2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 189 of 341 1 2 187 188 189 190 191 340 341
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
swing and melody will never go out of style, viva le hi hat du 2 4!

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KlinkKlonk

Never deviating? Not even once in a while?

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
only on major #5 chords

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
So you don't play quartal harmony ala McCoy on minor chords?

Would you consider the subs KJ was doing (and discussed above as violating your ii-V-I rule)?

At least in this group, it seems Beeboss has the no-holds-barred approach to reharmonizing.

My Jazz Blog

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
JW I'm just messing.

I was thinking...Consider all the praise Keith is getting while Brad get's put down for playing with a mandolin guy. What I would give to see Keith reach out of his comfort zone. Consider all the players he could recorded with as sideman like on Gnu High. How would Keith sound with Roy Hayes? Lee Konitz, Ornette Coleman. And all the players that have died since the 80's..

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

I was thinking...Consider all the praise Keith is getting while Brad get's put down for playing with a mandolin guy. What I would give to see Keith reach out of his comfort zone. Consider all the players he could recorded with as sideman like on Gnu High. How would Keith sound with Roy Hayes? Lee Konitz, Ornette Coleman. And all the players that have died since the 80's..

I wasn't meaning to put Brad down, only that I found his concert rather dull. Nothing wrong with mandolin. I saw U Srinivas play once and it was unbelievably amazing.

Last edited by beeboss; 11/13/11 08:19 PM. Reason: changed mind on content
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm all for swing and melody but I can do without the HH on 2 and 4.
smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
So Chris, just curious. Why did that video evoke a reaction of "free jazz"? I saw nothing free in it at all. He subbed the harmony and it gave him some room to manuever. Even playing in 9/4 on a 3/4 tune isn't even that far out a concept. Being a modal tune, I thought there would be a lot of assumed freedom anyway. I'm just interested in everyone's thought process.
I went of on an associative tangent; more on a philosophical level then what is actually happening.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For those whom want to read what KJ himself thinks, here's the transcript from the BBC interview that he did when he was 64.
http://dothemath.typepad.com/dtm/interview-with-keith-jarrett.html

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chrisbell
For those whom want to read what KJ himself thinks, here's the transcript from the BBC interview that he did when he was 64.
http://dothemath.typepad.com/dtm/interview-with-keith-jarrett.html

This is just wonderful Chris. Thanks for posting it. Although I've watched this interview before, I'm understanding it differently this time. I think I knew to little about KJ when I first saw it so some things didn't click yet. Now after seeing a live concert, a lot of what is being said has a different meaning.

I especially enjoyed the discussions about 'touch' and the comparison with Bill Evans since Peacock can compare the two directly. Interesting comment from KJ that Evans did not have the 'touch', he had the 'sound'. Makes sense. KJ's touch is know for the single note line. Bill was known for the two handed dense sound.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Another youtube vid from me.

"Everything happens to me"

http://youtu.be/WRfK7m0GkEM

R
R
anyone got some good gigs coming up? I got one at a ski resort. no pay but full ski pass, rentals etc so not too bad.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss

Nice playing as always, Beeboss. Also nice of you to pay tribute to your teacher as well.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Redux
anyone got some good gigs coming up? I got one at a ski resort. no pay but full ski pass, rentals etc so not too bad.

I've got a string of Jams, and rehearsals but no gig till early December. Been busy booking gigs in 2012 though...

In the meantime, using quiet time to work on stuff.

My Jazz Blog

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
I just wanted to step in here and thank you, jazzwee. Just for being you. Much that you have said has motivated me to get going with my music. Even starting with the same keyboard you did. So much of what you say, suggests to people to: "Just Do It." Get going on it.
I've come to my music like a backsliding heiffer. Yet, I enjoy it so much. Tried putting off spending money. For way too long. Ran up some debt. Oh well. That's the way it always seems to work for me.
BTW: I ran across "Night Train"... Like it. Will always love the creative mind of jazz.
Thanks again...

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Yeah! I've always really liked that tune. Cool idea to play the head solo and then switch to a "duo". It's nice that you also play bass... that would be fun. I'm curious as to roughly how many transcriptions of KJ you have done over the years? I hear so many similarities to Keith in your lines which is really cool. I've always felt the most personal connection with Keith's style over any other pianist and I'd really like to transcribe more of his playing so I could express that kind of sound myself. Just so time consuming though.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rnaple
I just wanted to step in here and thank you, jazzwee. Just for being you. Much that you have said has motivated me to get going with my music. Even starting with the same keyboard you did. So much of what you say, suggests to people to: "Just Do It." Get going on it.
I've come to my music like a backsliding heiffer. Yet, I enjoy it so much. Tried putting off spending money. For way too long. Ran up some debt. Oh well. That's the way it always seems to work for me.
BTW: I ran across "Night Train"... Like it. Will always love the creative mind of jazz.
Thanks again...

Why thank you rnaple for such nice comments.

If you try following what I did you will truly run up some debts...

If you really followed what I did, let's see, aside from the string of DP's (Some Yamaha PSR, CDP100, S90, S90ES, P155, XS6, FP7F), on the acoustic side there's the Yamaha U3, Steinway O. Geez, rnaple, I feel like a really bad influence. You'd really go broke frown

I hope the big lesson learned is that we can start at any age and get some great enjoyment from this music.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Scott Coletta

Yeah! I've always really liked that tune. Cool idea to play the head solo and then switch to a "duo". It's nice that you also play bass... that would be fun. I'm curious as to roughly how many transcriptions of KJ you have done over the years? I hear so many similarities to Keith in your lines which is really cool. I've always felt the most personal connection with Keith's style over any other pianist and I'd really like to transcribe more of his playing so I could express that kind of sound myself. Just so time consuming though.

I guess I have transcribed at least 20 Jarrett solos (along with plenty from other players), but I don't do it anymore as I realised the ultimate futility of that approach. I still do occasional transcription nowadays but not really whole solos, just a few chords/lines/ideas here and there. Although having said that I have been doing a Tristano transcription in the last week, more for amusement and as an aural exercise than to work out his licks.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> I guess I have transcribed at least 20 Jarrett solos (along with plenty from other players), but I don't do it anymore as I realised the ultimate futility of that approach. I still do occasional transcription nowadays but not really whole solos, just a few chords/lines/ideas here and there. Although having said that I have been doing a Tristano transcription in the last week, more for amusement and as an aural exercise than to work out his licks.

Funny you should say that. After watching the Pilc vid JW posted a few days ago, I'm taking a different approach also. I'm transcribing some Navarro right now (out of nowhere changes). I'm going to do less than the 1.5 chorus he takes but do it in random keys. It's quite fun really. Plus his solo is absolutely stellar.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by knotty

Funny you should say that. After watching the Pilc vid JW posted a few days ago, I'm taking a different approach also. I'm transcribing some Navarro right now (out of nowhere changes). I'm going to do less than the 1.5 chorus he takes but do it in random keys. It's quite fun really. Plus his solo is absolutely stellar.

re Pilc, I was just listening to his version of Anthropolgy that he plays with Ari Hoenig. Outrageous playing.

Page 189 of 341 1 2 187 188 189 190 191 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission