Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
Who's Online Now
116 registered members (Agent88, ajskfld576, 2Keys, Alex Hutor, 27 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2005299 - 12/28/12 03:20 AM Fourth finger feels knackered  
Joke Fingers Offline
Joke Fingers  Offline

I’m left handed and have been playing the piano for about two years now and try to do about two and half hours a day. I split my practice into two sessions’ morning and night. Anyway I find that in the second session my fourth finger feels fatigued which becomes annoying when trying to play things evenly etc. The other fingers feel fine and my fourth finger doesn’t hurt it just feels tried. So my question is did other players find this a problem when they started out. My second question is to the more experienced players how many years did it take before you felt that hand strength wasn’t a limiting factor to the way you played.

Last edited by Joke Fingers; 12/28/12 03:21 AM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2005486 - 12/28/12 11:54 AM Re: Fourth finger feels knackered [Re: Joke Fingers]  
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Derulux  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Philadelphia
"Strength" isn't a limiting factor for adults. On day one, you have enough strength in your hands to play the piano. Some endurance is required, but because the strength required is minimal, so is the endurance (if you use proper technique).

Bearing these ideas in mind, my first suggestion would be that there is a technique issue causing your 4th finger fatigue, and not necessarily a strength/endurance issue (especially if you are practicing for 4 hours a day). My second suggestion might be early indicators of potential stress-related injuries (probably due to those technique issues).

Which one is probably impossible to diagnose over the forum, but I hope it gives you a head start..

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
#2005765 - 12/28/12 08:06 PM Re: Fourth finger feels knackered [Re: Joke Fingers]  
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member
trigalg693  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Anyone has the strength to "play the piano" but the average person does not have enough finger strength to play proper repertoire proficiently, especially if your hands are small. Heck I can reach most 10th and after not practicing for a while I lose the ability to play octaves properly because my fingers start collapsing.

Last edited by trigalg693; 12/28/12 08:07 PM.
#2005806 - 12/28/12 10:35 PM Re: Fourth finger feels knackered [Re: Joke Fingers]  
wr Offline
8000 Post Club Member
wr  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Every serious pianist has fourth finger issues that have to be dealt with - it's just a result of how our hands are built. So the idea is to get it as skilled as you can get it - it's not so much a "strength" thing, I don't think.

Exercises that give it a workout, such as some of the Dohnanyi exercises, are useful. But you must be alert to over-use and forcing things - you want to avoid injury. Doing exercises (mindfully) is one way to build and shape the neural stuff that gets that finger into optimal condition. In my experience, a good deal of issue is about one's perception of the finger and how it works, rather than the actual muscles and tendons, and mindful exercise can refine and expand that perception.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2005855 - 12/29/12 01:42 AM Re: Fourth finger feels knackered [Re: Joke Fingers]  
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Derulux  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Philadelphia
The fourth finger "issue" is usually an independence issue. Hands collapse and fingers try to play together and/or too close together because the proper "spacing" has not been established by any specific physical movement. Almost always technique, and not "strength" (unless you have a physical disability, which is something I'm assuming you'd know about).

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Digital Piano Recommendations
by One Fish Two Fish. 11/19/17 01:58 PM
Should I hear beating with my stretch?
by Beemer. 11/19/17 01:16 PM
A Safety Tip
by DavidWB. 11/19/17 01:05 PM
What to call the Inferior?
by WhoDwaldi. 11/19/17 12:48 PM
Need help with Schubert D784 Movement 1
by AviChak. 11/19/17 12:47 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,843
Posts2,672,934
Members89,159
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission