2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,303 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2008601 01/03/13 04:09 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I'm planning to sell my ebony Bechstein B from 1908 (6'10.5"), which was completely rebuilt in 2001. New everything, including soundboard, pinblock, newly converted action with Renner and Abel parts, new strings, and refinished. Additionally upgraded with a sostenuto pedal. The rebuilder did an excellent job, and was able to maintain a true Bechstein sound and feel.
Given the information, what is a fair asking price?

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I don't know, but I'll take it! grin

Just curious (and if you don't mind my asking), how much did adding the sostenuto pedal cost? I was just having a conversation about this a few days ago.

Last edited by DanS; 01/03/13 06:29 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi Mary, and welcome to Piano World!

I think pricing pre-owned pianos, rebuilt or not, is a difficult task, even for the pros. By-the-way, there are some excellent piano professionals who are members here... maybe some of them will chime in with helpful information.

I would look at what you have invested in the piano and then do some research on similar pianos for sale (which may be somewhat difficult due to the unique model you have). Ultimately, any piano is worth what someone is willing to pay and the seller is will to accept.

It sounds like you have a very nice instrument. smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
You don't indicate which geographic market you are located in. Many old Bechsteins have cracked plate struts where they cross the pinblock. If your piano had this and was repaired you should disclose this. In the greater Seattle area the private party selling price for a piano like yours that presented well to a player would be between $20K and $33K. Good Ivory, renown of rebuilder etc, can all play a part. What is your reason for selling since most pianists would find a piano like yours that presented well to be a lifetime keeper.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
M
OP Offline
M
I'm in Manhattan. As far as I know, there was never any cracking in the plate, and the rebuilder never mentioned anything as such. I invested about $36k altogether in it. I believe the addition of the sostenuto pedal ran around $1500. I can't remember exactly, because it was all lumped together with all of the other rebuilding costs. If anyone here wants to check it out, I'd be happy to oblige! wink

The reason I'm selling is because I moved to a much smaller apartment (alcove studio in Manhattan), and sadly, it didn't fit up the stairs, and I couldn't afford to hoist. It is a bit of a giant beast, after all, as Bechsteins tend to be. Anyway, I've had it swapped with a talented student's upright for the past 3 years (lucky him!), wondering how I was going to get a grand back into my space. I've just realized for as long as I'm in Manhattan, I'm going to have to sacrifice it for a much smaller instrument. And it doesn't look like I'll be moving anywhere else anytime soon. It's a bit heartbreaking to give it up, to be honest. But it's NY or bust, as they say.

M
M
Hang onto it. Nobody stays in Manhattan forever.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission