2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,953 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
K
This thought just popped into my head in the L'Isle joyeuse thread recently, where a number of members including myself were giving fingering suggestions. Fingering is a highly personal thing, and generally how one fingers a passage can give some clues about the artistic vision of the player, as well as how their hands and technique works.

What does your own choice of personal fingerings say about how you approach the piano?

Myself, I find that I tend to use my thumb very frequently, especially to voice melodies - I prefer the heavier tone I get using my thumb as opposed to using my index finger in similar situations. My pinkies play the loudest, so I tend to always use 1-5 for playing melodies which are written in octaves to get a brighter sound (as opposed to trying to get a legato sound going). And apparently, my fingering of choice for ascending right hand chromatic thirds is either alternating 1-5, 2-4, or 1-3 and 2-4, which is the result of working on Chopin's 4th Ballade. I'm sure there's more, but I'll think of those later.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Where there are sequences, I look for a fingering that will work for every instance of the pattern, rather than seek the most comfortable fingering for each instance. So I tend to use thumb on black keys often. Also I look throughout the piece for transposed repetitions of a passage, before committing to the fingering most natural to its first appearance.

I work hands together when setting fingering, watching for opportunities to use the same finger on both hands at the same time. Those places where, for instance, LH 3 and RH 3 go together seem to anchor the passage in muscle memory.

All the above applies especially to learning music of Bach.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Too great a use(when it's not necessary and finger legato can be achieved with simpler fingering)of changing fingers on a note(finger substitution). Too great a use of finger legato when the legato for the passage can be achieved with the pedal and sound exactly the same.

Trying to gradually get rid of both these habits.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/01/13 11:36 AM.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I use whatever fingering (I think) is best for the moment. As my familiarity with a work or passage develops, I may change fingering, but it's still to suit what is now best for the moment. I'm not sure, however, that that would be considered idiosyncratic.

Regards

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
The only idiosyncrasy I can think of is my tendency to arrange the fingering so my trills are played with non-adjacent fingers.

Best regards,

Deborah
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I don't know if this is super common or not, but I often play two notes that are right next to each other with the same finger. This is particularly when they are part of a large chord.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I kept trying to think of how best to answer this, because I'm not really sure what "idiosyncratic" might mean in the general sense. I also don't particularly subscribe to (or necessarily know) what "standard" fingerings might be for more difficult passage work, because I'm really only concerned with the fingerings I find most comfortable and I tend to forget the others (which could be a bad habit).

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is my tendency to use 15 for almost every octave, black key or not.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A tiny bit OT but I find it challenging to figure out the most efficient "at tempo fingering" while I am still in the early stages of learning a piece. I hate having to unlearn old/relearn new fingering late in the development of a piece of music. I find it works to discipline myself to never again play it the old way but it still feels like I've wasted valuable time learning it inefficiently. It helps to have a teacher who can offer pointers early in the learning process, but sometimes the best fingering is a very individual thing and we only discover the problem late in the process.

Best regards,

Deborah
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by gooddog
The only idiosyncrasy I can think of is my tendency to arrange the fingering so my trills are played with non-adjacent fingers.

I do the same. It's just easier to shake the wrist.

Generally, I use the thumb as seldom as I possibly can. It could possibly have something to do with how much typing I do, but unless it's essential due to the size of the chord, finger crossings or what have you, I will use any of the other four fingers first.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't know of any that has to do specifically when I am playing. Haven't caught myself doing anything that I find odd. Though I am sure I have them.

One thing I do involves the times I practice....I have issues practicing when the clock is not on some sort of even number, example would be at 2:00 or 2:30. I am not adhd or OCD, not by a long shot.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If a melody or phrase of a melody ends with three descending notes (E, D, C for example) I like to use 432 instead of 321. Not sure why.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
thumb

Me too, I have small hands

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
No true idiosyncrasies I am aware of. I tend to use whole hand positions, i. e. all five fingers working, instead of moving the hand to use the stronger fingers. This is probably a consequence of doing mostly improvisation, where time restriction prohibits devising the optimal solutions essential for playing pieces. This is laziness, not idiosyncrasy, and for me it doesn't matter that much anyway.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Ted
No true idiosyncrasies I am aware of. I tend to use whole hand positions, i. e. all five fingers working, instead of moving the hand to use the stronger fingers. This is probably a consequence of doing mostly improvisation, where time restriction prohibits devising the optimal solutions essential for playing pieces. This is laziness, not idiosyncrasy, and for me it doesn't matter that much anyway.

I'm a bit the same there, Ted. If I can get away with not having to pass the thumb under in the middle of a group of notes, I will. I have a very large stretch which allows me to get away with this to a fair extent. I do it more in my left hand than my right. On the other hand, this means my left hand technique is not as good as it could be.

K
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Ted

I guess this is the most common approach, choosing fingerings which are just based on the facility they allow. But sometimes people make fingering choices for artistic purposes - like Liszt using 2-4 for thirds, or at the end of Rachmaninoff's D minor etude from op.39, where the left hand ascending melody is played only with the thumb. I've never consciously picked a fingering for a purpose like that, though I'm interested if anybody else has done that before?

Working on:
Debussy - Images Book II

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WinsomeAllegretto
I don't know if this is super common or not, but I often play two notes that are right next to each other with the same finger. This is particularly when they are part of a large chord.

I think it is OK. I do that too with really huge chords because I have small hands. Occasionally I have even seen editions where they recommend this "trick" with huge chords.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

B
B
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
Originally Posted by Ted

I guess this is the most common approach, choosing fingerings which are just based on the facility they allow. But sometimes people make fingering choices for artistic purposes - like Liszt using 2-4 for thirds, or at the end of Rachmaninoff's D minor etude from op.39, where the left hand ascending melody is played only with the thumb. I've never consciously picked a fingering for a purpose like that, though I'm interested if anybody else has done that before?

In a few pieces, I've used 'unnatural' fingering in order to better bring out melodies (subsidiary or otherwise) in the middle of textures. Like shifting the whole hand in order to use my left thumb to hit a particular note rather than using a finger (the momentum of the hand movement also helps with this). And for loud chords and octaves in LH, I sometimes try to use my 4th rather than 5th fingers, even on white keys, if I want to bring out the bass note, simply because my 4th finger is stronger - especially if coming down from a height. (Many years ago, I developed a mild inflammation in the 5th finger PIPJ - proximal finger joint - after practising Rachmaninov's Prelude Op.23/5. Luckily, my teacher suggested using my 4th finger on the black keys in ff chords as well as octaves as much as feasible...and I took that step a bit further since).

If music be the food of love, play on!
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
There is one note in Appassionata which I use my fist for

B
B
Originally Posted by debrucey
There is one note in Appassionata which I use my fist for

Which one?

If music be the food of love, play on!
K
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
K
Woahwoahwoah, which one?

Working on:
Debussy - Images Book II

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission