2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, danno858, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I had someone at my house doing some repair work recently. He overheard me practicing and made some mention of it. So I took the opportunity to explain that I had started lessons 5 years ago and how much I enjoy it. He was surprised at how far along I had gotten in that time and said he had always wanted to learn to play but thought he was too old to start. I just laughed at him because he was clearly less than half my age!

[Linked Image]
CebuKid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BenPiano

First, it's not usual that adults pick up an instrument later in life. Second, most don't know a thing about piano or any other instrument, so it's a conversation stopper, and as I learned, and an uninteresting hobby for those I opened up to briefly.

Bingo..you hit the nail on the head there. smile I don't think the general population can relate to what *we* do, so they lose interest quickly!

Most adults who *talk* about one day picking up piano, guitar, or any other musical instrument never actually do it. There's always an excuse, other life event, or some other excuse for postponement.... Of the adults who talk about, or think about playing, the percentage of those who actually do make the leap is probably extremely low. (betcha it's less than 1%).

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I used to think I was nuts until I found you lot on here. I'm having a warm, fuzzy moment - I love you guys xxx

Playing and loving piano isn't nuts Toastie! I echo your sentiments back xxx

Wisebuff- 4 and 5 am!! That's dedication! I presume you either have a digital or live in a detached house!

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 12/27/12 08:39 PM.
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Edwardian Piano
Many years ago we bought a home on 2.7 acres of land surrounded by plots of 70-80 acre neighbors. We originally had horses but now the barn is used for workshop and a grooming salon. When we enlarged the kitchen we were affected with a bad case of "while we're at it disease" and ended up adding on to the house...a piano room (aka living room or library) and a master suite. Naturally I needed a grand piano for such a space. I'd been playing on an old upright given to me as a child. The joy of playing on a nice instrument made me want to play more and I have for many years.

Although we've had issues with the neighbors (access road, fences, our children's actions, etc.) they don't hear the piano which is cocooned in it's own room and I can almost play when I want to. My husband leaves for work at 4 or 5 in the morning so on workdays I can start then. On the weekends I remember to play music he likes (not classical) and we're both happy. Somehow he finds my work on the scales and chords less than musical. Must be that they need more work :-)

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Wisebuff - that's such an awesome set up. You could have an ABF retreat on your property. I will dream of a day I get invited to your piano party. I have to complete my piano room so that I can play all the time. Am moving the piano after next December to a room which is my puppy's nursery (the room he could mess up). I was told that Golden Retrivers stop chewing after they reach 2 year. I need to sound proof the room and change the double door to sound proof door of sort. It's not for outsiders but for my husband who likes to sleep 8 hours and watch plenty of TV.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
For the topic, I tell plenty of people about my piano hobby but no one takes me seriously. Because I'm usually very funny, they think I'm kidding. It's just does not match with my perceived personality. Those who do believe me think I'm kinda noodling around Karaoke tunes or jazz or something more cool than classical music. What people do think women who love to play classical music look like, I sometimes wonder. "A bit more lady like", my hubby here rudely interjects. Is that so?

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I definitely kept it a secret from my boss. For several years I practiced piano at lunchtime by going over to the School of Music (I work at a large university) and playing the pianos there. But it was not something that I wanted the boss to know.

But I did tell my friends. I don't think anyone really took me seriously. Recently I had a music party and invited several of them as audience. They said they had a good time, but I think they were more impressed by the bluegrass portion of the evening than by the classical piano portion.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
CebuKid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Michael_99
Now that I think about it, golfers often talked about golf, which I know nothing about, but golfers, men or women, or even kids always seemed to talk openly about golfing and the context is that perhaps most people in the world don't always include as part of their life, things that give them pleasure, joy, and satisfaction.

In the way that golfers struggle through the course, musicians/piano players struggle slowly through the measures for weeks and months until we can play the piece and then there will be a long time of playing the piece polishing it off.

Additionally, I don't have tv and haven't had tv since I left home when I was 19, but people at work would always talk about television or television shows and I could tell they were talking about television because whatever they were saying, I didn't understand, and sure enough they would say yes, it is television.

Michael, yes, I completely get your point. I was into golf for 8 years...at my best, a 25 handicap. Basically, I sucked...lol...but wasn't shy to talk about it to anyone who wanted to listen because it was my passion at the time. In general, other guys - even non-golfers - will listen to any golf (or sports) story.

As for piano, I guess I'm roughly a 15 handicap (low-to-mid intermediate). Generally, I think most people don't find classical music or musical instruments interesting - especially if it's an adult doing it. Evidence of this is that youtube video that's been floating around of that renowned Violinist playing Bach at a subway station with hardly a soul stopping to watch or listen.

Perhaps most people don't grasp the reward of piano and being able to play music. With sports or golf, there's a score that you post and your playing partners *see* your golf shots - it's easier to judge and relate to.

Through the 25+ years that I didn't play, I've always listened intently to peoples' kids playing at parties (and wishing that I could play again), and always maintained a some interest in classical music - I had a small collection of Beethoven symphony CD's and piano music. I guess you could say I was a pianist waiting to be reborn... smile

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I guess I can't even imagine not talking to folks about piano, and I can't say I've ever run into a "not interested" response. It doesn't seem to me any different from any other passtime - gardening, for instance. Or weaving. Or sports car racing. Or ballroom dancing, or taking bridge lessons. Or backpacking. Or elk hunting. All of which are activities that friends of mine do. And I enjoy their stories, and they enjoy mine.

I have many friends that are musicians. Their work friends come to hear our band play on St. Patrick's Day, and their bosses come. A couple of my clients are musicians and we go to each other's gigs, or go to hear other bands. A colleague of mine and I had season symphony tickets one time.

I go to my friend's weaving exhibits, and their races. I eat stuff from their gardens. I hope to eat some of their elk this winter laugh

I can't figure out what kind of a work environment, in which you talk about something besides work occasionally, would be either indifferent or hostile to some talk about everyone's passtimes. When I was actually an employee and not a contractor I'd hang my recital medal from the ABF recital on my office door smile For some people I'd play my recital piece that had been posted.

I find there are parallels between the focus one needs to drive a race car and the focus one needs to play piano, and that gives us common ground. There's for sure parallels in "performance anxiety" between competitive sports and gigs! And those activities all benefit from being "in the zone." I don't weave, but I certainly appreciate the time and dedication and experimentation that it takes for my friends to dye their materials and prep their looms and make pattern cartoons, and they seem to appreciate the time and effort I have to put in to play piano well.

I don't think playing piano is any more exceptional than any of those other activities, in either a good or a bad way laugh , and I've just never been shy about saying something about it.

So I'm amazed that anyone might get any different a response than they would get if they were talking about golf. I'm as likely to say "I was at a piano party in Denver this weekend" as someone else is to say "we hiked up Baldy."

Live and learn, I guess. But I talk piano all the time. Maybe people are laughing behind my back laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Hm. Just out of curiosity I counted up how many posts in this thread were "I don't tell any one/I get disinterested responses", how many "I tell lots of folks/find they're interested/play other instruments", how many "I talk about it sometimes get interested/sometimes not" or otherwise were both sides of the fence, and. . .

they came out about even laugh

So I don't think there's evidence that "most" people, in a general sense, aren't interested at all. Apparently in some of the poster's work environments "most" people aren't interested, but by no means is it in "most" people's work environments. It seems pretty evenly split.

Cebukid - maybe you just need a different work environment smile Join some of my clients laugh Or other places I've worked. There must be one that would be more responsive to your interests, since the work environments, from the sample here, seem to be pretty evenly split. Get looking!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
It is an interesting set of responses. There are some demographic groups that would be more responsive to an interest in classical piano. Advertisers and marketing types know the ages, the zipcodes and other factors that might drive a higher level of interest.

Another factor is how talkative and friendly a person is. I tend to be a quiet person, but will occasionally open up conversations. Say it is 5% of all folks that have much interest in my hobby. If I talk to 20 people, one will be interested. For some folks, 20 might be a year's worth of talking to people, for another it might be two days worth.

Rarely do I get the zero interest response. However, it is common for the one question "are you taking lessons?" and then nothing more. Sometimes it is two questions, lessons and what kind of piano? More than two questions, usually means another musician or someone with a passion for music.

Another part of it is how much interest I might show in their hobby (say golf, or tennis, or ballroom dancing, none of which I participate in). If I am not interested in their stories, they tend not to be interested in mine.

A separate but related hobby of mine, is songwriting. There might be 5% of musicians that are active songwriters, so a fellow songwriter is a far scarcer find. That said, more folks might be interested in songwriting as a casual topic than classical piano.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I guess I spend most of my sharing time on this website as I have found few of my circle want to hear about my piano life. When I was shopping for my piano, and after I found it, I was dying to tell anyone who would listen, but found polite listening and realized I was the only one who wanted to hear about this.

I have posted on here about my struggle to get a piano, teaching myself to read music and play, and so on. Hopefully someone enjoyed reading these posts. I know my friends wouldn't have.

I am married to someone who dislikes piano music, classical and jazz music in general, and really doesn't care much whether she hears music for weeks at a time. Fortunately, she indulges my interest and never made me feel guilty as I collected about 6000 cds of classical and jazz music. She also encouraged me to buy my almost-new Mason-Hamlin BB grand piano this year for a price higher than we paid for our house.

As long as I shut the door when I play, she is fine with it all. I wish she loved the music, but I am satisfied that she loves me.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
6000 cds! I'd have a problem with that.. I copied all my cds(500)to mp3(192 bit rate)
I'm still reluctant to take them to the cd store and sell them..I'm glad I never
started a movie dvd collection.. its getting out of hand...
people can assess things about you by looking around your
living room, I recently had my roof done,and the roofing contractor looked around my living room and asked if i was a
professor(all my reference books) saw my piano and asked if
he could try it (played claire de lune)
and he cut me a break on the price of my roof... smile

Last edited by Bob Newbie; 12/29/12 12:57 PM.
CebuKid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur

Cebukid - maybe you just need a different work environment smile Join some of my clients laugh Or other places I've worked. There must be one that would be more responsive to your interests, since the work environments, from the sample here, seem to be pretty evenly split. Get looking!

Cathy

Hey Cathy, either that, or join a band like you. smile
I work mostly with engineers (all types), and generally, they don't have an appreciation or interest in the arts.

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
There are a few people on the job that will ask occasionally. One guy even invited me to a piano recital at his church.....those kids where AMAZING! It would be nice to have a few close friends who shared my love for piano, but that has not happened! My wife prefers that I play when she is not home....which isn't a problem for me (I can do without the criticism, questions, and interruptions.)

I'm not to keen on the idea of public performances, so none of this is an issue for me. My piano "hobby" is very much a personal thing that I don't mind keeping to myself.......unless someone really want to hear me play!

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
I have been reading your stories and thought I'd respond. I am in education but there are a number of colleagues I work with who are musicians. It's interesting really. My boss plays at least six instruments but has never been classically trained. Another colleague of mine has been classically trained in piano but plays a lot of covers and other similar gigs. The only problem with discussing music is that we can go on for a while so it's not that productive at work. I also forgot to mention that my bosses, boss is also a classically trained musician. So, in short, I can discuss my interests with those I work with. Much of my information is gained from reading the posts from here though smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CebuKid
[quote=jotur]

Hey Cathy, either that, or join a band like you. smile
I work mostly with engineers (all types), and generally, they don't have an appreciation or interest in the arts.

Hi CebuKid, I'm an engineer myself, I work with a lot of them and I married one. A lot of them are interested in music, and play an instrument themselves (my husband plays saxophones, mainly tenor).
Other friends of mine - not engineers - don't care about my piano passion.
In general, in my experience, persons who play or have played care and like to share experiences, even if they play different kind of music (a colleague of mine plays guitar in a hard-rock band, I play only classical), others not (unless they really love you).

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Originally Posted by torquenale

Hi CebuKid, I'm an engineer myself, I work with a lot of them and I married one. A lot of them are interested in music, and play an instrument themselves (my husband plays saxophones, mainly tenor).

I would have to agree. All of the best Engineers have some background in the creative arts. I don't think I've ever met a good one one who didn't. In the days before computer science degrees were ubiquitous, we used to to filter technical resumes looking for musical background when looking for good candidates to train for computer engineering jobs. They always seemed to have the best prospects for success.

This has been a very interesting thread! My personal experience is that musical taste is so personal, that it is virtually impossible to find people in your real life that can share or even appreciate your passion. If you were singing Adele songs strumming acoustic guitar in your dorm room, you have a shot - but Classical and Jazz are just wildly unpopular in general.

The guy who finished our basement was a professional jazz guitarist and one of the original teachers at Berklee. He quit playing pretty much altogether because he just couldn't get anyone to listen. And he even had friends that he could get together with and play!

Interestingly, I've found that professional musicians are the absolute worst for appreciating amateur attempts at music. I guess it makes sense if you think about it as work for them. It would be like asking a Math teacher to correct your homework after a full day teaching. Not fun.

My take has been that through the magic of the internet, if you cast a wide enough net, you will find that handful of souls that are truly appreciative of what you are doing, and are in the same place that you are. It is a game of statistics. Of the billions of people on this earth, you can find the few that like your genre, style, sound, approach and dedication. The Pianoworld forums are awesome for this. Writing and posting to a blog is also great. I've found a few unexpected treasures this way from around the world.

I'll tell you one story... I posted a cover of "You Don't Know What Love Is" in 2011. My blog statistics told me that it was being downloaded 4-6 times a day for about four months in Bremen, Germany. I figured that it was one of those "bots" that will go around and automatically download stuff from the internet. I came to find out that it was a guy from University of Bremen who was going through a really bad breakup. The song struck him as providing just the right mood for his feelings, so he kept playing it!

Someone is out there for whom what you are creating is striking just the right chord....

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
CebuKid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kenjazz
Originally Posted by torquenale

I would have to agree. All of the best Engineers have some background in the creative arts. I don't think I've ever met a good one one who didn't. In the days before computer science degrees were ubiquitous, we used to to filter technical resumes looking for musical background when looking for good candidates to train for computer engineering jobs. They always seemed to have the best prospects for success.

This has been a very interesting thread! My personal experience is that musical taste is so personal, that it is virtually impossible to find people in your real life that can share or even appreciate your passion. If you were singing Adele songs strumming acoustic guitar in your dorm room, you have a shot - but Classical and Jazz are just wildly unpopular in general.

The guy who finished our basement was a professional jazz guitarist and one of the original teachers at Berklee. He quit playing pretty much altogether because he just couldn't get anyone to listen. And he even had friends that he could get together with and play!

Interestingly, I've found that professional musicians are the absolute worst for appreciating amateur attempts at music. I guess it makes sense if you think about it as work for them. It would be like asking a Math teacher to correct your homework after a full day teaching. Not fun.

My take has been that through the magic of the internet, if you cast a wide enough net, you will find that handful of souls that are truly appreciative of what you are doing, and are in the same place that you are. It is a game of statistics. Of the billions of people on this earth, you can find the few that like your genre, style, sound, approach and dedication. The Pianoworld forums are awesome for this. Writing and posting to a blog is also great. I've found a few unexpected treasures this way from around the world.

I'll tell you one story... I posted a cover of "You Don't Know What Love Is" in 2011. My blog statistics told me that it was being downloaded 4-6 times a day for about four months in Bremen, Germany. I figured that it was one of those "bots" that will go around and automatically download stuff from the internet. I came to find out that it was a guy from University of Bremen who was going through a really bad breakup. The song struck him as providing just the right mood for his feelings, so he kept playing it!

Someone is out there for whom what you are creating is striking just the right chord....

Interesting comments, guys. I work for a very small company (making for a small pool or sample size), and yes, I'm a career engineer too. 2 of our engineers are active musicians, actually (drummers). I'm the only pianist there. smile

The reason I generalized is that most of the engineers I've dealt with eschew the "non-technical" - they complained about college coursework that wasn't math, science, or engineering related. Most of their outside interests involve home improving, fixing things, working on their cars, etc... I like to differentiate myself from them, because I do all that stuff too, but also, use my creative/artistic side.

I do agree that the majority of them had some type of childhood musical background which is why I'm a firm believer in the "math-music" connection. I think musical background somehow simulates the part of the brain that decodes patterns, shape, etc, and I know lots of you here are from the sciences too.

Anyway, great discussion and commentary.

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission