2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (7sheji, bcalvanese, Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 5 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
#2005916 12/29/12 09:10 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
So here we go!
I'm having a great time exploring the possibilities of this instrument. Not a single issue, so far.
I've updated it to the latest version (1.12) in less than a minute. Kawai's site was very useful.
I'm 'feeling' the keys/sound more each time, though at low velocities I sometimes miss a note (it doesn't sound). That's a good emulation for a beginner, as in an upright it happens frequently.
The accompaniments are very funny and useful so as to practice scales and improvisation, and their sound is also great.
I still have to test many things: full blast, tweaking (just did something but not sure it improves the presets in therms of fidelity).
Well, not very much, I'm afraid, but it's my first experience with such a device.
Thanks again to everyone who would share their knowledge.I'll be posting here from now on to share anything that comes to my mind.
And here is the first: how to use the EQ properly, in order to avoid excessive brilliance? Sometimes, when using headphones, it's annoying. I have kinda dog ear.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hi mabraman,

Thanks for starting this thread. Im am rapidly learning more about my ES7. I've had it for almost two weeks and enjoy it immensely every time I play it. Like you, it took me a while to get the right sound to my liking. It can get a little bright with headphones. I set my touch to "heavy". Go to Menu 2 Virtual Tech the press Value to 2-1 Touch Curve and set = heavy. I tend to hit this keys a little hard so this perfect for me.

FYI, You might not be on the latest version. you said 1.12 - there is a 1.13.

Kawai James posted me this link last week: http://www.kawai.co.jp/worldwide/support/updates.html

I did the update with no problem

Thanks again for starting the thread - Marko

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I have had my ES7 for 3 weeks.

I find the sound, and the touch, generally, to be very good.

However, I have also discovered a few (2 or 3)keys which tend to make an audible "tinny" sound when struck with anything other than a light toucvh. This sound also comes through the phones, so it is being generated by the sound engine. It is not a big deal and I can live with it but I do intend to contact Kawai and ask them about it.

To get my sound "just right" I run my lineout through a mixer and reduce the highs, increase the lows and then back out through my Focal monitors at a low volume to accompany the sound coming from my ES7 internal speakers. That seems to work well, for me.

The one serious negative I experienced is with the 3-pedal unit that I purchased. I found it installed much too close to the front of the piano and I just could not adjust to that distance. I now use the sustain pedal that comes with the ES7 and that is fine for me.

The furniture stand I purchased for it works (and looks) fine.

All, in all, I am very happy with my purchase and I now have a digital piano I love to play and a sound I love to hear.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Today I've been testing some other functions:
-USB recorder: works fine, and it's a great help in some aspects beyond the obvious one.
-Touch curve (user): in addition to the different touch levels, there's one function that detects how you use the dynamics, and sets key sensitivity according to that. Interesting, but mine sounds worse than default settings. smile

Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Just a 'holding' post to say that when I have surfaced from my travels and have got back to exploring my recently acquired ES7 - just installed the latest firmware - I will contribute my thoughts to this thread. So far I am very impressed with the ES7.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
FYI, Im using the Bose MIE2i Mobile Headset with my ES7. The sound is so incredible especially on the low notes. Go get a pair asap. I know it seems ridiculous for a DP but trust me on this one. Only $119 but well worth it (MIE2 under $100 just lacks controller on cord which you don't need for DPs). Worst case, you will have a nice set of headphones for your iPhone,ipda.ipod,droid, tab, mobile anything ;-)

update: dont forget to pick up a 1/4 adapter if you dont already have one. $3 radioshack

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 01/01/13 01:59 PM.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
In an earlier post on the ES7 I mentioned distortion when playing recordings through my hi-fi. The fault was in the LH speaker of my ancient hi-fi system. The offending bass unit (one of 2 in each speaker) is so ancient it was coming adrift. Too much Bruckner? It has now been taped together and the sound is now distortion-free. So, no fault down to the ES7, to my relief. The only comment on recording to an MP3 file is that the level - even with +5db gain - is very low. Amplifying via Audacity, (with no clipping, Audacity generally sets the gain at around +18db) gets the volume up OK for headphones, but the hi-fi system needs over 50% on the dial. Normally cds etc are OK at less than 25% on the dial. Just as well I have a decent amp!

M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
And what about that jingeling sound I haven't been able to tweak? No matter how mellow the voicings are, or how much bass boost added. It's not a problem just with this DP, but common to all that I've tested before purchasing ES7.
Could it be the headphones (Sennheiser hd-205)?
It's like an excess of high frequency sounds impacting against my eardrum. I usually play at low sound levels when using headphones, but that feeling is always there. And it's annoying.
Any suggestion?

Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
'jingeling sound'?

If this is something you are able to reproduce, perhaps you can upload a recording for us to check?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Hey James, it´s not any particullar sound, but the overall feeling when playing with headphones. It´s just too much high frequency sound coming towards eardrums and, as I mentioned aboved, it happens to me with every DP I've played.
I guess it could be the headphones (I should try some with flat response) or, perhaps, that high sounds, wich give a good realistic feeling when playing, are annoying when you hear them too directly.
But it's something I want to solve.

Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
Ah, I see, thank you for clarifying this point.

Other than reducing the highest frequencies of the onboard EQ, or selecting a different pair of headphones, I'm not entirely sure what else to suggest.

It almost sounds a little like a mild form of tinnitus, so perhaps a medical professional should be consulted?

Kind regards,
James
x

M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Don't mention The Beast!!!
It would be sad and cruel to suffer from tinnitus, now that I finally dare to study music.
But yes, I'll check it. First of all, let's do better EQ task, then phones...then lest's face The Beast. Thanks!

Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Well, i've just purchased some new headphones, Vick Firth is the make. Some drummer advised me to get them, as they are solid as a rock, noise isolation is high and response is near to flat.Even with some high-end Sennheiser the problem was still there, and those weren't too expensive (80€).
And...it worked!!
In fact, it has worked a little too much, 'cause now the sound is lacking a bit of brilliance, but I prefer it as a starting point to tweak from. Now, reverb sounds useful (it was annoying before)and I'd try to do some EQ to gain highs if needed.
Lesson learned: never play a DP with too dynamic headphones.

Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Interesting you mention reverb. I'm starting to explore this too. No definite conclusions yet, but like you, I had ruled it out at the beginning.

M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Hi Sandalholme. I'm still checking things, didn't get the righ tone yet but at least I have reduced some noise.
Anyway, today is one of those days that no matter what you try, it all sounds weird.
As we say in Spain, I feel more confused than an octopus into a garage. Too much reverberation...hope I didn't choose the wrong one sick

Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
Originally Posted by sandalholme
The only comment on recording to an MP3 file is that the level - even with +5db gain - is very low. Amplifying via Audacity, (with no clipping, Audacity generally sets the gain at around +18db) gets the volume up OK for headphones, but the hi-fi system needs over 50% on the dial. Normally cds etc are OK at less than 25% on the dial. Just as well I have a decent amp!

My apologies for this delayed reply...

The USB audio recorder level is purposely set a little low to ensure that a broad dynamic range of playing (i.e. very soft to very loud) can be captured without clipping. This may be too low for recording very soft pieces, so the current generation of Kawai DPs feature a 'Recorder Gain' setting to help boost the recording level.

You note that at the +5 dB setting, the level is still a little low. Did you try increasing this further to the maximum +10 dB setting?

By the way, an alternative, less 'destructive' method of increasing the volume of recordings is to use a tool such as MP3Gain/ReplayGain. This software scans audio files and embeds additional tags informing the player software/hardware to boost or attenuate the signal, without actually changing the audio data itself.

Kind regards,
James
x

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Many thanks James. I will do a few comparisons: no ES7 gain/max Audacity; max ES7 gain/min Audacity etc just to check whether there is any audible difference. In other words, which is the cleaner method.

R
R
Hi,

I acquired an ES7 2-3 months ago and had to send it to repair because some keys where starting to make a rattling 'springy' sound which was mechanical and developed further with use. Technician said there was nothing he could do because of this, even though other Kawai units don't show this defect.

I can replace this unit with a new one, but first I would like to know of other ES7 users experiences with this (and potentially other) failures before taking the plunge. Otherwise I would resort to choose from another brand, but I do like the ES7, so I would like to know if this was a particularity of my unit.

The salesman showed me how other DP in store –including top-of-the-line KRONOS–, had this thing in some of their keys, and said it shouldn't be considered a defect, especially with stage slabs. Make of that what you will, but I wouldn't bet that many people here would settle for 2K DPs with rattling keys during the first months of use. I know that customers are not priority for some DP brands but this would be ridiculous.

Radion, if there is a defect with your ES7 and you have the option of receiving a brand new replacement, I see no reason not to take it - especially given that you like the instrument.

Kind regards,
James
x

R
R
Yeah, it's just that I'm afraid of the salesman's suggestion that this is not a defect and in fact something to be expected from DP slabs, which I find somewhat odd. He also suggested that this might have to do with damage in transportation.

I'm interested to know about other people's experiences on this. By the way James, do you know if the current ES7 batch coming from Indonesia/Japan is still the first?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission