2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
So as I've been playing a number of pianos this week, I've encountered numerous different types of action. Some seem to be very, very stiff, others much to loose. Some pianos seem to have a shorter distance between pushing down the key and creating sound than others. It's just been interesting playing so many vastly different pianos this last week. [digitals, uprights, concert grands, baby grands, semi-concerts, mid size grands....I've played em all this week.]

I, personally, prefer a bit lighter action, where I feel like I can easily be gliding over the keys, getting to the bottom of them at the velocity I want, without to much trouble. The action on the Yamaha C series pianos I played was generally excellent, and I like the action on most Steinways. Of course every piano, even amongst the same model of the same brand, is different! One of the professors at my school has two steinways [I believe same model - they're at least the same size] in his office - one that i love playing and has a great feel, another that has such stiff action I literally can not play certain things on it - the keyboard feels like I'm doing more of a resistance work out rather then playing piano.

But what do you find creates the "perfect" action for you and why? I'm just curious what other people in the piano world think. Obviously, a good pianist can adapt to any piano and still create music, but what sort of piano action do you find is most conducive to your playing?

Piano/Composition major.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Kawai Millenium III, at least the one on the SK-9 I played was perfect.

Last edited by trigalg693; 12/24/12 06:02 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
yamaha. what also contributes to the action's excellence in a meaningful way are the shape of the black keys and the ivorite keytops, the perfect amount of grippiness.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
I like them light. The Shigeru Kawai action felt best to me, but I've played some that were inconsistent with my original impression. I suppose they can be altered significantly from piano to piano.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Lighter action, not too bright sound.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I like a rather heavy action and a large dip. This is probably because I have played a Weinbach most of my life and have used a Virgil Practice Clavier regularly. The initial sensation of facility imparted by a light touch I find brief, unstable and tending to loss of dynamic control.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
It depends on the repertoire I'm playing sometimes. I tend to like a bit more weight to the action because the greater resistance allows me to give more dynamic range in Romantic pieces, but with Baroque or some Classical, a lighter action is preferred.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Light action with a fairly good key dip and adequate aftertouch for insurance against hammer bobble. I like a very close letoff. I've been able to "dial in" my preferred toughweight with the TouchRail system.

http://pitchlock.com/

I've posted about it before and there are other threads in the archives.

Do or do not. There is no try.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
It depends on the repertoire I'm playing sometimes. I tend to like a bit more weight to the action because the greater resistance allows me to give more dynamic range in Romantic pieces, but with Baroque or some Classical, a lighter action is preferred.

I understand your point, but the composers of the Romantic period themselves played on pianos with a lighter action (because all pianos had a lighter action back then).

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Online Content
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict

I understand your point, but the composers of the Romantic period themselves played on pianos with a lighter action (because all pianos had a lighter action back then).
If someone prefers a heavier action for whatever reason, I don't think it's relevant that the pianos the composer played on had a lighter action. Why would one choose the action another person preferred or used because it was standard at the time?

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I think that hammer recovery is just as important as how the key feels going down.

I like a light, responsive, "buttery" feeling that allows me to play rapidly repeated notes with ease. I also want a piano that allows for good dynamic control such as making it easy to play pianissimo without getting silent notes. (I think I'm talking about a well regulated Steinway. 3hearts)

Best regards,

Deborah
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

If someone prefers a heavier action for whatever reason, I don't think it's relevant that the pianos the composer played on had a lighter action. Why would one choose the action another person preferred or used because it was standard at the time?

Maybe because one really prefers it?
Not really light or heavy action, but Bathaun for example said his piano is tuned to the same frequency as Chopin's and that it sounds great.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Online Content
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Maybe because one really prefers it?
Not really light or heavy action, but Bathaun for example said his piano is tuned to the same frequency as Chopin's and that it sounds great.
What I meant, which I thought was clear from my first sentence, was why would someone choose the action only because another person from a different era preferred it? IOW the idea that the composers from the Romantic era may have played on a piano with lighter action seems irrelevant.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I still agree with what I said based on what the poster I was replying to was saying (that he/she preferred to play music of the romantic period on a piano with heavier action). What is wrong with pointing out that actually composers of the romantic period played on a piano with a lighter action? I didn't say anywhere that it is better or that it should be preferred. I just stated a simple fact. Only because I had stated in another post that I prefer a lighter action and then said that composers of the romantic period played on a piano with lighter action it doesn't mean that everybody should prefer it or that it is better or that everybody should choose it.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

M
M
I still agree with what I said based on what the poster I was replying to was saying (that he/she preferred to play music of the romantic period on a piano with heavier action). What is wrong with pointing out that actually composers of the romantic period played on a piano with a lighter action? I didn't say anywhere that it is better or that it should be preferred. I just stated a simple fact. Only because I had stated in another post that I prefer a lighter action and then said that composers of the romantic period played on a piano with lighter action it doesn't mean that everybody should prefer it or that it is better or that everybody should choose it.

Just to clarify: my preference has nothing to do with what composers of a particular era actually played on. It's based on my personal preference when playing their works. Simple.

Last edited by Morodiene; 12/25/12 05:34 PM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Just to clarify: my preference has nothing to do with what composers of a particular era actually played on. It's based on my personal preference when playing their works. Simple.

It is perfectly fine if you prefer a heavier action when playing their works.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I like a very precise, "connected" feel to the action-- predictable response, medium-light, smooth and controllable. Not too much to ask, is it? smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I prefer a pretty light action. Maybe this is because I am a small person and it is harder for me to get a really big sound out of a stiffer action. I've liked the action on most Steinways I have played. It also seems that I would rather play on an old piano than a brand new one. (As a side note, I thought this was a pretty universal preference, but then I realized I was the only pianist at my school who chose to play on the old Steinway in my teacher's office rather than the shiny new Yamaha.)

On the other hand, I don't like old, light action uprights whose keys are almost loose, which is what I have at home crazy

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sophial
I like a very precise, "connected" feel to the action-- predictable response, medium-light, smooth and controllable. Not too much to ask, is it? smile

I really like this thread! I'm a weird pianist in that I like different actions depending on the piano. For a Steinway, I LOVE a heavy action. It lends itself to the New York Steinway sound. For a cleaner sounding European piano, I like a lighter action. It matches the crisp sparkling sound of Schimmel and C. Bechstein, for example. Now, in general, if I got to pick two favorite actions, they would be the actions in the Schimmel Konzert line and the Shigeru Kawais. In fact, my 15 year career and asset acquisition goals include the purchase of either a 7'6" Shigeru Kawai or Schimmel Konzert. Hey, I can dream right????...........and work non-stop to make the come true crazy

Donald Lee III
BM '16 James Madison University
MM '18 Cincinnati Conservatory of Music

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission