2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 168 of 540 1 2 166 167 168 169 170 539 540

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
SwissMS - glad your recovery is coming along steadily - and how great that your teacher has specific exercises to help you with the week finger! Also - be patient with your Chopin. His works are so deceptive.... you can look at them and think, "Well, it can't be THAT difficult"... but then the truth will out!
Just enjoy the step by step progress towards a more satisfactory rendition - and imagine what you'll do with it later on down the road, with even more experience under your belt!

What fun to try so many lovely pianos! A great way to spend your morning

Stubbie! A ninth woohoo! Good for you - and thanks for your kind words!
Bobby - getting to the piano regularly is the key to success! Good for you!
Malkin, that must have been fun! What did your teacher play?
Were all the performers teachers?
Floydthebarber71 - now that's exciting! When will we get to hear you play? Do think about submitting to the February e-cital!

Wisebuff - I know which 1917 piano you were on! I bet it sounds even more delicious in person than in the recordings we've heard in the recital. What a lovely day - I wish I could have joined you.
Is the date set for your exam?
Thanks for your encouragement! Nice to know that even at your level you've still got to work on scales smile

PianoPraise - I love duets! I haven't played for a while. I did some with my former teacher but haven't done any yet with my new teacher.

I don't really have an AOTW, but a funny story.....

I moved my lesson time because I had an appointment this week. At the end of my lesson the next student quietly came in and I glanced over my shoulder and said hello and went back to what we were doing... When I stood up I realized that the young lady was a former student of MINE ! I laughed and apologized for not recognizing her. Our teacher asked me to share my jazz music with her and I am happy to do so.. I also suggested we could do a duet! I think she was a bit overwhelmed (she's only 16) by our enthusiasm, but she said ok..So maybe in the new year I'll be doing a jazzy duet!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

F
F
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Floydthebarber71 - now that's exciting! When will we get to hear you play? Do think about submitting to the February e-cital!

Definitely! Something to work towards...nice.

Zaahir

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
...Malkin, that must have been fun! What did your teacher play? Were all the performers teachers?...

It was a doctoral recital at the University; he was the only performer.

Beethoven: Moonlight Sonata
Schoenberg: Six Little Piano Pieces
Lizst: Trois Etudes de Concert
Debussy: Suite Bergamasque
Wild (Gershwin): Virtuoso Etudes on Popular Songs

Take a peek at his youtube if you like!
http://www.youtube.com/user/WeissmanPiano

Learner
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Not so much of achievement but I do have a couple of exciting things to report. My piano party plan is moving along just fine. I will have a total of 8 or 9 pianist. I think it's not so bad for the first time. It will be either 2/2 or 2/9. I will post it in the event area of the section as soon as I have the date finalized. I am asking everyone to hold the dates open. If anyone wants to join, you are welcome. Nothing fancy. It's in my house in Phoenix AZ.

Another excitement is that I get to play in a studio class in my teacher's college class on Jan 5. I haven't played on stage for ages and she thinks I need to do that. The last time I played on stage was when I was 15. Gee that's a long time ago. I'm happy but I'm also in a panicky mode. It will be a good prep for the piano party. I will play Brahmes Intermezzo 118 #2 and Bach f minor prelude from WTC Book II. I am working on the fugue now but decided not to play it at this time. It's still dodgy and completely sucky. For one thing i cannot play it if i look at the keys. My eyes are still completely fixed on the score when I'm playing. My teacher told me that you have to be ready 2 months before the performanceB if you want to play a fugue well. Anyway, I'm so excited. I will have to record my playing and force my friends to listen to me.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Malkin - what an interesting recital - such a lovely range of genres! I love the Suite Bergamasque! it must have been a great pleasure indeed.

Farmgirl - What fun! A piano party in your home - The dogs will be so happy to have more pianists, and your husband? Maybe he will go golfing smile

Also- good fun to play in the college class - a bit hard on the nerves, true -but exciting!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
What a great idea Farm Girl or two great ideas. The piano party is great socially and as an experience of playing for others. The opportunity to play in the college class sounds intriguing too. Let me know how that goes and I might sign up for one on my campus. Of course the other students would all be young and talented...which would be fun to experience. Every February our university offers a Piano Celebration where they have master classes and experts talking about piano. I've gone for the last few years and it gives me a glimpse of the academic side of piano.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I enjoyed reading all the updates. Congrats to CasinItaly on 3000 posts. Cheers.

Week 40: The choral concert last Sunday was very good. It was a nice oasis in an otherwise jam packed life schedule. Practice time often has the same effect. Some days practice was only ten minutes but I practiced every day. I tried to reclaim Ashokan Farewell, but it remains a challenge. The two Christmas tunes, God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman, and Silent Night are not fit for prime time, but do sound like music. During these short times on piano keyboard, I have settled on a core group of tunes that come easily. It includes Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and my originals: Shimmer, Simply Beautiful, March to the Sea (all at my signature link).

Another highlight of the week was a conversation with a stranger. I saw someone with some sheet music, Ava Maria and asked about it. Turns out she and her husband are singers. They sing at home as a hobby. I told her about my adventures on piano (and pennywhistle and flute), and the local Southern California music group Songmakers.

For those that would like to perform for friends or in public but are afraid, I suggest having one or two or three short goto pieces. End every practice with a quick play through at full tempo. That way a person will be able to play them when tired, perhaps distracted. The phrase I use, is I can play them in my sleep.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Not so much of achievement but I do have a couple of exciting things to report. My piano party plan is moving along just fine. I will have a total of 8 or 9 pianist. I think it's not so bad for the first time. It will be either 2/2 or 2/9. I will post it in the event area of the section as soon as I have the date finalized. I am asking everyone to hold the dates open. If anyone wants to join, you are welcome. Nothing fancy. It's in my house in Phoenix AZ.

Another excitement is that I get to play in a studio class in my teacher's college class on Jan 5. I haven't played on stage for ages and she thinks I need to do that. The last time I played on stage was when I was 15. Gee that's a long time ago. I'm happy but I'm also in a panicky mode. It will be a good prep for the piano party. I will play Brahmes Intermezzo 118 #2 and Bach f minor prelude from WTC Book II. I am working on the fugue now but decided not to play it at this time. It's still dodgy and completely sucky. For one thing i cannot play it if i look at the keys. My eyes are still completely fixed on the score when I'm playing. My teacher told me that you have to be ready 2 months before the performanceB if you want to play a fugue well. Anyway, I'm so excited. I will have to record my playing and force my friends to listen to me.

Can I come to your piano party? Ever since I got the Corvette, I have the temptation to just drive and drive and drive some more. It might be fun to drive from LA to Arizona for your party!

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Sam, of course you are always welcome. But it's a long drive (6 hours). Are you sure? I have never done it by myself. I always take turns with my husband. I know you are much younger than me but still! Please think about it and pm me if you decide to come. I'm just touched that you thought about joining us. Wish we were closer. Thank you.

B
B

Phoenix in February sounds like a great opportunity for all of us in the snow belt. Let's all descend on FarmGirl's party and thaw! smile

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Sam, of course you are always welcome. But it's a long drive (6 hours). Are you sure? I have never done it by myself. I always take turns with my husband. I know you are much younger than me but still! Please think about it and pm me if you decide to come. I'm just touched that you thought about joining us. Wish we were closer. Thank you.

I enjoy driving, and I think it could be a really fun trip!
I think if I have the 1st Ballade up to performance standard by then, then I'll do it.

I'm in New York now for the weddings of a few friends of mine, and so I met with my first teacher again. The lesson went for about 4 hours and cost me $300, but it was AMAZING! We went through pretty much every piece of music I have memorized, and while my teacher had things to say here and there as far as how to improve, he was so enthusiastic about the progress I've made since I last met with him. It was really inspiring, also because I didn't feel even slightly nervous when playing for him. I'd say I played to 95% of my capacity. I LOVE PROGRESS!! laugh

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Sam - ok, you are in. I think your Ballade will sound much better than most of our performances combined. You may get good advice from some of the advanced participants. Please PM me when you are ready to get more detail. I can give you information about reasonable hotels in the area too if you would like. Our house is a bit too cozy to accommodate you or anyone from out of state. I wish I could pamper everyone with individual rooms but we are econimically "intermediate" level as my piano skills (sigh).

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Bessel - yes defrosting is guaranteed. Although you will get frozen again once you go home. I heard it's not ideal to re-freeze things. Human too, I wonder

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Achievement? We had a wonderful piano party last night (not PW but my teacher's adult group). We played on a Yamaha grand in a house with very high ceilings all beautifully decorated for Christmas. Of course this one was all Christmas music and everyone contributed to the achievement. My first achievement was playing accompanist for my husband who sang "Mary did you know". That is a whole different kind of playing and I kept up with him and didn't mess him up. My solo piece went well...even the section of fast moving forte octave chords and concluded with a dreamy pianissimo section. A lovely folk hymn titled Brightest and Best (I'd never heard it before). We ended the evening with group singing and a final of Silent Night. I just love my piano friends.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
WiseBuff - that sounds wonderful, and congratulations on the duet with your husband! I'd love to hear something at one of the Denver piano parties.

And FarmGirl - I had thought about your piano party - after all, Denver is about 6 hours or so from here, and Phoenix not much different, but for this time February is iffy for me from some work and band gig situations. But I bet you guys have a great time - I take it mr. super-hunky is coming? One of these days -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Cathy, you bet no piano party without Mr. SH. I'm still aligning the dates. Sorry to miss you this time.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You will have to post enough pictures to keep the rest of us satisfied and longing to be there! And if the Corvette and Sam get there, we need pics of them too!

Learner
S
S
I was noodling in D and found 'Noel', how appropriate!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Farmgirl - Sounds like you are going to host a great piano party, drawing ABF'ers from all across the country!
When I held my get-together we had to send my dogs out for "mani-peddi's" for the day so nobody would be bothered by slobering Labs. Wine and beer most definitely loosened the ice for a group that were previously strangers, although I doubt it did much for the piano playing....at least not with me.

My teacher gave me a very sweet Christmas note saying that I was her hardest working student....and that it would eventually pay off in a big way. She always seems to know just when I need a boost.

For the last three weeks she has been helping me work on improvising with lead sheets. Just picking simple melodies with easy changes so far - this week I picked Sounds of Silence and my job is to alter the harmony from that shown on the lead sheet. Fun stuff.

Moonlight is getting closer. Parts of it sound very nice...others, not so much yet.

She's passed me on a jazzy arrangement of It Came upon a Midnight Clear. But it isn't really at a performing level, so I will have to work hard on it this week if I want to record it for the Holiday bar before Christmas.

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Teacher gave me two new pieces to start on. Snowflake Rag and Vivace. Both loaded with staccatos. I have started on the ragtime first, a bit itimidated by the Vivace right now. crazy Also conquered C & G scales in contrary motion at 85 bpm but I need to exceed 100. Not very exciting but fun.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
Page 168 of 540 1 2 166 167 168 169 170 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission