2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,207 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway

It is unending circle!!!

Only if one of us talks to the judge... wink

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando

It is unending circle!!!

Only if one of us talks to the judge... wink

Next time when I meet the judge, I will tease the judge about this (to complete the circle)...hahahahahaha.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Hakki
Originally Posted by Derulux
[

I think, for me, I don't think of it so much as painful for me as I feel bad for the pianist. However, I would never let it show. If I were judging, I would absolutely hold a poker face and listen objectively through the entire piece no matter how poorly I thought it was being performed.

Well, it was PAINFUL for the judge to hold a poker face. Though the judge managed to hold a poker face despite the pain.

Now, assuming that it was PAINFUL what would you do?

If you were the JUDGE:
Keep it as a secret till the end of your life?
Reject being a judge second time without giving a reason?
Talk about it with your mentor/teacher?

If you were the TEACHER:
Talk about it with your student?

If you were RONALDSTEINWAY:
Talk about it on PW forum?

Hmm.. good questions. It's extremely difficult to say, because it would require a significant change in my thinking/character. I can speculate, and say that I would hold it in forever, but I am not 100% sure with the change in thinking/character that such a statement would hold true. I'd like to think I still could, but who knows..

I do like Ronald's suggestion about teasing the judge (in a facetious way). Made me laugh. laugh

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
In the Paris competition the judges don't suffer pain from hearing such competitors. They simply ring a bell and stop the poorly performing competitor.

Other competitions are beginning to employ live video streaming, in a way to make the competitors play more carefully.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
In the Paris competition the judges don't suffer pain from hearing such competitors. They simply ring a bell and stop the poorly performing competitor.

Other competitions are beginning to employ live video streaming, in a way to make the competitors play more carefully.

While I don't agree with it, I suppose if you know they're going to do it ahead of time, then you know what you're getting into. To me, that shifts the competition from a focus on the competitors to a focus on the judges, and it is very amateurish. Makes me wonder if it is supposed to be a renowned piano competition, or an updated version of the Gong Show?

Is that a professional or amateur competition?

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Do they ring a bell only when the performance is poor or also because there is only a certain amount of time to hear each competitor and they want to hear some of the other selections the competitor has prepared? Do they give each competitor the same amount of time or do they actually have some pianists stop before their allotted time is up?

I am only familiar with the IKIF competition at Mannes. I don't know if this would be considered a professional competition but it probably would be since most of the pianists are conservatory students or at least performance majors. In all but the final round, the judges often hear only parts of compositions before they ask the competitor to play something else. They signal their desire for the pianist to stop by tapping a pencil.

Dunno if you meant that seriously grin but....while that's sometimes said and even assumed about "the bell," from what I observed about it (having been there a few times), that's not at all how they use it. In fact, if anything it seems that they tend to allow people who are playing relatively poorly to play their whole thing in that round -- because that's all they're going to play. It has appeared to me that they use it mainly when:

-- the rest of the piece is mostly repetition, or
-- they either know already that they will advance the person or at least that they're seriously considering it, and they want to get an idea of how he/she is with some of the other repertoire -- either to help them determine whether to advance the person, or, if they already know they will, to start helping them 'decide' what the person should play in the finals.

edit: I see that Plover anticipated this:

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Do they ring a bell only when the performance is poor or also because there is only a certain amount of time to hear each competitor and they want to hear some of the other selections the competitor has prepared?....

I don't think that's either the purpose or an effect of the streaming. People were already playing as 'carefully' as they could! But I think the prospect of people playing not-so-well is a reason that more competitions haven't done streaming.

Last edited by Mark_C; 12/29/12 01:19 PM.
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
I have been to Paris amateur competition in 2010. I have witnessed the bell being used either way. They used it to stop poor performances and also to listen to other pieces from a competitor.

I have been to Paris amateur competition in 2010. I have witnessed the bell being used either way. They used it to stop poor performances and also to listen to other pieces from a competitor.

Are you sure the "poor performances" thing was other than when the rest of the piece was mostly repetition?

BTW, off the subj smile but....since we're talking about the amateur competitions, I wanted to say again how much I enjoyed meeting you in Warsaw and how much I appreciate the videos from you and your wife. thumb
They are a great, great gift.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Mark_C

Are you sure the "poor performances" thing was other than when the rest of the piece was mostly repetition?

BTW, off the subj smile but....since we're talking about the amateur competitions, I wanted to say again how much I enjoyed meeting you in Warsaw and how much I appreciate the videos from you and your wife. thumb
They are a great, great gift.

I think one competitor was stopped because of too many memory lapses, and another was stopped because of poor playing. If I remember correctly Daniel Chow (who won 3rd place) was interrupted by the jury to hear more of his pieces.

BTW, you are welcome, it was my pleasure to meet you in person in Warsaw.

Last edited by Hakki; 12/29/12 03:32 PM.
Last week, I had a discussion with a friend of mine who is going to join an amateur piano competition. She wanted to play Chopin Nocturne Op. 48 No.1. By the way, she and I have the same teacher. Originally, our teacher allowed her to play this pieces, however, two weeks later, he said "You should not use this piece for a competition".

This post is so insulting on so many levels, the overall implication being, I suppose, that no "amateur" could possibly penetrate the profundities of Chopin's Opus 48, No. 1. Are you KIDDING me?

Or is this simply a subversive attack on the poster's friend who chose to play this Nocturne but was later betrayed and undermined by her teacher?

I mean what the heck is this post ABOUT? Other than, of course, making all amateur pianists feel they are fools and dupes at the hand of judges and teachers associated with these amateur competitions.

Whose snobbery is on display here? The "friend" of the humiliated amateur pianist who actually thinks judges with superior sensibilities are being put upon by inferior amateur performances? Or the ridiculous teacher who arbitrates repertoire as a "god" would?

Really. This is extraordinarily stupid. And cruel.

Ich grolle nicht.
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I love Chopin Op48 No1. One of the pieces that's still in my current "repertoire" (if I would even call it that). I think there could be a number of interpretations why this piece "should not" be played at a competition. Probably the least offending is that it is overplayed, and expected to be played to exact perfection. That is a tall order, and darn near impossible to surmount. So, if I were a teacher, I might coach the student that a different piece might be more appropriate, and give the student a better chance of "winning".

That said, there may be a better way to say it than was indicated, but I think there is at least room for interpretation there. smile

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I haven't read every post in this thread but to some extent I blame the teacher for not defending the competitors.

"Have you always had poor self-control?",would have been a good start and given the judge a bit of reason to pause for thought.

Of course we don't know all the details or the conversation verbatim, but for the teacher to capitulate just like that is pretty poor, if that is what did happen. (I wish to make it clear I would not leave the teacher for this, but I would have asked if he/she did defend competitors, it might make the teacher think a bit too)

Too often people in power abuse their position and are so arrogant and insensitive they can't even see they are doing it.

I would possibly insist that I play the Chopin as I derive pleasure from seeing other people enjoy themselves.

In life I think it is REALLY IMPORTANT to confront any situation where somebody else is trying to control me through fear, no matter who they are, I won't have it, end of story.

We are often subliminally bullied or controlled in the interests of other organisations and we don't even know it is happening.

If you are living your life and you are not harming others it is not the business of anybody else whatsoever, in this situation you are paying a person to advise you but that doesn't mean you have to listen to them....

But I understand that we all do different things different ways.

Damn the judge and play the Chopin, let him laugh all he wants, that's my attitude.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by slipperykeys
Damn the judge and play the Chopin, let him laugh all he wants, that's my attitude.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
I haven't read every post in this thread but to some extent I blame the teacher for not defending the competitors.

"Have you always had poor self-control?",would have been a good start and given the judge a bit of reason to pause for thought.

What do you mean - "poor self-control"? They did have self-control - they didn't actually laugh.

But the judge didn't laugh so apparently he had self control.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
True, the judge had self-control to refrain from laughing, but apparently not enough to resist commenting about wanting to laugh.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

I haven't even watched it, what has figure skating got to do with it?

Who says its the "WORST" crash anyway?

Who cares?

Do you laugh at others misfortune?

What goes round comes round.

I'll say it again, Damn the judge and play the Chopin!

DO NOT LIVE IN FEAR.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
But the judge didn't laugh so apparently he had self control.

I didn't say he didn't have self-control, I simply said it was poor.
I note he also takes it upon himself to speak for all his collegues too, very dangerous ground.

From OP

"This particular judge said "It was painful to listen to these amatuer pianists, WE often needed to control ourselves so that we would not laugh during the performances". By the way, this particular judge took lesson from my teacher. "

"Painful",.....

To my mind this judge is simply not fit for purpose and should give up, I notice he/she took lessons from the teacher he/she was speaking to, that is outrageous!

Something wrong there, there is more to this than meets the eye, the teacher should have challenged the statement and it would bother me that it appears he didn't.

Any challenge, would have given the so-called judge reason to think.

As it is he/she appears to have got away with it.

A shame. I am not surprised the student was a mite upset, so she should be.

Perhaps she could meet this judge and put them straight although wait until after the judging.....

At least if she ever becomes a judge she has the perfect example of how not to behave, as we have too, now.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H

I haven't even watched it, what has figure skating got to do with it?

Just watch it considering the following sentence:

"The coach/teacher, who has foreseen the crash, had warned the ice-skater/student not to perform the high jump/the Chopin Nocturne"

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission