 years (replacement of strings, damper felts, etc). For that, I get the Millenium III action, fancier birds-eye maple on the inner rim, longer keys, ABS-carbon fiber whippets (instead of just ABS on the 2012), reinforced key slip, the MPA visit, 10 year warranty, and a hopefully worry-free instrument for the next 20 years. The 2012 Shigeru has some presumably improved design features. Seems like an acceptable trade-off.

Shigeru Kawai SK5L
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Dear LFL,
Congratulations on your wise purchase! Shigeru Kawai are superb pianos and the SK5 will give you the power and range of a 6'+ grand piano.
As an aside, and with respect, you made a delightful malapropism in your above post when you referred to parts of the piano action as "whippets". I think you intended to say "whippens or wippens". A whippet is a British breed of dog!!

May you have a Happy Christmas with your new piano!

Robert.

Last edited by Robert 45; 12/22/12 05:12 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Withindale
May I add to my post. If you are going to get 20-25 good years out of your new piano you are going to need a top class technician to look after it. It makes a lot of sense to choose your technician first; your piano will only be as good as your technician in the long run. I understand it's harder to find good technicians than good pianos in some areas.

You are sensibly treating your piano investment only in terms of yield. Your technician, your investment advisor, should be able to assess the potential of your proposed purchase as well as its current state, and may even be able to point you to a better option. It will then be up to him or her to maximize your returns.

1. I think a good piano has more than 20-25 good years and a lot more if one replaces parts that eventually need it.

2. The only need to choose a tech first is of one needs or wants help selecting a piano. In fact, it is hard to choose a tech first because the choice can and I think should depend on how well one thinks the tech cares for your piano. One can reasonably choose based on other people's recommendations also.

3. Thinking of a piano as an investment and a tech as an investment adviser is not a particularly good approach IMO.

4. I think it's misleading phrasing to say that one's piano is only as good as one's tech in the long run. If one could buy a Bosendorfer or other Tier 1 for the same price as an very inexpensive one with the caveat that one only could use a "decent", but not expert tech I bet a lot of people would choose this scenario. A more accurate statement might be that the care one's piano gets is only as good as one's tech.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/22/12 05:49 PM.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by LFL
Withindale--I found the "better" option, I think. After extensive (and perhaps overly analytical)financial considerations, including looking forward for 20 years, I decided to get a new SK5, instead of the used one and instead of the restored Steinway. Although it is more outlay of $$ initially, it seems like it will cost me the equivalent of (only) $400-500/year extra, over the next 20 years--taking into consideration the cost of the used SK5 plus the additional cost of regulation plus the anticipated reconditioning in 8-10 years (replacement of strings, damper felts, etc). For that, I get the Millenium III action, fancier birds-eye maple on the inner rim, longer keys, ABS-carbon fiber whippets (instead of just ABS on the 2012), reinforced key slip, the MPA visit, 10 year warranty, and a hopefully worry-free instrument for the next 20 years. The 2012 Shigeru has some presumably improved design features. Seems like an acceptable trade-off.

Much more than an acceptable trade-off.......it's a very wise decision. Congratulations !!!!!!!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Yes, LFL, a better option indeed. A fine example of rational decision making coming up with the right answer. Endless possibilities to explore and enjoy. Who could ask for more? Best wishes.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congrats to a very smart choice! Please share pics with us when you get it. We all love those threads here on PW!

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
L
LFL Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Sorry about that typo, Robert. Thanks for the correction.

Shigeru Kawai SK5L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Robert 45
Dear LFL...A whippet is a British breed of dog!!
Stranger still, it's the street name for a can of whipped cream, used for the Nitrous Oxide high. shocked

Congrats! Your new-to-you piano will give you a natural high. grin

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new Shigeru! I'm sure you'll be ecstatic with it's sound and performance. No matter what you decided, the fact that you researched the options, tried different pianos, and made your choice based on your tastes, playing, and needs, means you made a well-informed decision that you can feel happy and confident about.

Please post pictures when it's delivered. Congratulations again. Fabulous Christmas present to yourself!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by LFL

greetings,
Why would you think you need new strings in this piano? I have many pianos in my care with strings 60-100 years old and the strings are just fine. In fact, a number of Steinways from the '20s and 30's I care for have less false beats than brand new Steinways.

Spend your money on regulations and voicings, instead.
Regards,

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus,

I think it's misleading phrasing to say that one's piano is only as good as one's tech in the long run.
Maybe we should change it to say,
"A piano is only as good as the long term maintenance it gets by a qualified tech over its lifetime." We've all heard the sad tales of high end pianos that went for years without tuning, voicing, or regulation.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
j&j
Please note I have started this thread to discuss these issues. I think they are out of place here now that the OP (who knows the importance of maintenance) has decided on a new Shigeru SK5.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Originally Posted by j&j
pianoloverus,

I think it's misleading phrasing to say that one's piano is only as good as one's tech in the long run.
Maybe we should change it to say,
"A piano is only as good as the long term maintenance it gets by a qualified tech over its lifetime." We've all heard the sad tales of high end pianos that went for years without tuning, voicing, or regulation.
Not really. The condition of the piano is dependent on the care of the tech.

But if one starts out with a very poor piano no amount of tech care will make it great. And even after 20 years a sensational piano that's not played eight hours a day and is kept in an appropriate environment may very well sound much better than an inferior piano even if the the sensational piano is simply tuned once a year by a tech with average ability. Of course, it also goes without saying that more frequent care by a great tech will make it sound even better than minimal care by a tech with less skill.

Suppose you had these two choices:

Choice 1:You are given a well prepped highest quality performance grade piano(the very highest level in the Fine rankings)of your choice for free. You play it 1-2 hours a day and keep it in a room with stable humidity at the correct level. You have it tuned once year by a tech with decent but not super skill. Every ten years you can get one day of voicing and one day of regulation by the same tech. All the tech services are for free also.

Choice 2. You are given the same size intermediate level consumer grade piano for free. You play it 1-2 hours per day and keep it in a room with stable humidity. You have the services of a super tech who comes twice per year for tuning and also does lengthy regulation and voicing every 4 years for as much time is necessary. The tech services are for free.

I bet a lot of people would choose choice 1 and that their piano would sound and play far better after 20 years than those who chose the second option.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/23/12 10:12 AM.
L
LFL Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Ed--thanks for your input. All I can say is that the RPT who inspected the used SK5 is VERY reputable and that is what he advised. I think, in retrospect, it was more of a "consider this" but not "you'll have to". And, he was coming from a very professional viewpoint of keeping the piano in "optimal" condition, not just "acceptable".

Shigeru Kawai SK5L
L
LFL Offline OP
OP Offline
L
SK-5 (new) delivered today...with assistance of a crane to reach 2nd floor of the house...video to follow.

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/IMG569.jpg

Shigeru Kawai SK5L
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Unbelievable!

Going to see some tomorrow myself

Congratulations!!

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
L
LFL Offline OP
OP Offline
L
See new thread "SK5 delivered"

Shigeru Kawai SK5L
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission