2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,823 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
ten left thumbs, I don't recall Peter mentioning 3, but the idea behind 1.25 is this: if the 8 level ABRSM system and the 10 level RCM system start and end at the same level of difficulty, then mathematically you can convert one set of levels to the other by multiplying the ABRSM level by 1.25. For example, 8x1.25 = 10, so ABRSM 8 would correspond to RCM level 10. 4x1.25 = 5, so ABRSM level 4 would correspond to RCM level 5.

The "if" is important: do we know that ABRSM and RCM start and end at the same level? Another poster mentioned that she thinks they start at different places, so she thinks ABRSM 1 is the same as RCM 3, and that after that the levels proceed at the same pace: A1=R3, A2=R4, and so on up to A8=R10.

I see an interesting challenge: to examine the pieces assigned at various levels in all these systems and come up with a correlation. It won't be perfect, because some systems might rank the relative difficulty of some pieces differently.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Okay, back to the OP...

I think all this "levels" talk is pointless, except for the idea that "level 10" (or whatever is the highest level in each system) is supposed to lead into an entry point auditioning for college/university/conservatory piano major.

But if you look around, every college has its own set of criteria. I know most colleges will require a J.S. Bach Prelude and Fugue (or the equivalent), a classical sonata movement of Mozart/Haydn/Beethoven, plus a large Romantic work (e.g., Chopin Etude or Rachmaninoff Prelude). Some colleges also want a standard 20th-century work (e.g., Prokofiev Sonata).

And when you get to repertoire of this caliber, you can get 10 different experts in the same room and they'll argue until their faces are blue which work is "harder" than another. Where do you draw the line between a BM work and a MM work or a DMA work? Is Chopin Ballade No. 2 a BM-level work, while Ballade No. 4 is DMA-level work??

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Morodiene

They only know what it means if they are familiar with the system they are referring to. If someone comes online and says "I play at a grade 2 or level 2" I have no idea what this means. I need them to tell me what they're working on specifically so I have an idea of what they're doing. So, I'm telling you, it means nothing without that context.

Got it, thanks.

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88

I see an interesting challenge: to examine the pieces assigned at various levels in all these systems and come up with a correlation. It won't be perfect, because some systems might rank the relative difficulty of some pieces differently.

OK, I will do this and see what comes up. I can accept imperfection. smile

To address AZN's point, yes there will be some subjectivity in assigning levels to pieces, especially at the higher levels. I am more interested in the lower levels, and I'm really just trying to get a feel for how to understand all sorts of US-Canadian materials I end up using.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I'm not sure I can accept there is *no* correlation between these. Often a teacher here will post 'I have a student at level two and...' and other teachers at least give the impression of knowing what that means.

Well, then what does it mean?

As someone else already said it doesn't communicate specific information unless you also include what system is being used.

But it can give general information. You can understand that someone working on level one is still early on in the process, and someone at level 9 should have some significant skills.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission