2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 8 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
This particular judge said "It was painful to listen to these amateur pianists, WE often needed to control ourselves so that we would not laugh during the performances". By the way, this particular judge took lesson from my teacher.

Low-quality judge. Low-quality person.

Remember, this statement in the OP is 3rd degree hearsay. On the other hand, if a judge actually said that, then I would agree.

Hakki is right that these are competitions, not fifth grade recitals. Nonetheless, if a judge actually had to control themselves to avoid laughing at a competitor in almost any sort of event, I would conclude that they were the kind of person that I would avoid in life. I would indeed judge the judge and find them wanting in basic humanity.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I so well remember the piano competition judge ...
his name was Charlie ... with a first name of Ripe.

Summary, IMO:

If he said it quite that way, he's a jerk.

Did he really say it quite that way? I'd guess not.

You do realize that you have just repeated what I said two posts above, but with less precision. Oh well.

Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
You do realize that you have just repeated what I said two posts above, but with less precision. Oh well.

Did you realize you had basically repeated what I'd said before but with even more precision? grin

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Hakki
That person is out there trying their best. They deserve better than someone, especially a judge who is supposed to be professional, laughing at them.

And this. It is being stated continually. But lets remember that this is not a primary school prom. It is a competition. The competitor has a claim that he/she is better than others. Trying your best is not an excuse. You have to be prepared and compete accordingly. Otherwise do not enter the competition in the first place. Sorry but mercy is not a judge's priority.

I certainly understand it is not a middle school dance. Is it not equally possible that the competitor has made no such claim, and is there to see where they stand? (Especially in an amateur competition, if I remember the OP correctly?) Maybe they haven't quite reached such an arrogant/insistent stage in their career as to outright suggest they are better than everyone else. Maybe they're there to honestly find out? In such a case, a simple score should suffice, and not the rudeness and arrogance of distatesful remarks or behaviors from judges who are supposed to be professionals.

I don't know.. maybe it's because I've judged at the world level in other endeavors, but I would suggest to your comment about judge's priorities that neither is improper and unprofessional behavior. If I were running the competition, I would throw out any judge who laughed at a competitor and ensure they never returned until they could conduct themselves professionally. (And I have competed in, won, judged, and run world-class competitions.)

To me, that kind of immature behavior lessens the quality and professionalism of the competition, if nothing else.

Originally Posted by debrucey
I don't think there is anything wrong with thinking that, but he probably shouldn't have actually said it.

While I would disagree with the judge's thoughts, I don't think something like this can be avoided, and I would certainly consider it higher class than outright expressing immaturity. So, in that respect, I can agree with this, even though it still irks me that someone would actually think it.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Human nature is human nature. My students make mistakes occasionally that I find funny, not because I have no sympathy for their position, but because it's just a natural instinct to find the pratfalls of others funny. Like I said, it's how you actually behave in spite of your thoughts that determines the sort of person that you are.

Online Content
Several posters seemed to have overlooked that the judge making the comment and the other judges in question did not laugh at the competitors. The judge did mention that some of the performances were so bad that the judges had to restrain themselves from laughing. In other words any behavior, if bad, was in their thoughts and not their actions.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Several posters seemed to have overlooked that the judge making the comment and the other judges in question did not laugh at the competitors. The judge did mention that some of the performances were so bad that the judges had to restrain themselves from laughing. In other words any behavior, if bad, was in their thoughts and not their actions.

Their actions necessarily included their vocalizing their thoughts. Had they not done such a thing, then their actions would fall in line with debrucey's comment, which I agree with. However, once they started vocalizing their thoughts, they were no longer restraining, but finding an outlet.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Online Content
Originally Posted by Derulux

Their actions necessarily included their vocalizing their thoughts. Had they not done such a thing, then their actions would fall in line with debrucey's comment, which I agree with. However, once they started vocalizing their thoughts, they were no longer restraining, but finding an outlet.
The point was they didn't laugh at the competitors. What they thought about or expressed afterwards to non competitors seems like a different level completely.

The OP's first post seems somewhat unclear but what seems inappropriate to me was that the OP's teacher passed on some comments from a judge that were not mean to be passed on to students. Why the teacher did this is unclear but it seems like the OP's teacher was the one acting inappropriately.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/24/12 12:42 PM.
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
pianoloverus:

Thank you so much. You just took the word from my mouth and saved me typing all this.

Derulux:

I don't have much to add to pianoloverus's post.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I totally agree with Pianoloverus! The comment was inappropriate, most likely made in confidence...but should never have been passed on and most certainly not to one's student!

Musica 71
Originally Posted by musica71
I totally agree with Pianoloverus! The comment was inappropriate, most likely made in confidence...but should never have been passed on and most certainly not to one's student!

....which IMO is part of the high chance of it not being accurate.

Someone who would do something like this is probably someone who tends not to get such things quite right and/or can't help adding his/her own embellishment or fantasy. smile

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The OP's first post seems somewhat unclear but what seems inappropriate to me was that the OP's teacher passed on some comments from a judge that were not mean to be passed on to students. Why the teacher did this is unclear but it seems like the OP's teacher was the one acting inappropriately.

My teacher passed this info to my friend because he wanted to make a point to my friend who insisted on playing something that is beyond her technical ability. My friend told my teacher that she does want to play some NON GIRLY pieces for the competition that she is going to enter (Note this is her own terms for sweet pieces, she called those pieces girly pieces). My teacher said "You'd better play girly pieces well than play bombastic pieces badly", and then he told her about what this judge said about the amateur piano competition that this judge judged.

The judge did not laugh during the competition. This judge has the right to share to his/her friend what in his/her mind, and it is good to know what judges thought during the competition so that we can plan accordingly. I personally like to know the real opinios rather than sugar coated opinions.

My teacher passed this info to my friend because he wanted to make a point to my friend who insisted on playing something that is beyond her technical ability....

More unwise judgment, IMO. Not a good way to try to make the point, and doesn't bolster the chances of its full accuracy.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
My teacher passed this info to my friend because he wanted to make a point to my friend who insisted on playing something that is beyond her technical ability....

More unwise judgment, IMO. Not a good way to try to make the point, and doesn't bolster the chances of its full accuracy.

You may think that way. But it is very effective. My friend changed her mind about trying to learn bombastic pieces. If we really pay attention to the older contestants who passed the first round, most of them played sweat and girly pieces, but they played beautifully.

I myself have a lot of temptation to play more difficult pieces, but after hearing this judge opinion, I think I will have bigger chance to pass the first round if I play easy pieces but play them very well. If I did not hear this harsh opinion from this judge, I will still try to play difficult pieces, and go nowhere.

BTW before continuing to criticize the teacher, we shouldn't forget (as I had) that our idea of what the teacher said is second-hand. We all know that what the JUDGE supposedly said was second-hand -- but really it was 3rd hand (as PianoDad said).

Here's the chain: smile
Ronald says that his friend said that the teacher said that the judge said.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
BTW before continuing to criticize the teacher, we shouldn't forget (as I had) that our idea of what the teacher said is second-hand. We all know that what the JUDGE supposedly said was second-hand -- but really it was 3rd hand (as PianoDad said).

Here's the chain: smile
Ronald says that his friend said that the teacher said that the judge said.

I will ask my teacher this coming Saturday what the judge really said. I will let you know what the judge really said. I do not think it can be inaccurate, it was just a simple message. But let's wait.

I will ask my teacher this coming Saturday what the judge really said....

Cool -- then it'll only be 2nd hand! grin

Ronald, realize that something still could be getting lost in the transmission. But it might be interesting to see if something changes in the once-less-removed rendition.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Derulux

The point was they didn't laugh at the competitors. What they thought about or expressed afterwards to non competitors seems like a different level completely.

Heresay aside, I have never been tolerant of unprofessionalism.. whether that unprofessionalism takes place in front of the student’s face or not. I still think it is highly immature of the judge, whether it’s laughing in the student’s face, or boasting later about wanting to laugh in a student’s face. I don’t see how that can be considered anything other than immature and unprofessional.

I do think the teacher needs to know their student, and what type of comments the student can handle. However, as a teacher, if I felt the student could handle it, I would certainly express the judge’s sentiments to the student, and then let the student know that that kind of attitude is completely unacceptable. The judge was wrong, and I wouldn’t want my student or anyone else adopting or modeling that behavior in any environment.

As a teacher, I would also bring up the judge’s sentiments to the people who organize and run the competition. I am certain they would not want their competition represented in such a way, whether that representation is “in confidence/private” or not.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission