2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 8 invisible), 2,105 guests, and 340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
adak Offline OP
OP Offline
so it has been said on this forum that pianoteq doesn't sound like a real piano. what are some alternatives? i would like to try them all.

Last edited by adak; 01/03/13 02:16 PM.

Casio Privia PX-150

T
T
I am currently trying two.

Addictive Keys - http://www.xlnaudio.com/productline/2

Kawai EX Pro - http://acousticsamples.net/kawai-ex-pro

Of the two I like the sound of the Kawai better.

NP2, Arturia Laboratory 61

Addictive Keys, Kawai EX Pro
Heil PR-40 Mic, Allen & Heath Mixer, Yamaha HS80
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Pianoteq, you may know, has a demo. Most other piano software packages are NOT available as demos. This makes it difficult to assess the offerings. Those few that had demos (as of a couple of years ago) were crappy pianos, and the demos only made me glad I did NOT buy them.

There's an online live demo at try-sound.com. They offer online play-sessions that let you try several different pianos. But this service is difficult to use. The long internet latency interferes terribly, rendering it all quite useless to me.

There are plenty of recorded samples from the piano software makers and on You Tube, but those don't give a proper sense of the sound, and they offer no means to assess the responsiveness.

You'll frequently see here recommendations for the Galaxy Vintage D. It's among the best, I think. At $150 or so you can't go wrong. There is no demo software.

I also like the Galaxy Vienna Grand ... but, again, no demo.

I originally used Synthogy Ivory v1.5. It has four grand pianos: a German Steinway, a Bosie, a Fazioli, and a Yamaha. But my other pianos are much better so I've abandoned Ivory.

I've not tried Ivory v2 (or their American Grand), but Ivory is expensive (and, for me, unnecessary since I'm happy with the Galaxy pianos). Once again, no demos.

There are many more: Kawai EX Pro, Cinesamples Piano in Blue (discussed very recently in another thread), Garritan Steinway, Alicia's Keys (blah!), The Giant, Imperfect Samples Fazioli, Art Vista Virtual Grand, TruePianos ... and many more. So ... since you originally said "I would like to try them all" ... be prepared to pony up a few thousand dollars! smile

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I have Pianoteq and a bunch of others, including Galaxy Vintage D and it has been my experience that none of these live up to whatever hype surrounds them. I liked all of them for a time but that never lasted. Apparently that is not the experience of many others on this forum since it appears they are completely happy with what they are hearing. I have not been so lucky.

It has not been for lack of trying, I assure you. Things have now evolved to where I have a reasonably good (meaning expensive) setup for sound production and delivery and still the result of generating sound with software products just does not please me.

I currently have the best sound I have ever produced and this has been stable for a couple of weeks. The major contributing factor to this was the purchase of the Kawai ES7 keyboard. It has a very nice internal sound and reasonably good speakers. I also purchased a pair of FOCAL CMS 40 powered monitors. I now run the sound from my ES7 out to a MIXER, do some EQing and then back through the powered monitors. I can leave it at that or layer it with some sound also through the ES7 speaker system. The combination often blends quite nicely to something pleasing to my ears. It probably could be improved with better (meaning more expensive) components (i.e. mixer, monitors) but for now it works for me.

As for the software products (Pianoteq,Vintage D,etc ...), I can run them through this same system and I just do not like what I hear. So, software might be the answer but maybe not. In my case, it hasn't worked out.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Large sampled piano libraries are the best as for the sound quality (over modelled), no doubt. But if you are looking for quick load times Addictive Keys is supposed to have a load time more around the speed of Pianoteq's, although I think it was sampled? Small library I guess.

So fast-loading libraries like Addictive Keys and Pianoteq are good for songwriting and DAW sessions where you wanna get in there and get your creativity down fast, and yet better than the lousy piano sounds included in your DAW. Then later you can load up your performance into one of your better, larger sample libraries for better quality. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of this setup, yet...

www.soundcloud.com/btrailblazer

Cable-Nelson upright piano, Casio WK-200, Mackie MR5MK2 monitors, Cubase Artist 7, Steinberg's The Grand 3, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 interface, Asus R500a-RS52 Windows 8, i5-3230M 2.6 gHz, 6GB RAM, 750GB HD (5400RPM)
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Start here: http://www.viennaimperial.com/

[video:youtube]cjl9l63g624[/video]

E
EO3 Offline
E
Originally Posted by dmd
I can run them through this same system and I just do not like what I hear. So, software might be the answer but maybe not. In my case, it hasn't worked out.

But can't the same be said also about acoustic pianos? Different people prefer different pianos. I think ultimately if we want to try to evaluate each piano in an objective way, first we have to establish, what's the end goal (playability, the best sound or a healthy mix of both).

I
I
Originally Posted by adak
so it has been said on this forum that pianoteq doesn't sound like a real piano. what are some alternatives? i would like to try them all.

I think the first thing that you need to do is make a decision to 'like what you like' and 'dislike what you dislike'. There are lots of people with different opinions, big egos, small egos etc etc on a forum such as this one. If you buy TruePianos and you think that it sounds and plays like the most amazing thing you have ever heard/played. Then keep it and use it. If other people tell you are wrong, it sounds poor, artificial so what.

I happen to like pianoteq. I like how it plays although it doesn't sound quite real to me. Imagine playing a real piano: the notes pop out as big 3D chocolate quavers, semi-quavers, crotchets etc. When you play pianoteq the notes pop out just the same but they have been laminated in plastic :-) Dunno how else to describe it.

Vintage D sounds better to me and I use it as well, but sometimes it doesn't feel quite as expressive as pianoteq.

So play the pianoteq demo, if you like it buy the stage version. If you don't maybe buy Vintage D, its not expensive.

Irmin

Acoustic: Restored Bluthner Grand - 1889
Keyboard: Kawai ES8
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Irmin
Imagine playing a real piano: the notes pop out as big 3D chocolate quavers, semi-quavers, crotchets etc. When you play pianoteq the notes pop out just the same but they have been laminated in plastic :-)

That's such a cute way of describing Pianoteq's shortcomings - I love it. smile

Greg.

I have to agree with that, regarding Pianoteq. But their latest, the Bluthner, is quite good. It's easily their best effort yet.

Unlike the rest of the Pianoteq stuff, this one is enough to make me think that maybe modeling has a chance.

B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by adak

I think the first thing that you need to do is make a decision to 'like what you like' and 'dislike what you dislike'. There are lots of people with different opinions, big egos, small egos etc etc on a forum such as this one. If you buy TruePianos and you think that it sounds and plays like the most amazing thing you have ever heard/played. Then keep it and use it. If other people tell you are wrong, it sounds poor, artificial so what.

I happen to like pianoteq. I like how it plays although it doesn't sound quite real to me. Imagine playing a real piano: the notes pop out as big 3D chocolate quavers, semi-quavers, crotchets etc. When you play pianoteq the notes pop out just the same but they have been laminated in plastic :-) Dunno how else to describe it.

Vintage D sounds better to me and I use it as well, but sometimes it doesn't feel quite as expressive as pianoteq.

So play the pianoteq demo, if you like it buy the stage version. If you don't maybe buy Vintage D, its not expensive.

Irmin

+1. Pianoteq is very playable, just not all that recordable for non-classical music. But i think its a great little company that keeps moving forward in its offerings. I really like Ivory 2's German Grand and American Grand but i guess i'm a steinway homer- i just find these two to be a very usable combination of believable playing and recording in a sampled piano. I also like Vintage D- not quite as much but that's just personal opinion- and in my opinion the Vintage D is the best value proposition in the sample piano market and a no-brainer at $150.

It really is purely individual ear preference. There are many acoustic recordings on youtube that i just can't stand. when i hear a hardened felt hammer, detuned grand i just want to pull a Jerry Lee Lewis and douse it with lighter fluid. To me, i'd much prefer to hear an in-tune digital sample than an out-of-tune acoustic. but some folks really like the harmonics and resonances of a de-tuned piano, and who am i to argue with them (unless they are trying to sell me their recordings). And many others find the resonance limitations of sampled pianos to be off-putting no matter how many GB's of sampled sound the program contains. you just got to develop your own opinions about this stuff.

Last edited by bfb; 01/04/13 09:10 AM.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
H
H
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I have to agree with that, regarding Pianoteq. But their latest, the Bluthner, is quite good. It's easily their best effort yet.

Is the Bluthner available in demo? (and if I only have Pianoteq demo)

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I use Pianoteq as a change of pace, periodically. I turn the volume down on the Bluthner (Player) model and it can sound very nice for some lights-down-low jazz through phones.

Or I might blend the Pianoteq sound through my monitors with my ES7 sounbd through my ES7 built-in speakers, very lightly. The various options are endless. It seems I need this variation periodically to keep the sounds fresh.

I rarely even try the other software products I have anymore. For me, they just are not particularly pleasing or interesting.

Last edited by dmd; 01/04/13 10:51 AM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Hookxs: Yes, the Pianoteq demo includes Bluthner.

bfb: This is spurious:
Originally Posted by bfb
I'd much prefer to hear an in-tune digital sample than an out-of-tune acoustic.
That's like saying you prefer a shiny new Toyota Corolla to a run-down, blown-engine, rusted-out, up-on-blocks Ferrari. At least the former goes, the latter not. But I don't think that's what's meant when someone compares a Corolla to a Ferrari.

Likewise, setting such conditions is not relevant when comparing acoustic pianos to digital.

K
K

+1

I am in the same boat. I also have Pianoteq and Vintage D. From the first one I like its playability. From the second one I like the sound. So it is a tradeoff. For playing I use Pianoteq (I mean, when I cannot play the upright... my preferred one smile )... for recording (I only record something from time to time) I use Vintage.

Originally Posted by Hookxs
Is the Bluthner available in demo? (and if I only have Pianoteq demo)

Yes it is. Download the last Pianoteq demo and you will get a demo of all of its pianos including the Bluthner. I have Pianoteq 4 but not the Bluthner frown ... IMHO is the best sounding piano they have released to date... they are improving with each release.

Regards,
Kurt.-

Last edited by kurtie; 01/04/13 10:58 AM.
H
H
Originally Posted by kurtie

Yes it is. Download the last Pianoteq demo and you will get a demo of all of its pianos including the Bluthner. I have Pianoteq 4 but not the Bluthner frown ... IMHO is the best sounding piano they have released to date... they are improving with each release.

Regards,
Kurt.-

I see, thank you. I probably have some older demo. I'll have to try it.

Hi, All!

For some 2-3 months I became a true bigamist with Pianoteq and VintageD. Pianoteq for playability, VintageD for the big sound. (The Galaxy Vienna Grand - their Bösendorfer - is an excellent instrument also.

I thought to have discovered the main shortcoming of sampled instruments: the carved in sound space perspective in the miced samples themself, which narrows the hearing experience to a very intrusive direction like traveling through an acoustic pipeline. How to heal the Achilles' heel of sampled Pianos Recently (before I have got my long awaited clavichord just before Christmas, since then I barely had the time to play digital) I could get a big breakthrough for myself, based on the above assumption about destructive perpectives:

I tried VintageD as a VST within Reaper (a good DAW) and let the sound go through the Spatialiser coming with Reaper (ReaSurround). The default stereo arrangement did it, I have a wonderful experience with it through my Genelec monitors - a big improvement to the shortcoming.

Perhaps another remedy contributing to eliminate the tiring effect was that I sold my 5 Ys. old CA51 and replaced it temporarily by a very old Kurzweil slab (PC88 with Fatar TP10), and the monitors are now sitting on it some 20 cm lower, so the sound is not beaming directly into my ears - also a change to the sound perspective.

VintageD is now a big revelation! I am recommending this very simple experiment and am very courious, what you would say to it.

Attila

Acoustic: own clavichord!, Burger&Jacoby,Biel (nice vintage vertical)
Digital: CA65; Pianoteq; Sampled:Galaxy VintageD+Vienna(Bösendorfer)
Sampletekk Black,PMI, etc...
Harpsi: Beurmann Dutch+Sampletekk, Clavichord:PMI+Wavelore+organs
H
H
Originally Posted by Temperament

I tried VintageD as a VST within Reaper (a good DAW) and let the sound go through the Spatialiser coming with Reaper (ReaSurround). The default stereo arrangement did it, I have a wonderful experience with it through my Genelec monitors - a big improvement to the shortcoming.

Woah! Then I need to try this... like, right now!

Pianist & Composer.
Steingraeber & Söhne C-212 CF, Kawai Novus NV10
VI Labs Ravenscroft, True Keys: Pianos; Garritan CFX Concert Grand, Synthogy Ivory II
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKKuqH6G1C9TuJosOx1dXaQ
https://holgerstiefpiano.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/holgerstiefpiano
H
H
Ok, just tried ReaSurround, but with Ivory American D. And I used my AKG K501 headphones, as I never play via monitors.

So here is my observation:
When I loaded the default stereo arrangement for ReaSurround(as described above), the main effect was a decrease in stereo width.
Which seems plausible to me, as the default arrangement in ReaSurround placed the left and right inputs basically at 50% of the stereo field.
I then disabled the ReaSurround plugin and decreased the Stereo Width parameter in Ivory itself, which yielded practically the same effect. After reenabling ReaSurround, playing around with the virtual input placement in ReaSurround did not produce any other significant changes to my ears.

Temperament, is it possible that due to your usage of monitors and their placement, you experienced an overly extreme stereo effect, which was then corrected by your usage of ReaSurround?
Could you describe in more detail how the sound changes for you when enabling ReaSurround?
Maybe you could also try turning of ReaSurround and then decrease the Stereo Width in Vintage D to compare the change to the sound?

I'm interested in your comments on this because I think you certainly might be onto something with your theory discussed in the "achilles heel" thread. However, right now I don't understand how ReaSurround could help changing the perspective of, let's say, a close miced sampled piano to a sound more resembling the player's position.

Pianist & Composer.
Steingraeber & Söhne C-212 CF, Kawai Novus NV10
VI Labs Ravenscroft, True Keys: Pianos; Garritan CFX Concert Grand, Synthogy Ivory II
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKKuqH6G1C9TuJosOx1dXaQ
https://holgerstiefpiano.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/holgerstiefpiano
adak Offline OP
OP Offline
here is a good review of pianoteq from hugh sung

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qHip2Gc29k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTbXnbfymdc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulS-N6PSRuc

he will probably be a greater piano player than i will ever be, and if pianoteq is good for him then it is good for me.

Last edited by adak; 01/05/13 01:12 PM.

Casio Privia PX-150

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission