2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
That extensive writing on the key looks interesting. Can you tell us what it says? It's too small to read in your photo.

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Loren D
It most certainly has a cast iron frame. I can't imagine it withstanding any amount of tension without one.

My advice: stop now before you destroy it.

Don't be so sure. It's a "140 years old vertical french piano." Wouldn't surprise me at all if it didn't have an iron frame.

"Antique" importers brought thousands of old pianos into the U.S. during the 1970s and 1980s. Most of these were of English manufacture, but not all. I've also seen a few old German and French pianos over the years.

The main criteria for these pianos was that they have interesting, often quite beautiful, cabinetry. The people bringing them in had no knowledge of, or concern with, the interior works. The structural condition of the pianos did not matter. Nor did the condition of their actions, strings, pinblocks, etc. As long as they looked pretty they could be -- and were -- sold at a profit to gullible Americans.

Many, if not most, of these things were structurally deficient in several ways. Their designs were often, at best, marginal. Their transitional actions, while historically interesting (and sometimes significant) often had rather poor performance potential regardless the amount of time and effort poured into them.

You are quite right about its ability -- or lack thereof -- to withstand much tension. It is unlikely that any overstrung upright piano strung with anything remotely resembling a standard ("modern") stringing scale but lacking at least the rudiments of a metal frame is going to be capable of any long-term stability.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Ah! Now I belatedly see the pictures.

It's not an overstrung scale -- it's flatstrung. That helps a little. It won't have the torsional stresses of the overstrung bass strings. Still, supporting all that string tension is going to be a problem.

You might be able to bring this thing up to what is now standard pitch (A = 440 Hz) but I wouldn't. Unless I was hopeful that it would self-destruct and save me the trouble of taking it apart before turning it into firewood. One reason why it has lasted so long is that it hasn't been tuned for ages.

If you're going to attempt to use this thing as a musical instrument -- and assuming you'd like to do so for more than a few weeks -- you'd be wise to tune it some flat.

At least the action looks workable.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
M
macsoft Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi guys! I just had a motorcycle accident (some dude missed a stop sign..) and i have a broken foot. I will be pausing this restoration until i can move again :S

I'm from Portugal by the way, so a french piano is not very far away from its country.
Action is all working now, and I already sanded all the outside panels and gave them a first coat of paint.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
macsoft,
Sorry to hear about your injury. Wishing you a fast and full recovery. Look forward to reading about the rest of your piano adventure. smile

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
M
macsoft Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks! I was in the middle of painting the piano, so i hope when the pain gets a little tolerable i can finish it before my cast comes off.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by macsoft
Thanks! I was in the middle of painting the piano, so i hope when the pain gets a little tolerable i can finish it before my cast comes off.

Perhaps a little aguardiente could help with the pain. The paint job might not look so good later though...

M
macsoft Offline OP
OP Offline
M
loool aguardente can surely make the pain go away, but so every feeling on your feet and hands smile

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Interesting!
The hammers look shot!! Below is the address of a firm in Paris that will refelt them.
Les Ateliers Desfouges
36 Rue de Panicale-Bat.
Colbert Park d'actives de la Verrier gave
78320 LA VERRIER FRANCE
Tel/Fax 00.33.1.30.49.96.95
I found them on the Internet - sorry but I do not know how to add their site to this post.
You could do what I did to worn hammers:
Take the hammer off the action c/w it's shaft and using some 200 grit sand paper, laid on a flat surface, reshape the eliptical shape of the front of the hammer.
Plainly this makes the hammer smaller but it does improove the sound.
Also you might cut strips of shamy leather (chamois), and keeping glue off the hammer felt, glue one end to the WOOD next to the shaft then pull the leather over the front of the hammer all the way round so as to glue it to the top of hammer on the WOOD.
Doing this after reshaping makes a softer sound and stops wear. I suppose one could use a cloth tape but I found the stretch in the shamy very helpfull .https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/images/icons/default/thumbs_up.gifhelpful.https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/images/icons/default/thumbs_up.gif

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Well that is interesting! I posted a question a couple of hours back asking why on my overstrung upright the base hammers are angled at about half the angle of the base strings.
An answer from DBD (ThankYou DBD) is, that although there is space between the hammers at rest, when a hammer moves forward its left hand side will contact the tip of the adjacent hammer.
Now it is plain from your photographs that all your piano's hammers are angled at the same angle as their corresponding strings, BUT the left hand tops of the felts has been shaved off!
My question is answered - very clearly !

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
How are you going with your Erard paino repairs.
I'd really like to see more of your excellent photographs and hear of your progress??

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
PLEASE do please tell us how you are getting along?
I for one asm absolutly fascinated.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission