2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by catpiano
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I may also recommend that if she does contact you in the future that you again have no times available. Unless there is a great excuse and you have a good feeling about it, it sounds to me like someone who will continue to waste your time.

And if she does contact you and you want to start up lessons, I would first suggest you talk on the phone, not email, and then you arrange a meeting, not a lesson. Then after you have met you can decide if you want to teach them. You'll get a good idea if it will work once you meet them - which is why I do interviews before signing students up for lessons.

I'm not sure I would do initial meetings at no charge only because I drive to people's houses and in some cases I drive pretty far. I'm on a tight budget and wouldn't want to "waste" the gas money. If I'm ever in a situation where I'm able to teach from home I'll do that with every student.

And yet you wasted time by going to their house expecting to get paid and did not.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by trillingadventurer
I have noticed also that like seem to refer like. Flaky families refer other flaky families. Consistent families refer other consistent families. Leave space in your studio for solid students.

I actually don't see any correlations.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
C
OP Offline
C
Ummm....

Just got a voicemail from the mom saying "Just wanted to touch base on when we're going to start lessons. I'm hoping it's this Monday!"

What on earth?

I could give her the benefit of the doubt in assuming that she never got my last email, but I don't think that's the case.

B
B
I would drop her like a hot potato.

Bachelor of Music (church music)
Master of Church Music (organ, music education)
Piano Teacher since 1992
Church Musician since 1983
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I could give her the benefit of the doubt in assuming that she never got my last email, but I don't think that's the case.

How desperate are you? If you are in dire need of students (for financial reasons), then go ahead and see where it leads. But be aware that parents/students like this come with a huge baggage, one that will create a lot of headache down the line.

I have some students like this who give me a lot of grief, but I can't afford to fire them, not at the moment, anyway.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

How desperate are you? If you are in dire need of students (for financial reasons), then go ahead and see where it leads. But be aware that parents/students like this come with a huge baggage, one that will create a lot of headache down the line.

I have some students like this who give me a lot of grief, but I can't afford to fire them, not at the moment, anyway.

At this point, every new student makes a huge difference in my income. I can't afford to not take a new student just to avoid future headaches, unfortunately.

As it turned out, I spoke with the mom, and she was VERY apologetic. She said the whole family had been "sick" and she just assumed that we were starting after the new year. The lesson I learned in this is to not rely so much on email when communicating with parents.

I'm starting her kids on Monday, and we'll see where it leads.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
During the holidays, I'd say all bets are off for schedules and especially for starting new students. This family might be prove to be just fine.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission