2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Dave, it took me a while to figure out some proper EQ for getting more out of the Fazioli (whatever version). Without that, it can sound rather subdued compared with the Bosie (which I EQ as well).

Vox: Yup. A proper action is my main wish for the Nord Piano. Had hopes for the NP2, but had to postpone them to the NP3... I'd happily accept a few more kilograms.

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Just been playing the new Fazioli.

Steve -

Which version do you have loaded?

Lawrence

XL. It's a nice piano in my opinion.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It took me a little while to warm up to the Fazioli, but I loaded in the XL and I really like it. The tone can be similar to the Bright Grand but with more depth and warmth. Maurus what EQ settings are you using on the Fazioli?

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by PianoZac
Maurus what EQ settings are you using on the Fazioli?

Will depend on the output chain a lot! With my AKG 240MkII i found very slight bass and treble boost (1-2 dB), and a mid boost of about 3-5 dB at 1.5-2.5 kHz very helpful to get a little more presence. As the sampling has ambience, one also should keep reverb rather dry IMO.

Edit: After further playing around I made an interesting observation (perhaps totally idiosyncratic) - I prefer the Med size to the Lrg size - it takes away some of the ambience and makes the bass and treble a little cleaner *when using the sustain pedal*. So now my Electro has the Bosie Lrg, the Faz Med (rather than the other way round), and two Rhodes sounds (MkI and MkIV) loaded - a workable combination for me for the time being...

Last edited by maurus; 12/22/12 01:13 PM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Dave that sounds great! Did you ad any EQ? or is that the pristine sample? Anyway, very nice playing and a great sound!

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I just played with the Fazioli for awhile this afternoon and my earlier impression of this has changed. This is VERY Playable. I think this is the best sample actually.

The biggest change (from others) is that the dynamics is feeling normal now. It's not ultra sensitive like the others. So I can be more confident about hitting with gusto. The balance between lower and higher registers is excellent. I'm finding it really good as far as my LH voicings vs. RH solo lines. I switched between this and my acoustic and it wasn't as big a jump as before.

There's no quirky upper registers here. Just a smooth balance of volume.

Very nice! I'm not entirely fond of the Fazioli sound in real life but given that this is a DP, the cleanliness of the Fazioli sound actually keeps it from getting muddy on a DP.

I'm using the Large sample and I'm setting this as my default #1 patch.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Here's a recording of the Large Fazioli sample.

Clare Fischer's classic "Pensativa"
http://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris/pensativa-clare-fischer/s-sg4pI

That's fantastic Dave! The stereo is the wrong way round by the way - but it's still fantastic!

I think this new Faz is the best Nord sample yet - or it's certainly the least idiosyncratic. There's nothing that has the potential to annoy. I really wanted to like the Bosendorfer but it's so nasal in the mids/upper mids - a real turn-off for me.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Have you all found the large Faz sample to be better balanced than the XL? It takes too long to download the XL sample to really get a subjective opinion for my ears. What about your ears?

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I've just taken off the XL and replaced it with the Large so I can get another couple of pianos into my Nord Piano. I can't really hear much difference. I certainly don't feel like it is significantly inferior (if at all). I suppose the best way would be to clear off some pianos and load both L and XL into it and swap between them.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I went back and forth between the XL and L Fazioli for a while (for the first time I could check an XL on my Electro 3HP). The main difference seems to be that the XL is a fully mapped, not a stretched sample. You can hear the difference when doing chromatic scales. In the L and M sizes there are recognizable jumps between some stretch groups.

If you don't listen for it, and in actual playing, I doubt you would notice it a lot. I'm actually fine with the M version myself (see earlier post).

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Notice that the entire Fazioli sample is not as loud as the other ones. Really noticeable when you change samples. You'd have to adjust the volume.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've been spending lots of time with the Fazioli sample and it is definitely hands down the best Nord has come out with. It's much more even, warm, yet can be bright, and is versatile. Very happy with it.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I was able to use the new Nord Fazioli XL sample last night in a jazz trio context with the Nord Piano 2 and it was excellent. Nord's best sample to date without question.

Yes, I've been using it a lot. I think the new Faz is so good because it manages to have no vices whilst also not being bland or boring - quite an achievement.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Seemed like I played better...maybe it was psychological,...

LOL -- I have to admit I felt this too. I felt satisfied with the sound coming out. And somehow it translated as well to my being more tolerant of the action.

The over-sensitivity of the velocity response curve in other samples played tricks with my brain.

The only problem is that on my particular monitors (I don't have my PA plugged in), the volume is way down now. I'm too lazy to unpack my mixers/PA to pre-amp the signal. But it shows the shift in thinking at Clavia with respect to velocity curves.

Haven't tested it live yet though. My next few gigs are with a real Grand.

My Jazz Blog

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Great recording Dave. I'm always impressed with how natural the Nord records, versus so many other digitals. I'm in agreement with you and Steve, the Fazioli is the best sample to date by Nord. It finally supplanted the Studio Grand 2 C7 as my favorite. I find it interesting that the Large sample of the Faz is nearly 100MB, noticeably larger than the other Large samples, yet the XL size is the smallest yet, and interestingly still, the Faz is the most even sample.
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Haven't tested it live yet though. My next few gigs are with a real Grand.

Yeah last night would have been a good test to see if I felt a disconnect with it. On Thursday I did a 3.5 hour solo gig on a Faziloi 212 in a private residence.

Incredible piano ! What do I have to do to get one ? cool (no, not selling the D)

So I was definitely ready for "I hate all digital pianos " mode.. grin Surprisingly enough, that wasn't the case last night.

No I don't think your nuts. I really believe when you're confident in your sound, it reflects directly in your playing. By the way Dave, how did the Fazioli sample sound vs the real deal F212?? smile

Last edited by PianoZac; 12/30/12 08:56 AM.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
No room at the inn for this on my stage 2 I'd have to delete some rather nice stuff .... Worth it ?

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission