2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
70 members (bwv872, andredatele, Bill McKaig,RPT, anotherscott, achoo42, accordeur, brendon, 24 invisible), 674 guests, and 496 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Advice: ~$10,000 price range, best bang for the buck?
TrueMusic #2003197 12/22/12 05:59 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
As previously mentioned, don't buy before you also try brand new Asian grands like Hailun, Ritmuller, Heintzman, Pramberger, etc. Just bought myself one and it's a great value for the price, since you have a limited budget too.

TrueMusic #2003254 12/22/12 09:43 PM

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
In the $10,000 range the best value I've come across is the New Cunningham, which I had the opportunity to try out last summer. It sounds from Rich's post above that a dealer near you carries it; if so, I'd definitely encourage you to try it out. It had the best bass for a piano in that price range that I've ever heard. smile

Of course, I'm biased toward Mason & Hamlin myself, but I'm curious to hear more details about the one you're going to look at soon. At the $10K price point I'm guessing it's an unrestored model, so a lot will depend on how old it is and what kind of condition it is in.

Keep us posted, and enjoy the shopping experience. smile

TrueMusic #2003286 12/22/12 11:59 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Well, spent the day at a couple different piano shops here in San Diego...found an incredible deal on a Yamaha C7 that sounded GORGEOUS and my parents said we could figure out a way to make space for it. I'm gonna get a tech down to check out the piano and give it a thumbs up, but I may of found it already. [If the piano is solid, the deal is much to good to pass up.] We'd be going a bit over the $10,000 budget, but I'm praying my parents back over the next couple years anyways [so it become my piano] so it will be fine.

But, I'm stoked if the C7 works out.

Piano/Composition major.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20
TrueMusic #2003438 12/23/12 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by TrueMusic
Well, spent the day at a couple different piano shops here in San Diego...found an incredible deal on a Yamaha C7 that sounded GORGEOUS and my parents said we could figure out a way to make space for it. I'm gonna get a tech down to check out the piano and give it a thumbs up, but I may of found it already. [If the piano is solid, the deal is much to good to pass up.] We'd be going a bit over the $10,000 budget, but I'm praying my parents back over the next couple years anyways [so it become my piano] so it will be fine.

But, I'm stoked if the C7 works out.
Buy the piano, not the deal.

While some people, like myself, spend an inordinate amount of time searching for a piano and that may be a mistake, I think two days of looking is, in general, a mistake. How can you possibly know what the possibilities are after two days? Also, why is this piano such a deal? If it's priced much less than the usual price for a Yamaha of the same age, there's usually a good reason why and it's may not be that the dealership is giving away Christmas presents. At least make sure the tech has no connection with the dealer and is giving you a very honest and knowledgeable evaluation.

What is the year for this C7?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/23/12 10:08 AM.
TrueMusic #2003444 12/23/12 10:16 AM
Online Content
I know how you feel about the C7... I played an old, warn-out C7 at a dealer while looking at another piano, and fell in love with it, even in the warn-out condition.

So, I set my sights on a C7 and finally found one I could afford.

Keep us informed...

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
TrueMusic #2003501 12/23/12 01:13 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
We'd be going a bit over the $10,000 budget...

If the piano checks out, tell them your budget is $10,000 and offer it. Be prepared to walk away and for the acceptance call the next day.

Guapo Gabacho #2003529 12/23/12 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Guapo Gabacho

If the piano checks out, tell them your budget is $10,000 and offer it. Be prepared to walk away and for the acceptance call the next day.
Complete speculation about what might occur.

TrueMusic #2003533 12/23/12 02:40 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
There are only two possible replies, yes or no.

Semipro Tech
pianoloverus #2003553 12/23/12 03:37 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Buy the piano, not the deal.

While some people, like myself, spend an inordinate amount of time searching for a piano and that may be a mistake, I think two days of looking is, in general, a mistake. How can you possibly know what the possibilities are after two days? Also, why is this piano such a deal? If it's priced much less than the usual price for a Yamaha of the same age, there's usually a good reason why and it's may not be that the dealership is giving away Christmas presents. At least make sure the tech has no connection with the dealer and is giving you a very honest and knowledgeable evaluation.

What is the year for this C7?

Well, this C7, besides a couple of the steinways that were four times the cost, was the nicest piano I played yesterday. So I would be buying the piano, but the deal would make me want to buy quicker.

I am still looking at other pianos, I'm driving down to check out the Weber in a few minutes. I'm not 100% that I NEED the C7, but it just was quite a find.

I've sent emails to a couple techs I know and I'm going to try to get one down there after Christmas. I'm certainly not buying it till a tech checks it out.

If I remember, the piano was an 87 or something. Somewhere around there.

Originally Posted by Rickster
I know how you feel about the C7... I played an old, warn-out C7 at a dealer while looking at another piano, and fell in love with it, even in the warn-out condition.

So, I set my sights on a C7 and finally found one I could afford.

Keep us informed...

All the best!

Rick

Thanks! It really was a gorgeous piano. This one seemed to my untrained eye to be in great condition [nothing visible on the body that would have made me nervous, action was perfect, strings sounded great, pedals were all perfectly functioning, and overall it seemed to be in excellent condition. But again, I'm not a trained tech.

He's already dropped the price about $13,000 for a buyer who was going to take it ahead of me but the guys credit didn't drop. It's not so far out of the budget that we can't do his asking price.

Also, one thing that gives me hope for the piano - his shop offers a 5 year warranty on all parts and labor for the piano, and that's included in the price. So that gives me some hope the piano is actually a fantastic deal, not just a dud. [if the dealer knew it was a bad piano, why would he offer to give it a 5 year warranty?]

Piano/Composition major.

Polish:
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20
TrueMusic #2003565 12/23/12 04:21 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
if the dealer knew it was a bad piano, why would he offer to give it a 5 year warranty?]

Because normal wear and tear is not included and other than that, what is warranted?

Guapo Gabacho #2003579 12/23/12 05:01 PM
if the dealer knew it was a bad piano, why would he offer to give it a 5 year warranty?]

Because normal wear and tear is not included and other than that, what is warranted?
Normal wear and tear is never included in a warranty for either a new or used piano.

pianoloverus #2003592 12/23/12 05:44 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Normal wear and tear is never included in a warranty for either a new or used piano.

No shinola, slick. That is the point, the warranty is of little value.

Guapo Gabacho #2003611 12/23/12 06:25 PM

No shinola, slick. That is the point, the warranty is of little value.
Warranties are usually designed to protect against defects in materials or manufacture. Although they are used only infrequently most people would not say they are of little value anymore than having any kind of insurance is of little value.

TrueMusic #2003707 12/23/12 10:48 PM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
If I was in the US I'd certainly consider a distance purchase from Rick Jones Pianos. They seem to have a LOT of happy customers! I know that all things being equal that you should play any piano under consideration but even so, the selection of good Yamahas and Kawais and the after-sales support on offer would really tempt me if I was struggling to be inspired by what was available locally (musically and in terms of the "deals").

But to the OP, maybe the C7 will check out? Good luck, it sounds like you have supportive and generous parents!

C. Bechstein Model B | Roland RD-1000 |
TrueMusic #2003722 12/24/12 12:20 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Well I've got a tech going with me to the shop on Thursday to check it out! So in an ideal world it will all check out and I can end my shopping early! (I can't stress it enough that the piano was beautiful - perfect action, a lovely tone, and the case was immaculate. But I can't judge the technical things, so that's where a tech comes in!)

But yes i do have very supportive and wonderful parents! A 0% interest loan from my parents on a beautiful instrument is the best I can hope for right now! smile.

Last edited by TrueMusic; 12/24/12 12:22 AM.

Piano/Composition major.

Polish:
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20
TrueMusic #2004624 12/26/12 01:50 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would avoid the smaller Yamahas.
They're just not that good compared to other brands in many people's opinion, but people often buy them simply because of the Yamaha name.

However the C7 is indeed an amazing piano and is probably the only Yamaha I would have bought, if I would have found a good deal on a used one.

One thing you should be aware of is that buying a piano usually takes much much longer than you would initially think.
(It took me about six months and I still think I rushed it a bit).

And don't fall for it when dealers tell you that a certain price will only last for a short time, because as practically everyone else will tell you here, that simply isn't true.

TrueMusic #2004718 12/26/12 08:49 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Yes now that I've played a few other Yamaha's, the C7 is the only one I'm really looking at.

For an update for all you fine people here:
I've visited most of the major piano shops here in San Diego and I've narrowed myself down to two different pianos, the used C7 and a brand new Weber 185. I've played numerous pianos this week and these were the two in the price range that really stuck out. I'm going down with a tech to check out the C7 tomorrow, and if he clears that piano as a good value and in good condition I'll probably purchase that. If it's not good, I'm going to go for the Weber I played today. The dealer had a brand new model that played beautifully for $10,000, which he said was a special deal because of some reason I'm not remembering, but that it was only there through the end of the year. And I know that you can always find deals, but I may as well go for one that has the deal now. Sadly, if I don't get a piano over the next few weeks, I'll be back into my full school and work schedule and simply won't have time for piano shopping till spring break or summer. I'll give you all a final update tomorrow once I know for sure! I was quite impressed by the Weber I played today, it had a great tone and action, could produce wonderful colors, and I found that the only thing I wished there was a bit more of was a more thundering bass, but that's hard to get in a six foot. The bass was certainly quite fine though. I'd be more than thrilled with any of these two pianos

Piano/Composition major.

Polish:
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20
TrueMusic #2005256 12/28/12 12:27 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Well, after a quit thorough looking over by my tech, he gave the C7 his seal of approval. I played it for another hour or so today and it's GORGEOUS, even in it's showroom condition where it needs a bit of work on the tuning. Basically, my tech said all the components of the piano are in near perfect condition and it looks like it had barely been played at all. Hammers were still almost completely round, strings were in great condition, the bass strings had recently been replaced, the sound board was perfect, and the tuning pins were tight. He recommended somewhere in the next six months or so having the piano voiced and regulated to really get it into tip-top shape, but that it wasn't an immediate necessity, and the sustain pedal has a little to much play in it which he said was an easy fix. But, after that sort of approval for the piano, my family and I decided to jump on it! So I'll be getting a new-to-me C7 delivered next Friday! And for the condition it was in, $15,000 is a great price! I'm incredibly excited to have a real instrument to play at home and I know my playing is going to take huge leaps over the next year being able to practice exclusively on high quality grands instead of spending most of my time on a horrible upright. Now that my home will have a great grand piano, my only options to practice on will be a Steinway B or Yamaha C5 at school [but I don't live on campus, so most of my practice time isn't there] a Mason and Hamlin 7ft at my church, or my own Yamaha C7! whoo!!

Piano/Composition major.

Polish:
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20
TrueMusic #2005292 12/28/12 02:31 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Congratulations, True! I'm more than a little envious. You certainly can't get a good C7 for anywhere near that price in Australia. Do you know the year of manufacture? I'm sure you'll be very happy. You really lucked out there considering you could have been playing a sub 6ft piano instead. Enjoy!

TrueMusic #2005306 12/28/12 04:09 AM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Congrats... Enjoy!

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner looking for purchase advice
by savagekeys - 12/05/20 11:21 AM
Fazioli soundboards
by Withindale - 12/05/20 10:08 AM
Practice and resting
by Ubu - 12/05/20 05:25 AM
Strange phenomena....
by piano_primo - 12/05/20 12:55 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,279
Posts3,030,862
Members99,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission