2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2007926 01/02/13 12:52 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Hi amigo/gas you may enjoy this in-depth master class on Bruuuuce Hornsby)

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6029404

Dave Frank

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Dave, you're a very talented musician.

I read "monster pianist", I assume a self chosen self description, and I really don't feel like watching anything.

Have you noticed that your posts don't seem to generate a lot of responses?

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Happy New Year Dave!!

J
J
"Content not currently online".

DaveH - DaveF certainly does a lot of self promototion on these forums but he contributes a lot here as well. his instructional vids are top notch. I haven't watched any of the Master Class vids dedicated to a particular artist so can't comment on them.

I don't know what you trying to achieve with veiled insults in a public forum? Maybe PMs would be a better way to communicate your dissatisfaction.

DaveF - I'd love to see a workshop on getting that crunchy sound Elton John was getting circa 1971. There's som brilliant playing on *Tumbleweed Connection*. Especially the last verse of "Amoreena", the soloing in "My Father's Gun", and the intro to "Ballad of a well-known gun". I can't quite replicate that mix of bluesy, gospel-y honky tonk, especially those crunchy breaks in the last verse of Amoreena. Any pointers?

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
There are books that have all his playing on some of his records
transcribed, I believe they are called the Artist Transcription series, I think on Hal Leonard. This is a great way to find what's happening. When I was 12 years old that exact piano thing on Amoreena was my favorite playing, he's using 4-part triads in RH and octaves in LH, breaking up the RH chords in different ways..

DF

J
J
Thank you. Yes they exist but only for his more schmaltzy and lame pieces like Levon or Daniel. I've had a heck of a time finding any decent transcriptions of the stuff he did prior to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. In my opinion he burned up the stage in that era but once he went "glam" his playing got a lot less interesting. Unfortunately the "glam" era gets all the attention.

It's been awhile since I tried to play Amoreena - maybe I'll dig it out again and try the voicings you are suggesting.

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
You can probably slow down the recording with one of those slo-downers thingees and get it exactly)

Last edited by davefrank; 01/05/13 01:42 PM.
R
R
Hal Lenoard has a transcription of Amoreena in this collection of Elton John tunes:

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=691059&

There is also an old book called improvising rock piano by Jeffrey gutcheon that has a very nice chapter on the half time style of elton john that is short but worth checking out.

J
J
I have never seen this book. It looks like exactly what i wa.t. Ordered. Thanks for the pointer!

Elton pulls out all kinds cool and very strong voicings that I wouldn't come up with myself. One of them in Amoreena is playing an F LH against GDG in the RH kit above it followed by E in LH and GCG in the RH. Sounds pedestrian and obvious when I write it down but it is so strong. He does a similar thing in the live rendition of Can I put you on. Back in topic Bruce does some kind of similar stuff too - he's a master of the suspended 4th.

Ive recently been looking at Joplin and he does some of the same things, so I guess Elton didn't invent it smile Thanks again for the pointer.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission