2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, 3 invisible), 1,342 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I wish to share with you all my excitement on recently finding a splendid piano museum.
I had been invited to visit a friend in SW France. On driving through a market town close to my destination, I noticed a small sign indicating ‘Piano museum’. Almost in disbelief, and breaking hard to get a longer glimpse at the signpost, there was a immediate screeching of tyres just behind me. I pulled over to the side, and a disgruntled motorist passed me, swearing under his breath and making a sign indicating he had a long and useful index finger - for more effective piano performances no doubt........
That signpost, had I imagined it? I looked again. It was there, although small, was for real. It pointed towards the town center, slightly off my main route. My excitement increased, but the sightseeing would have to wait. I drove on.
A short while later, comfortably installed with a fine glass of the local white ‘Blanquette de Limoux’ wine, I learnt from my guest - a lover of military band music - that he knew little about the piano museum, although he’d lived nearby for many years.
Early next day I took off in earnest for the town center of Limoux.

The museum building itself was an immediate surprise. A church located within the grounds of a hospital complex!
[Linked Image]

Wow, this must be it then. Humming merrily, I approach what I think is the main entrance.
[Linked Image]

Hmm! No way in here apparently. Let’s have a closer look at that sign...........
[Linked Image]

Looks impressive. I wonder what’s inside?
[Linked Image]

It looks like I have to go through the hospital entrance to the left.
(I don’t think I’m an emergency case, although my ‘significant other’ often thinks otherwise)..........

I walked through the main hospital gate to the inner side entrance of the museum. Closed. The massive oak door was firmly locked with nobody on site. Curses! The sonata I had been merrily humming, changed to a minor key. The adjacent hospital was very strategically situated. I suddenly felt positively ill. I began to wonder when was the last time they administered care to a heartbroken patient. ‘Visitors Lament’ - now there’s an original title to an opus if ever I should compose one.
I retreated to the hospital entrance and in a side office asked the receptionist when the museum would be open.
I learnt it was usually by appointment only, and was given a number to contact. Somewhat surprised that the hospital receptionist had not taken my shaken and pale appearance as a sign for a major emergency, I returned to the car and dialed the given number. An appointment was made to visit after lunch.
The young lady I had spoken to arrived promptly, and with a monster bunch of keys which would have done justice to the Bastille prison, admitted us to the museum.
Once inside, I stared in wonder! A veritable Aladdin’s cave!

Opened in 2002, the museum claims to be the only one of it’s kind in France dedicated to pianos. Two centuries of French piano history in fact. A collection of some 100 examples – of which about 60 are currently on display - showing the evolution of the piano: uprights, grands, square, pianolas, models that open sideways or with tilting keyboards, harmoniums and other unique curiosities. Some of the models exhibited are very rare. A few are listed as having been donated by private individuals, most however have been given by professionals.

I read that in 1983 there was no museum in which to house the then modest collection of 15 pianos. Several towns in France and abroad were solicited to house the collection. None were reactive.
Eventually an association in the Aude region of SW France offered the old church of Saint Jacques to be designated in a cultural role, and the museum was inaugurated in 2002.

As visitors are not normally allowed to photograph the exhibits in French museums, the following is a brief overview of the layout and instruments that I remember:

The museum is laid out in 4 dedicated areas or ‘chapels’ around the central floor area of the church.

Chapel 1. The evolution of an upright’s harmonic structure, from wooden frame through to today’s modern piano. A cymbalum is displayed as a centerpiece.
One piano has been skillfully sectioned through to clearly detail the cabinet, frame and mechanism.
To the right of this display is a fascinating view into a master piano restorer’s workshop, complete with all associated equipment and tools. This apparently was bequeathed by the widow of Henri Daraud, a renowned local piano restorer and technician. (A visit to the museum would be worth while just to see this display alone. Truly wonderful).

Chapel 2. Dedicated to the constructor Jean Henri Pape, a German expatriate who’s first pianos were the conventional square models. 1826/27 saw him registering many interesting patents, i.e. down striking action; felt hammers replacing hide-faced.
By 1827 Pape had well overtaken Pleyel in terms of production, although both were behind the French industry leader Erard at that time. The three Pape pianos on display show superb build quality.

Chapel 3. Features pianos of contrasting sizes. On display is a 1961 Klein ‘Junior’ model, 100cms high with 65 keys; a Pleyel ‘Scolaire’ of 1890; a missionaries piano (so-called for it’s ease of transport). All engulfed by a pneumatic piano some 2,12 meters in height.

Chapel 4. Highlights keyboard instruments associated with religious worship: piano/organs & harmoniums.

In the central floor area, the golden age of French piano manufacture is represented by some wonderful examples of Pleyel and Erard. There is a rare and very beautiful upright 78 notes/ 6 octaves ½ model in flame mahogany by Gabriel Pleyel dated 1831. (Ignace Pleyel had formed a partnership with his son Camille in 1822). Gabriel was the second son, who having fallen out with his elder brother Camille, went his own way with piano manufacture before forming his own association.

Of particular note is one of the oldest pianos in the collection. A square Johannes Erhard Wolder dated 1784, believed to have been manufactured in eastern France.

There are some stunning Boisselet pianos in the museum. One is an 80 note large square piano, the other an 82 note grand dated 1845 in splendid Wenga wood with brass inlays.
Jean Luis Boisselet together with his son, established his piano manufacturing business in Marseille around 1830-31. He started with square pianos, then grands, followed by uprights in 1836. His pianos were a great success, particularly patronized by Franz Litzt, and were awarded a gold medal at the 1844 Paris exposition. A Boisselet piano at this exposition is claimed to be the first ever to have a sostenuto pedal.

Also of note are rare Montel pianos dated 1836 and 1845. Beautifully crafted, these are apparently the only two on public display in the world.
Claude Montel – blind at a very early age, had a passion for music, especially the principal of acoustics and harmony. He wrote in 1834/5 two detailed works on piano tuning, one entitled L’art d’accorder soi-même son piano - ‘The art of tuning one’s piano’. This was followed by him opening his own piano workshop, which led to awards at universal exhibitions in London and Paris.

I also learnt during this visit that there was much activity in electronic music, and construction of associated instruments in Germany during the 1930's. One notable project was by Dr Walther Nernst who together with the Berlin University and collaboration with Siemens produced a Neo Bechstein electric grand piano.
There is Neo-Bechstein 88 note electronic grand displayed, dated 1932. From the written description I understood this to be an electro-acoustic adaptation of a Bechstein grand. The soundboard replaced by a series of 18 electromagnetic pickups in groups of 4&5 strings to amplify the sound. I also noted that this example even had a large fitted radio, not unlike some early examples seen in a car’s dashboard!
Unfortunately the piano and its electronic entrails are in a rather sorry condition, and certainly not playable. But being able to view this rare hybrid was an unexpected surprise.

My scribbled notes go on and on.
Roller & Blanchet: There are several on display. One of the earliest French uprights dated 1822 with bridge-type cabinet that swings opens at 180 degrees. The other is an upright dated 1834.
Mercier: Upright dated 1845, with a similar cabinet that swings open at 180 degrees.
Blondel: A 7 octave upright dated 1860.
Debain: 1860 upright.
Colin: One of the earliest French metal frame uprights, 82 keys dated 1850.
Rousselot: Grand, 1834.
Soufleto: ‘Niche de chien’ or ‘dog kennel’ piano – so named due to it’s lower central shape. Where the modern pedals would be located is a semi-circular hollow space where the player’s feet would rest. A very cute piano! (I’d love one, but would my dog)?
Kriegelstein: A 5 ½ octave Square piano of 1844, and a 6 ¾ octave upright dated 1851. These too display remarkable workmanship.
Jean George Kriegelstein initially worked for Blanchet & Mercier, later becoming a foreman at Pape before creating his own piano workshop in Paris. In the early 1900’s a 1.50 meter grand from this manufacturer was a big success due to its reduced size.
Aucher Freres: Upright 18 ? One of the first makers to have a folding keyboard.
Broadwood: Square piano.
Gaveau.

There was so much to see in this wonderful location, and I was alone to discover at my leisurely pace - the young girl who had allowed access to the museum, had retreated to a seat near the entrance and was lost in the pages of her French fashion magazine. (On entering I had asked if she was a pianist or piano-lover, to which I received a slightly embarrassed “Non Monsieur” on both counts).

Having almost completed the tour, close to the exit is a unique curiosities section. A Giraffe piano dated 1825-30 towers over visitors.
For those who have never seen a Lindner (and I’m sure there are many tuner/techs who wish they never had), there is a mint example from the sixties on display. The top is open, which clearly shows the plastic keyboard and mechanism, and unusual light metal frame. Also known as the Rippen Plastic Piano. (I don’t know about R.P.P, but R.I.P. is perhaps more appropriate).

When commencing the visit, I knew there were approx 60 exhibits, and that I would need a very minimum of 2 minutes to view and savor each. Also, I had gone back to the ‘starting post’ to check out a few non-French exhibits- for example a wonderful Broadwood square piano that I had skipped over.
When I eventually looked down at my watch, WOW! could that really be the correct time! I had been there 2 ½ hours. I quickened my pace back to the where the young guardian had remained. The magazine she had been reading was slumped at her feet, and she looked to be in a comatose state from extreme boredom. I apologized at having kept her waiting so long, and added that as it was so interesting I could easily spend more time there. At this comment she suddenly came awake with a start, certainly convinced that I was an escaped piano lunatic on the run.
As I’m not French, to stay longer – especially without my piano embroidered straight-jacket - could have created a mini international crisis. I again thanked her for the patience shown, and wished her au-revoir.
Exiting, I heard behind me those huge keys re-securing this delightful museum, together with a charming sigh of relief. And whilst walking away I couldn’t help wondering what Erard, Pleyel and their contemporaries would be manufacturing today if they were still around. And just what would they have thought of that ply-wood and plastic Lindner!

A link to the museum site follows, where one can enjoy the official photos and read additional information on the exhibits. (Best viewed with Internet Explorer rather than Firefox).
http://www.musiques-vivantes.com/le-musee-de-limoux-5.html

Please note:- the above information is correct to the best of my knowledge and translating ability. Any necessary correction (if required) or additional information would certainly be appreciated.

Currently working on:-
C Major scale (r/h only - starting with the pinkie finger)......

Dear Noah,
We could have sworn you said the ark wasn't leaving till 5.
Yours sincerely,
The Unicorns

(Sent from my Sinclair ZX81)..........

------------------------------

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for the report Tweedpipe,

From the information above, I will certainly add this to my "to visit" on my next trip to Europe. It seems that you have to make an appointment with them, but from the link you provided, it seems possible to book an appointment ahead of time.

- Mark

...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member
Tweedpipe,

Thank you so very much for your delightful sharing of your experience. It was so informative and engrossing.

Thank you also for the link to the museum.

Marty in Minnesota
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
One should sticky this thread. I bet many would love to visit this museum. Thanks for the link. I would love to see that large black Erard

http://www.musiques-vivantes.com/images/stories/Erard_1855.jpg

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hotkeys/ Marty/ Apple,

If you or anyone else may be tempted one day to visit this museum, the following link gives information of the area in English together with a location map.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limoux

Dear Noah,
Yours sincerely,
The Unicorns

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Wonderful narration of your visit. Headed over to the pics now.

Hmmmm, with the membership that we have here, I wonder if now they just won't need to open it up full time!!!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
W
W
Check this website http://www.europiano-france.org/musee_piano_limoux.php

I enjoyed your narration!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Tweedpipe... thanks for sharing your adventure!

Through PW, I discoverd the Frederick Historical Collection within an hours drive from my house. I've been enjoying setting up group tours with other PW members for the past few years and also attending spring and fall concerts. I didn't know this place existed until I had found PW.

One thing you don't mention is whether you had the chance to play any of the pianos in the museum.

This is something the Fredericks encourage when you visit their study center. It's all very enjoyable to view them but playing definitely adds a further thrill to the adventure.

Maybe through the website you can contact a director and find out more of what is offered. Perhaps there is someone who provides a tour of the museum or maybe concerts are featured at certain times of the year.

I'm not planning a trip to France anytime in the future but I think it's wonderful that you've alerted everyone to this collection.

Now was it just me or is the website only available in French??!!(non, je ne parle pas francais) help

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
TerryTunes,

Many thanks for the feed-back; I've made a special note of the Frederick Historic Collection and all being well will plan a trip next year.
No, unfortunately I didn’t get to play any of the instruments at Limoux, something tells me it would not be encouraged – unlike the Frederick collection. But I hope it may be possible next time – by prior request and permission.

You’re right the website is unfortunately only in French, as is the site that Werner provided.
In fact I noted that in the French description of the museum there are a few significant details of visiting that may not be easily noted. I can clarify these as follows:

Daily from mid June to mid September, (except Tues).
The rest of the year open during school holidays (except Christmas). Reservation required for group tours.

And for eventual planning information I've just checked regarding school holiday periods from mid Sept 2008 to mid June 2009 and these are as follows:-

25 Oct – 6 Nov 2008
21 Feb – 9 Mar 2009
18 Apr – 4 May 2009

I do hope some of you may eventually be able to make a visit. If ever you did there is another spectacular (non-piano related) tourist attraction in the region. Namely Carcassonne.

Excuse me, I now must dash back to my piano - we desperately need each other!

Dear Noah,
Yours sincerely,
The Unicorns

Thanks for sharing this info and pictures. We visited the National Music Museum at the University of S. Dakota this summer. It was truly wonderful. They have the most amazing collection of VERY Expensive items. Their piano collection is great.

Master of Music, School Teacher, Church Musician- See "Our Adventure to a New grand" thread... http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/18212.html
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Barbara and Jordan:
Thanks for sharing this info and pictures. We visited the National Music Museum at the University of S. Dakota this summer. It was truly wonderful. They have the most amazing collection of VERY Expensive items. Their piano collection is great.
Thank you for this. Yet another museum I must attempt to visit.

Dear Noah,
Yours sincerely,
The Unicorns

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission