2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,906 guests, and 350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
A
I think the Fantasie is every bit as hard technically as most of his non-sonata long works. Perhaps not as difficult as the schubert and schumann fantasies though i think few college applicants will have those under their belts!

Currently working on: Bach Partita 4, English Suite 2, Toccata d-minor, Chopin-op 10/1, Schubert Impromptus
A
A
(if your name isn't George Li, of course)

Currently working on: Bach Partita 4, English Suite 2, Toccata d-minor, Chopin-op 10/1, Schubert Impromptus
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
So mature!

Bruce was practically begging for it. But then again it likely means nothing considering Bruce and most of PW probably don't know what that meme is. (or memes in general)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It isn't as musically demanding as the polonaise fantasie and I found the barcarolle to be harder technically.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Joel_W
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
So mature!

Bruce was practically begging for it. But then again it likely means nothing considering Bruce and most of PW probably don't know what that meme is. (or memes in general)

I know what a meme is (both in the sense from a few years ago and the more recent Reddit-y sense), and I hate images in PW signatures, yours definitely included! Sorry! (And please do consider changing it because I bet a lot of us find it distracting. smile )

As for the difficulty of op.49, I think that given a few months, I could do it justice. I cannot say that for about 40-50% of the Chopin etudes, by comparison.

-J

Originally Posted by asthecrowflies
i think few college applicants will have those under their belts!

You'd be surprised. wink

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by beet31425

I know what a meme is (both in the sense from a few years ago and the more recent Reddit-y sense), and I hate images in PW signatures, yours definitely included! Sorry! (And please do consider changing it because I bet a lot of us find it distracting. smile )

-J

I "dealt with it". Adblock to the rescue. Someone else used a cartoon in their signature that I blocked. You can alternatively turn signatures off in your user preferences.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by asthecrowflies
I think the Fantasie is every bit as hard technically as most of his non-sonata long works.

Actually harder than most of those other pieces, IMO -- technically as well as musically.

Perhaps not as difficult as the schubert and schumann fantasies....

At least as hard.

Originally Posted by Joel_W
When college websites ask for "a romantic work demonstrating significant technical accomplishment" for part of an audition, would the F minor fantasie work, or are they looking for more difficult pieces?

Let's cut to the chase, okay, folks? Anyone asking this question is begging for compliments.

Right? I mean, really, he's saying, "I'm considering the F minor Fantasie. Do you think it's REALLY and truly hard enough and impressive enough for a college audition??"

Surely this student has a TEACHER who would advise him? Yes? Why not go there first for advice?

He's fishing. Perhaps, even trolling. The F minor Fantasie is big league stuff and we all know it. Any high school kid who could master this could get into any decent program. And any high school kid who has to ASK if it's impressive enough is a poseur.

Last edited by Aldous; 01/03/13 01:11 AM.

Ich grolle nicht.
Originally Posted by Aldous
Let's cut to the chase, okay, folks? Anyone asking this question is begging for compliments.

I don't think so. Who knows, maybe you're right, but it doesn't give me that impression at all.

He's fishing. Perhaps, even trolling. The F minor Fantasie is big league stuff and we all know it.

I guess that means you'd be surprised by the many other posters who've said it's not that hard.

And any high school kid who has to ASK if it's impressive enough is a poseur.

Do you remember how you were in high school? grin

Be that as it may ha ....I first studied this piece when I was in college. After I just started it, I read that the piece was very hard (I still even remember the way it was put: "I know of no more difficult work...."), it surprised me, and I went and asked my teacher if it was really considered that hard.

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Aldous
He's fishing. Perhaps, even trolling.

Neither, actually. Crazy, right?!

S
spk Offline
S
are you kidding me, man?
The Fantasie is licentiate diploma level stuff.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Is part of the “difficulty-level” of Chopin’s Fantasia Opus 49 due to the sight-reading of the big LH “jumps” to the score? (especially from m21-m32)

Originally Posted by btb
Is part of the “difficulty-level” of Chopin’s Fantasia Opus 49 due to the sight-reading of the big LH “jumps” to the score? (especially from m21-m32)

Are you joking? grin

Nothing whatsoever to do with the "sight-reading," nor with the score reading. smile

It's the playing.

And those measures near the beginning are far from the most demanding part of the piece! (Didn't even count measures; I didn't have to. Nothing so early in the piece is anything like that.) Musically they do present challenges, but....that's subtle.

P.S. You know a lot.
Didn't you really know all that? grin

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well, well Mark ... you trash my opinion ... so I’ll put on my crash helmet.

I’ve just played through the first 32 measures on my Grotrian Steinweg and can’t see the difficulty ... but then as you know, I use a graphic system of writing music which has given me the advantage of easy prima vista playing.

In typical Chopin layout the first statement is contained in the opening 4 measures ... by m11-12 Fred grumbles a repeat of m5-6 with LH chords deep down in the bass.

However from m20 we get a jerky divergence of hands ... with the LH moving DOWN and the RH moving UP.

Might I ask (please no rocks) if you can play the first 32 measures of the Fantasia?

Kind regards, btb

Oy. ha

btb, I see that you actually answered it yourself!

Originally Posted by btb
....I’ve just played through the first 32 measures on my Grotrian Steinweg and can’t see the difficulty....

Right!
And play on further, my friend!

BTW, I didn't trash your opinion. What I did was, I doubted that it was your actual opinion.
I do think you know better. Much better. smile

Maybe the whole problem is that I still don't really know how to read your posts.... grin

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
btb -

With all due respect, the real fun doesn't start until later in the piece - jump to 2:40 in this video and you'll "hear" what I mean (follow along with the score).

http://youtu.be/c0WTVy7XhlE

And here's Part 2, starting with the prayer-like middle section.....

http://youtu.be/kEWdl8YJCAg

Cheers !!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks for that carey ...

Thanks chaps ... I’ve dug out the Fantaisie Opus 49 disc ... and carefully listened to the rendition with the 18-page score in hand.
(composed in 1841 when Chopin was 31 years old.)

But, upon coming back to the ranch
(putting my six-shooter on the mantlepiece till I next see Mark) ... why would anybody want to choose this Fantaisie to impress the judges ... when there is a wagon-load of breathtaking Chopin works crying out for a daring airing?

The Fantasy structure is any composer’s excuse to bend the rules ... and frig around with tempo and indulge in inconsequential rubato ... with lashings of scalar and chromatic runs ... boring stuff.

When the chappie gets it right as with the Fantaisie Impromptu Opus 66 ... we all go into adoration mode.

But I suppose the OP chappie is looking for something which is not “run-of-the-mill” (perhaps layered in dust and possibly on the skids for eternal hibernation (remembering that this work is posthumous and only published after the death of Chopin in 1849.)

My guess is that Chopin didn’t want this work to see the light of day ... he had already written his masterpiece ... Fantaisie Impromptu Opus 66.

Well, well ... I feel better now.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by carey

With all due respect, the real fun doesn't start until later in the piece - jump to 2:40 in this video and you'll "hear" what I mean

YT videos always stall out at work, so not sure what is happening @ 2:40, but I always thought the real 'festivities' of the piece commenced at measure 109 with the contrarily moving octaves. Few passages I can immediately think of are so prone to inaccuracies at full tempo.

Some years ago I heard a famous pianist completely bomb out at that point in concert. I felt really badly for him. (Out of respect, the pianist will remain anonymous, but it's a name everyone on this board knows.)

Jason
B
B
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Originally Posted by carey

With all due respect, the real fun doesn't start until later in the piece - jump to 2:40 in this video and you'll "hear" what I mean

YT videos always stall out at work, so not sure what is happening @ 2:40, but I always thought the real 'festivities' of the piece commenced at measure 109 with the contrarily moving octaves. Few passages I can immediately think of are so prone to inaccuracies at full tempo.

Some years ago I heard a famous pianist completely bomb out at that point in concert. I felt really badly for him. (Out of respect, the pianist will remain anonymous, but it's a name everyone on this board knows.)

I watched the great No-Wrong-Notes Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli split a note there once...

But I think you're referring to someone else.

For a wrong-note passage, I think the coda to the March of Schumann's Fantasy in C takes the biscuit. Horowitz's comeback concert was particularly dire - even after he patched up a few notes on his so-called 'live' recording released on LP. I obtained the back-to-basics unadulterated version that Sony (much later) released on CD....

If music be the food of love, play on!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission