2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I'm a tenor singer in a choir that mainly performs classical church music. Latest performance was the Chistmas Oratory of Bach. I also often accompany soloists and choirs, but I don't sing solo myself, not even in the shower.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Schroeder II
Have been assigned a lot of accompaniment songs to learn of late.
Teacher correctly advised best way was to sing melody to ensure the chords and tempo are in the correct places.

Problem? I can't sing. It's not from not wanting to. I actually love singing and was in glee club in high school.

No, the issue is I physically can't sing any more due to vocal chord damage from a bad flu bug a few years back. It's not as if I intend to be a professional entertainer after all.

It's a bit embarrassing having to play along in front of the class and the voice of Froggy from our gang comes out.

I struggle thru but wonder if anyone else has similar issues.

This can be corrected with proper lessons, fyi (and not surgery or anything invasive). I know your thing is piano, but it seems a shame that you used to be able to sing and can't due to an illness.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I was a singer in my youth, but 35 years of teaching school, overusing my voice, and onset of serious allergies resulted in a deterioration of my tone which makes me loath to sing anymore. I was a high tenor. Now I am a raspy bass-baritone. Not pleasant. Now my piano does my singing, and I must say, it does a better job than I ever did.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Anyone heard of the soprano Dawn Upshaw? She is coming to the UK next month and giving a voice masterclass. I am attending out of interest. She has a lovely voice

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by BillTheSlink

Sorry to go OT: Needed to vent frustration at self.

No need to apologize
Take it one day at a time
Mutual support is what forums like this do best

I feel better too looking at the answers this thread generated

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Morodiene
This can be corrected with proper lessons, fyi (and not surgery or anything invasive). I know your thing is piano, but it seems a shame that you used to be able to sing and can't due to an illness.
That's partially true. If it's just nodules, then with proper training and vocal awareness, they will eventually go away. However, if the nodule has grown into a polyp (main sign is a constant raspy voice than never improves, even with rest), most of the time those have to be removed surgically.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Nope. No. Nada. No singing DNA in my body.

Wish I could. I've always been in awe of people who can make a living singing and dancing.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

I just wish I could sing well enough to be pleasant enough to tell a story and have people listen. My favorite singer was the late Phil Ochs. I certainly don't agree with all his politics, but he could tell a story or take a position that made you think about things, and while not the most beautiful voice to ever take the stage, he was pleasant enough to keep you listening to. I am only 37 too and none of my friends had ever heard of him, but I have converted many.

Casio CGP 700 and love it. Learning with Alfred's All in One. I have a real live teacher now!
M
M
Originally Posted by Brian Lucas
Originally Posted by Morodiene
That's partially true. If it's just nodules, then with proper training and vocal awareness, they will eventually go away. However, if the nodule has grown into a polyp (main sign is a constant raspy voice than never improves, even with rest), most of the time those have to be removed surgically.

That is true, and the only way to find out is to go to an ENT and have them diagnose the issue. But even vocal cord paralysis can be corrected over time with proper training, so a good many things can be corrected without surgery.

Last edited by Morodiene; 12/30/12 10:08 AM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Yes. Some things from a few years ago.

http://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris/shes-leaving-home-lennon
http://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris/ive-grown-accustomed-to-her
http://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris/i-will-vocal-cd

I work on it everyday, just like the piano. Basically you have to treat it as just another instrument. You have to do it everyday though, at least with my voice. If I don't stay on it all the time, it goes south real fast I find.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I could sing and did.....many years ago.

I teached choirs and classes melodies by singing solo and they repeat.....but that's long ago....Let's say 1980.....

Nowadays.......singing...only in the bathroom and only sometimes......

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
Johan B #2007094 12/31/12 03:44 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Johan B
I could sing and did.....many years ago.

I teached choirs and classes melodies by singing solo and they repeat.....but that's long ago....Let's say 1980.....

Nowadays.......singing...only in the bathroom and only sometimes......

I could sing and did sing many years ago in my church and highschool choruses, and was good enough to get cast in some major parts in musicals in college. After pretty much stopping for more than two decades, however, I really had to work to begin to recover the ability to give a credible performance. Its been a struggle and I know I still have a lot more work to do, but I think its been worth it, since it's helped me to understand more easily and precisely written music and to enter more deeply into the process of creating piano voicings and embellishments for my own arrangements.

With such an extensive background, how come you gave it up so young? People sing into their seventies, sometimes eighties. Case in point:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=YdaNlZhmHoM[/video]

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks Starr Keys!! Isn't Alberta Hunter amazing? I find her inspiring.

BTW, I also had voice lessons, sang in choral groups in high school and college. I haven't got a solo voice. However, I can read music because my piano studies, and I can stay in tune. This was good enough to get me into concert choir and varsity chorus.

I was really tempted earlier this year to accept my teacher's invitation to join a community choral group. It was really hard to turn it down. I truly enjoyed singing in choral groups. However, I had to decline. I've at least learned to keep my priorities clear because I have limited time, and the piano is my number one music priority. smile

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/31/12 08:09 PM.

Carl

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by griffin
Thanks Starr Keys!! Isn't Alberta Hunter amazing? I find her inspiring.

BTW, I also had voice lessons, sang in choral groups in high school and college. I haven't got a solo voice. However, I can read music because my piano studies, and I can stay in tune. This was good enough to get me into concert choir and varsity chorus.

I was really tempted earlier this year to accept my teacher's invitation to join a community choral group. It was really hard to turn it down. I truly enjoyed singing in choral groups. However, I had to decline. I've at least learned to keep my priorities clear because I have limited time, and the piano is my number one music priority.

Yes, I actually think she's improved with age. Here she is in 1927:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=pF3VpXuwizw[/video]

I know what you mean about being tempted to join a choral group. I've been thinking about this for a couple of years but, like you, my priority is piano and it has held me back from acting on this desire. I've compromised in the new year, however, by registering for a 2 class a week college voice class, which I hope won't demand too much time since I'm taking it pass/fail and will satisfy my wish to sing with a group. I've heard such great things about the teacher, I just had to try and I can always drop the class if I think its going to steal to much time from my piano. On the otherhand, if I don't drop it, I will be able to take more specialized ensemble classes that specialize in the music I want to sing, like jazz.

FYI I dont' think taking private voice lessons for the last few months has hindered my progress with piano or made it less of a priority. Just the opposite, it's made me more intent on getting the accompaniment right so it will support the vocal. I don't really find myself focusing intensely on the vocal until I'm comfortable enough with the accompaniment, and that's fine. I'd rather be less perfect on the vocal and feel more confident with the accompaniment, since that's my ultimate priority.

But if the group classes work out, I will give up the private lessons, since doing both would probably take too much time from the piano and since doing so will save me a lot of money smile

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I agree with Starr Keys, working at piano and voice are completely complementary.

And if I can add one piece of advice - Don't be scared to sing. It makes you feel good.

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
Newman #2008059 01/02/13 05:05 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Newman
I agree with Starr Keys, working at piano and voice are completely complementary.

And if I can add one piece of advice - Don't be scared to sing. It makes you feel good.

And I agree with you. The biggest obstacle to progress in singing is fear and self-consciousness. I gave it up, even though it was once my greatest joy, because I was I afraid I wouldn't sing in tune on the high notes. My current teacher recognized this immediately and made me conscious of how fear was affecting me. I pulled back on the sound and withdrew breath support just when I should access it because I didn't want people to hear me go flat, which had the exact opposite effect of what I hoped for -- it made me sound less adept and made me go flat when I didn't have to.

Last edited by Starr Keys; 01/02/13 05:07 PM.
F
F
Starr Key's description of the impact of self consciousness on singing is perfect.

My teacher suggested I hold a scarf or something in my hands, and wave it around. So I got a feather boa, which is fun to play with, and is just the right amount of distraction needed to help stop my conscious critical mind from tightening up my singing apparatus. It's so true - the biggest accomplishment can be getting out of our own way.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
i don't know if i can sing, but i do anyway. After hearing Joe Cocker, i don't feel the need to appologize for my voice. smile
I think i've got pretty good range too, for 50. My gang sings some tight harmony, and depending who's in attendence, i try to fit in where needed. I consider it good training. And yes, i also singing and accompanying myself on piano. Anybody ever heard Dana Carvey's "Choppin Brocolli?"

nada
D
D
I am taking singing lessons at the moment, I can sing how good my voice is I will let others be the judge of that. Here is a few singing exercises

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Forstergirl
Starr Key's description of the impact of self consciousness on singing is perfect.

My teacher suggested I hold a scarf or something in my hands, and wave it around. So I got a feather boa, which is fun to play with, and is just the right amount of distraction needed to help stop my conscious critical mind from tightening up my singing apparatus. It's so true - the biggest accomplishment can be getting out of our own way.

That’s something my teacher hasn’t suggested. I can see the logic of it, though, since creative expression is rooted in play which is the most unselfconscious activity I can think of. On the other hand, I’m so suggestible, I’d be afraid of unconsciously making the association with “constrictor” which might only exacerbate my problem. smile 

Originally Posted by Farmerjones
i don't know if i can sing, but i do anyway. After hearing Joe Cocker, i don't feel the need to appologize for my voice. smile
I think i've got pretty good range too, for 50. My gang sings some tight harmony, and depending who's in attendence, i try to fit in where needed. I consider it good training. And yes, i also singing and accompanying myself on piano. Anybody ever heard Dana Carvey's "Choppin Brocolli?"

FJ, I love to hear anyone who can carry a tune sing and accompany themselves on the piano play and sing, and you seem to do both well. I wish there were more like you.

Originally Posted by Densi826
Here is a few singing exercises

Densi, If they ever make a musical out of Nightmare on Elm Street, you’re a shoe in for the part of Freddy Krueger. smile

Last edited by Starr Keys; 01/05/13 03:30 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission