2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 11 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
[...]I will ask my teacher this coming Saturday what the judge really said. I will let you know what the judge really said. I do not think it can be inaccurate, it was just a simple message. But let's wait.

While this whole discussion may have some point (?) in the abstract, I think, at this juncture, what was reported to have been said - or wasn't said - in this particular case is not our business to know. It may not even be appropriate for RS to share in such a public forum what someone said that someone said.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
H
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
H
Ok, after all this discussion about who said what to whom, I think it is time to discuss what the OP has asked?

Well, he asked it in a political and polite way, but, in the end the bottom line is a question something like this:

"Amateur pianists who attempt to play difficult pieces above their level of skill are laughed at by professional pianists, do you agree?"

Originally Posted by Hakki
...."Amateur pianists who attempt to play difficult pieces above their level of skill are laughed at by professional pianists, do you agree?"

I don't think that was the thrust of the 1st post. But taking it as you ask it: To tell the truth, sometimes they're laughed at for that by their fellow amateurs, so I don't see why they might not sometimes be laughed at by professionals. I'm sure I've been laughed at, and I've sometimes laughed at myself.

Are any of us often or usually laughed at like that, by anyone? I doubt it. And I think most professionals who have heard people in the amateur competitions have been suitably impressed and have admired what we do. Or what we're trying to do. smile
(And I'd guess you think the same.)

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
[...]I will ask my teacher this coming Saturday what the judge really said. I will let you know what the judge really said. I do not think it can be inaccurate, it was just a simple message. But let's wait.

While this whole discussion may have some point (?) in the abstract, I think, at this juncture, what was reported to have been said - or wasn't said - in this particular case is not our business to know. It may not even be appropriate for RS to share in such a public forum what someone said that someone said.

Regards,

I made sure nobody knows which amateur competition, and whether the judge is a female or male. My question was just a general question without pointing out certain individual. What we know is only that it was an amateur competition.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ok, after all this discussion about who said what to whom, I think it is time to discuss what the OP has asked?

Well, he asked it in a political and polite way, but, in the end the bottom line is a question something like this:

"Amateur pianists who attempt to play difficult pieces above their level of skill are laughed at by professional pianists, do you agree?"

Thanks Hakki, it was basically my question.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

There is a major difference between learning a profession and acting professionally. In the quantitative sense of the word, where "professional" means anyone whose primary source of income is the piano, I would suspect the answer is yes. However, in the qualitative sense of a pianist whose primary source of income is the piano and who acts and behaves in a professional manner, I would suspect the answer is no.

I would think any truly talented pianist who is concerned about their art and medium (and not just their own ego), would probably consider the lackluster performance an indication that that pianist needed a little better guidance, or that they simply were not yet ready to perform that piece (which also indicates the former), but not that the performance was funny or should be laughed at.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
The way I understand this is; a judge at an amateur competition made a comment to a teacher about some performances being laughable. I can certainly understand those who take offense at anyone laughing at an amateur competition, the fact that a judge felt the need to express disdain for some of the performances to a teacher borders on unprofessional to me. However, I'm not taking particular offense because those comments may have presumed some sense of privacy. Then the teacher in an attempt to make a point to a student regurgitates the story. The fact is the whole thing may have been made up for the benefit of said student.

Some might say why not just relate the fact that a moderate difficulty piece well performed will score higher than a difficult piece badly performed (Oh where is that link to the Miss Texas Pageant when you need it?). As a sales professional I know the power of stories, stories make facts real. Stories tend to appeal to our lower selves and also tend get elaborated on over time. In this case the threat of moderate humiliation proved powerful. In my work I only tell first person stories about how what I do has helped others. I don't need to embellish or elaborate on the facts, but I know it happens with others.

My point is I understand why a teacher would tell such a story in order to get a "head strong" student to consider alternatives. I can understand a judge expressing frustration at the quality of performances in a competition to a teacher (especially if that teacher was a close acquaintance), but perhaps having an expectation of privacy. We're getting a story 3rd hand and frankly all of this is much ado about not much (typical for PW). The good news is apparently the story had the desired effect.

If anyone had an agenda in this it was the piano teacher who was apparently seeking to inspire his/her students to score higher by playing less difficult pieces well. Did the ends justify the means? Was this a white lie? There are too many possibilities about what really happened for me to get worked up. Now if somebody said they saw judges laughing at performances at a competition that would be different, but that's not what happened here. Frankly if I was a judge at that aforementioned Miss Texas Pageant I don't know if I could have kept from laughing. We've certainly had laughs about it here.

Last edited by Steve Chandler; 12/27/12 01:19 PM. Reason: add Miss Texas Pageant comments

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
^^^^^^^^^^ Ditto.

H
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
H
Let's forget the laugh part of what the judge has said and concentrate on the other part of what he has said.

It was painful to listen to these amateur pianists

The gestures might vary; raising your eyebrow, looking to the floor/ceiling/right/left, lowering your eyes down, putting your palm to your cheek, curling your lips... you name.

The question is, isn't it painful to listen to someone who is apparently struggling with his/her piece ?

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Let's forget the laugh part of what the judge has said and concentrate on the other part of what he has said.

It was painful to listen to these amateur pianists

The gestures might vary; raising your eyebrow, looking to the floor/ceiling/right/left, lowering your eyes down, putting your palm to your cheek, curling your lips... you name.

The question is, isn't it painful to listen to someone who is apparently struggling with his/her piece ?

First, Steve, great post. smile

I think, for me, I don't think of it so much as painful for me as I feel bad for the pianist. However, I would never let it show. If I were judging, I would absolutely hold a poker face and listen objectively through the entire piece no matter how poorly I thought it was being performed. As a judge, I must be objective. As a listener, I can afford to be more subjective, even though I try not to be.

I don't watch American Idol, X Factor, The Voice, or any of those other shows. Really, I don't have time for them. But when I do catch part of a show, I can't stand the cynical remarks and facial reactions of the judges during the performances. I understand most of it is for "show" and for "ratings". But it drives me nuts.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.

Last edited by Mark_C; 12/28/12 12:18 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler
The way I understand this is; a judge at an amateur competition made a comment to a teacher about some performances being laughable. I can certainly understand those who take offense at anyone laughing at an amateur competition, the fact that a judge felt the need to express disdain for some of the performances to a teacher borders on unprofessional to me. However, I'm not taking particular offense because those comments may have presumed some sense of privacy. Then the teacher in an attempt to make a point to a student regurgitates the story. The fact is the whole thing may have been made up for the benefit of said student.

Some might say why not just relate the fact that a moderate difficulty piece well performed will score higher than a difficult piece badly performed (Oh where is that link to the Miss Texas Pageant when you need it?). As a sales professional I know the power of stories, stories make facts real. Stories tend to appeal to our lower selves and also tend get elaborated on over time. In this case the threat of moderate humiliation proved powerful. In my work I only tell first person stories about how what I do has helped others. I don't need to embellish or elaborate on the facts, but I know it happens with others.

My point is I understand why a teacher would tell such a story in order to get a "head strong" student to consider alternatives. I can understand a judge expressing frustration at the quality of performances in a competition to a teacher (especially if that teacher was a close acquaintance), but perhaps having an expectation of privacy. We're getting a story 3rd hand and frankly all of this is much ado about not much (typical for PW). The good news is apparently the story had the desired effect.

If anyone had an agenda in this it was the piano teacher who was apparently seeking to inspire his/her students to score higher by playing less difficult pieces well. Did the ends justify the means? Was this a white lie? There are too many possibilities about what really happened for me to get worked up. Now if somebody said they saw judges laughing at performances at a competition that would be different, but that's not what happened here. Frankly if I was a judge at that aforementioned Miss Texas Pageant I don't know if I could have kept from laughing. We've certainly had laughs about it here.

Excellent inference.....You were able to reconstruct the thoughts etc.

I hope you realize that much of what he said went against much of what you seemed to be indicating.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
I hope you realize that much of what he said went against much of what you seemed to be indicating.

I think whatever he said is the correct interpretation of what really happened. He did not really say an opinion or something. He just reconstructed what might have happened, and he is accurate.

I think whatever he said is the correct interpretation of what really happened. He did not really say an opinion or something. He just reconstructed what might have happened, and he is accurate.

thumb

I thought you were assuming that what the teacher supposedly said was exactly what the judge said and meant.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

Didn't catch that. laugh wink

Originally Posted by Derulux

Didn't catch that. laugh wink

ha

You didn't miss anything. I deleted the post because it didn't say anything. (Please nobody say........) grin

H
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Derulux
[

I think, for me, I don't think of it so much as painful for me as I feel bad for the pianist. However, I would never let it show. If I were judging, I would absolutely hold a poker face and listen objectively through the entire piece no matter how poorly I thought it was being performed.

Well, it was PAINFUL for the judge to hold a poker face. Though the judge managed to hold a poker face despite the pain.

Now, assuming that it was PAINFUL what would you do?

If you were the JUDGE:
Keep it as a secret till the end of your life?
Reject being a judge second time without giving a reason?
Talk about it with your mentor/teacher?

If you were the TEACHER:
Talk about it with your student?

If you were RONALDSTEINWAY:
Talk about it on PW forum?

Online Content
Well, we know Ronald's choice. The teacher's choice is hearsay, and ... grin

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Well, we know Ronald's choice. The teacher's choice is hearsay, and ... grin

We know what teacher's choice too. He talked to the student.

We also know the judge's choice, talked to the teacher. So everything is clear! eek

It is unending circle!!!

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission