2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 13 invisible), 1,862 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
Even though I just started playing in November, I learned to play 4 Christmas songs(Level: Easy - Faber's Christmas For All Times Book 1). The book has music in three levels. I'm still taking lessons. How often should I practice Christmas music during the upcoming year? I was thinking to continue thru the book as I progress thru my lessons. Any suggestions?

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-150
Started Playing: November 2012
Completed Unit 6, Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I suspect that most of us don't practice Christmas music during the year.

There are a lot of posts from those of us who pull out the Christmas books in November and are thrilled to see how much better we can do than the year before! I find it a cheery sort of benchmark system (especially as I started playing on Christmas day 2009!)

However, if you are keen - why not just ask your teacher to select pieces that fit with the techniques you're learning in your lessons and work through them that way?

Have fun!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think I played Christmas music all year during my first year of piano. That's because the Bastien Christmas Favorites Primer was the only supplementary book that I had at the time, and because I love Christmas music. But now, I find that if I start earlier than November, I get tired of it before we reach Christmas.

I too like to see how much better I can do than the year before. I now have several Christmas books to choose from in about levels 1, 2 & 3, so I can revisit old favorites and learn a new piece or two each year.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
It is tradition for me to start practicing Christmas music on Halloween (I rather like the juxtaposition).
I stop on Dec 25th, which works out great because I'm sick of it by then!

smile

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I play Christmas music all through the year because I really like it (and Christmas!) In fact, for Christmas this year, I ordered 24 new Christmas movies and gave my wife a new one each day, starting on December 1, always starting with "On the First Day of Christmas, my True Love Gave To Me...". (We already had about 30 Christmas movies so this will be the only year I can do this for a while. I will have to wait for the Hallmark channel to catch up to the demand...

We have a Christmas in July video fest, watching all the movies again.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
I usually only Start them in November or so and play right through January. But I really like your idea. My level 5 Faber Christmas book gave me trouble this year with it's bigger chord arrangements and i had to work hard to get through one piece. Learning one every two months or so would be fun. I may have to try it. I like Christmas music. My husband may give me grief though because sometimes he hums Christmas songs in the summer and I give him grief! Haha

I see nothing wrong with your idea. Once you learn them you can play them a few times a week to keep them polished up until next Christmas.

This year because the level 5 book was such a challenge I played many more from the level 3 book and focused on playing them more musically, etc. But it would be nice to have more at the higher level. I think all in all I now must have 8 I feel fairly comfortable with from the Faber levels 3-5. And many more at level 3 I can sight read but are not polished. I would love to add more level 4 and 5 pieces.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I too have given up practicing it, I just play it if I can, improvise with it if I can't and enjoy it for a month or so.

But I'm a great believer that if a piece of music inspires you to practice it, go for it - we'll do better with pieces that are within our capabilities and that we enjoy, than others that might not fit so well.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Indeed.......practicing Christmas music.......second week of december.... Mostly just to polish the most popular songs and carols......

The rest of the year I need my time for 'real' music.......sorry...oeps....did I say this?....No, it was only a thought.....( a bit loud)

Greetz,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Usually don't practice them at all. I can sight read the carols in the hymnal. Learned them as a kid. Recently got a copy of a charming set of variations on God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman by George Wesley that I intend to learn before next Chrismas though and Liszt's setting of Shepherds at the Manger.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
For 20 years I would only disturb the dust on the piano to try to play by ear an Christmas song. A disaster as always, and I would quietly tip toe away from the piano for another year. This year T got the Farber and Farber Christmas books 1 and 2, easy and intermediate. It should come to no surpise that I cracked the books but didn't learn a single carol. I found a book and bought it. It had lots of Christmas tunes including "Santa Baby of eartha kitt fame but it was toooo difficult to learn in less then 90 days - way past Christmas. Maybe next year.

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
I'll likely practice for at least a serious month or two a few special arrangements next year, but I'd argue time may be better spent improving overall musicianship through other repertoire and exercises so that at least "easy" arrangements and hymnals can eventually be sight-read and/or improvised over as -Frycek is capable of, for example, but that doesn't necessarily mean that with quality arrangements and relevant exercises, the two can't be one and the same.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Michael 99--glad to hear you're keeping the dust down now.

Frycek--how cool to be able to just sit down and play them. I'm hoping that my sight reading gets good enough to play any of them. It really stops the singing to say "wait a minute while I play through this a couple of times"

Every year I pick up a new Christmas solo piece to learn and start in mid November. This year it was an American folk piece called either Brightest and Best or Star of the East. I had to leave out one section with moving chords but was pleased to have learned it quickly. I run through some of the sing a longs but don't have much of an audience for them. This year I accompanied my husband who sang "Mary did you know" for our Christmas piano party. Like many of you I love Christmas music and you'd think they'd be memorized by this time but, alas, no.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
A
A
I started practising less than two weeks before Christmas and kind of botched my playing at the family's Christmas eve celebration. Going to start earlier next year!

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission