2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This is the result of an agreement between Pearl River and Steingraeber. Master88er has detailed it before in this forum. It does not mean that Steingraeber pianos are full of Chiense parts. From Steingraeber's end it's about easing entry to the Chinese market for its high-end pianos. From Pearl's end, it's about piano-making expertise. No doubt the patina of a prestige Euro connection doesn't hurt either.

This is 2 years old news and was explained to me in detail by Udo Steingraeber when I was in factory last.

While the world was disbelieving me then with our favorite heroes here laughing,Udo also was.

All the way to the bank...

Norbert

L
LFL Offline
L
When I saw Master's initial post, I thought "they are following the Shigeru Kawai production model". I may or may not be correct in that thought assessment. Since I am expecting delivery of a new SK5 this week (hopefully....weather has been a problem and see this thread: https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...s.%20restored%201901%20.html#Post1995674
this current thread piqued my interest.
I could be upset that another company is following the Shigeru model; or, I could accept that it is a compliment to Shigeru--an attestation that Shigeru IS a success and should be emulated.
Ultimately, it comes down to sound/action/playability first, cosmetics second, and price third (IMHO)-- and how well the KA's meet these criteria.

Shigeru Kawai SK5L
Count me in Russel! I'll be there.

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by LFL
When I saw Master's initial post, I thought "they are following the Shigeru Kawai production model". I may or may not be correct in that thought assessment.

LFL:

Actually, you are not entirely correct or incorrect whome

Much like Kawai, with the GS series followed by the AS series then Shigeiru ( I actually wrote the catalogue for the AS series pianos), who followed Yamaha's example (C series followed by S series followed by CF series), Pearl River decided to start the Kayserburg line once their production line instruments had garnered substantial market penetration world-wide (contrary to a post in this thread that states otherwise - I'll get to him later). A major difference is that Pearl/Kayserburg decided to concentrate first on upright pianos rather than grands. In my opinion, this is a pretty wise move. After all, how many superlative concert grands can the market absorb? But, the market for upright pianos superlative to production line instruments, but not priced in the stratosphere, are few and far between. So I think the Niche for the instruments will be a bridge between those consumers wanting something more than a YUS Yamaha or K8 Kawai, but can't quite commit to purchasing a Sauter, Grotrian or Bechstein. One reason we were the sort of "test market" in San Francisco is that the small dwellings coupled with an arts-oriented and educated consumer are the perfect demographic for these instruments.

Now to the other posts:

Originally Posted by Norbert

Would love comparing my own musical notes with these pianos against that of others.

Norbert

Dear Norbert: These pianos (KA,KR, KD series) have not been seen/heard by anyone on this continent so your challenge will largely go unmet - as you may well know. The normal Kayserburg series (UH uprights and GH grands), which you have heard, are wonderful instruments but not part of the Artist Series. One major distinction is that the KA/KR/KD series does have a solid European spruce soundboard, unlike the UH/GH series that we test-marketed and is sold domestically in China and in Australia. These are also completely different Thomma designs, with a different pressure bar, scale design, rib design, action design and..well, the whole thing's different!

Let's face it, all the arguing one can do in favor of a well designed/engineered all spruce (aka laminated) board won't convince little Johnny's piano teacher to recommend anything but a solid spruce board. Personally, having marketed these instruments locally, we are finding them extremely stable and holding tuning in the changing climate far superior to the less expensive solid boards. Oh well! Marketing wins out again and the Artist series have solid boards.

Originally Posted by Kurtmen

An example of the value of branding is that Steinway, Kawai and Yamaha have been for a while already making pianos in China or Indonesia and their names are strong enough where consumers continue buying their products regardless.

Kurtmen: Turandot has already pointed out many of the ludicrous and acrimonious assertions in your post. However, he failed to point out your obvious lack of awareness of how Kawai and Yamaha got started and, arguably, destroyed the American piano industry.

You state:
In my opinion companies as big as Pearl River should have done what the Japanese did back in the sixties, take the beating and practically built a piano only with one name while developing the product to the point that the quality made it an inevitable good value.

One name? Do the names Howard, Marco Polo, Diapason, Shulze and Sons, Scheidmeyer, or Grinell Bros. ring a Kawai bell for you? Or perhaps Story & Clark, Everett, Marshall Field and others in the case of Yamaha? It took Kawai and Yamaha well into their 30th year in the USA to establish a singular brand recognition that rivals others in the industry. The Chinese, IMHO, are doing so in half that amount of time.

...it would not be a surprise to see a Chinese Piano maker go out of business or shift manufacturing to a different part of the world.

You mean like shifting from Japan to Mexico, Korea, the USA, Indonesia, Macao, Taiwan and finally China like Yamaha and Kawai have done in the past, and continue to do?!

Originally Posted by Michael Taylor
Count me in Russel! I'll be there.

SO, here is a man who put his MONEY down on a Kayserburg. Michael, thanks for being a guinea pig of sorts grin. While your UH 121 Kayserburg is a wonderful piano when compared to other 48" pianos, the Artist series is vastly different and we'll be happy to see you at the event to make the comparison in person.

Which brings me back to the initial post - it is an invitation to meet the Production manager of Pearl River (sorry Kurtmen, but he is Swiss) and was the production director for Bechstein in the late 80's to early 90's. In case you missed it in all this carnival barkery, here it is again:

[img:center] [Linked Image][/img]

Russell I. Kassman
Technician -Consultant

FORMER/Semi-Retired: USA Rep.for C.Bechstein & Sauter; Founder/R. KASSMAN Piano; Consultant - GUANGZHOU Pearl River Piano Co.

www.RussellKassman.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Maser88er,
You over analyzed my post. My only point was that there is very little consumer confidence in the market for Chinese pianos and the marketing strategies are very similar among companies. I simply think it is time to try something new.

I'm sorry if it bothers you, I was just making an observation about the market from a dealer stand point. Take for example the used market; you can get more money for a 40 years old Yamaha than trying to sell a 1 year old used Kayserbeger or even a Chinese piano with more history.

This is what the market is like, I just pointed out. Anyways good luck in your enterprise I admire your determination.

Last edited by Kurtmen; 12/30/12 09:01 PM.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
that there is very little consumer confidence in the market for Chinese pianos...

Not in China, world's by far largest market for which these pianos have been basically planned.

Maybe 5-10% of these new super-pianos may indeed trickle over to this continent should the Chinese have enough "confidence" selling pianos in this depressed market is worth their while.

Interesting times - better stay tuned....

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 01/27/13 06:02 PM.

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

You over analyzed my post. My only point was that there is very little consumer confidence in the market for Chinese pianos and the marketing strategies are very similar among companies.

LOL, your wishing this was true doesn't make it so. In spite of the best efforts of Japanese companies, who quietly build products and components in China and Indonesia, while publicly disparaging the same, the major Chinese companies are doing quite well.

Originally Posted by kurtmen

I'm sorry if it bothers you, I was just making an observation about the market from a dealer stand point. Take for example the used market; you can get more money for a 40 years old Yamaha than trying to sell a 1 year old used Kayserbeger or even a Chinese piano with more history.

Your "observation" , as disingenuous as it is, is not based on reality. Have you sold a 1 year old Kayserburg , or even seen one? Maybe you are confused, or San Jose is different, but up here in civilization, we are selling used Japanese Kawai pianos for more than their new counterparts. I have yet to see a used haliun, ritmuller or Brodmann. And I am sure you would shout it from a rooftop if you had one.

Originally Posted by kurtmen

This is what the market is like, I just pointed out. Anyways good luck in your enterprise I admire your determination.

Thank you for the comic relief. While I wish Kayserburg was my enterprise, I am simply the exclusive Bay Area dealer for the product and a marketing consultant to Pearl River.

Russell I. Kassman
Technician -Consultant

FORMER/Semi-Retired: USA Rep.for C.Bechstein & Sauter; Founder/R. KASSMAN Piano; Consultant - GUANGZHOU Pearl River Piano Co.

www.RussellKassman.com
G
G
Russel, how will these uprights be priced compared to competitors products?

piano tech - tuner - dealer
Münster, Germany
www.weldert.de

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Gregor
Russel, how will these uprights be priced compared to competitors products?

You beat me to it - I was just about to ask the same question......

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

Last edited by turandot; 12/31/12 09:58 PM. Reason: useless

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
J
J
Originally Posted by turandot

Fifty miles is no big deal in CA. I recommend the Eastbay route (not East Beirut! grin)

http://www.rkassman.com/maps.html

Save time for lunch at Picante - a nice little place just around the corner for Russell's shop!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The problem is that it's a broad observation from a dealer down the road in a hotly competitive market. It was clearly inspired by his posting an invitation to a store event. It just looks bad.

I think we all post in this forum at the risk of having somebody reply with a statement we disagree with or even at the risk of people dislike you in the real world, if you are not anonymous.
Your posts are keen and show great grasp of the nuances or fine layers of the piano business.

In good spirit I'll tell you; the judgmental and self righteous position don't equate with an individual of your intellect. wink

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
The problem is that it's a broad observation from a dealer down the road in a hotly competitive market. It was clearly inspired by his posting an invitation to a store event. It just looks bad.

I think we all post in this forum at the risk of having somebody reply with a statement we disagree with or even at the risk of people dislike you in the real world, if you are not anonymous.
Your posts are keen and show great grasp of the nuances or fine layers of the piano business.

In good spirit I'll tell you; the judgmental and self righteous position don't equate with an individual of your intellect. wink

[Linked Image]

Russell I. Kassman
Technician -Consultant

www.RussellKassman.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
How many "Artists" will switch to a vertical piano?

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]

I completely agree!

[Linked Image]

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

Last edited by turandot; 12/31/12 09:41 PM. Reason: useless

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by turandot
Kurtmen,

I had no intention of being judgmental or self-righteous. I was simply trying to point out something -- something that is not intellectual or nuanced and does not have many layers. grin Your entry here just looks bad. That's all.

I think it's also fair to assume that half of the 2000 hits Master has gotten on this thread are from recreational users who sense the potential for blood-letting. Still. hits are hits and In that sense you've boosted your competitor's visibility.

It seems that rather than helping things, I'm just becoming part of the circus. so bye for now.

Grab the popcorn and soda.

I'm new here, but I do have an actual question for the thread (or for Master): are their grand pianos going to be at or part of the event? The website lists several models of grands. Somewhere along the way it became unclear to me if the grands were at the event or not.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Moderators

May I respectfully suggest that we put this one out of its misery?

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
Online Content
It's quite disappointing that a thread about a introduction of a new piano, and especially one that is apparently of high quality, has caused so many negative comments, self promotions, and dealers trashing dealers. Why not just be happy that a new piano will be available instead of making endless predictions and judgements?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/01/13 05:48 AM.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
How Interesting! - Turandot is scrambling to remove his posts before this thread gets locked for all time and eternity.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission