2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
50 members (brennbaer, clothearednincompo, chopin_r_us, CyberGene, butchkoch, brdwyguy, cfs, beeboss, CharlesXX, 7 invisible), 746 guests, and 393 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Hi,

I’ve been lurking here for a month or so doing my research and trying to absorb the jargon and concepts. I’m 52 years old and have played guitar for about 7 years and have recently become interested in exploring/learning piano. I can’t play piano at all but have been going to the local Guitar Centers fiddling around with the digital pianos and reading about them here as much as I can. I’ve narrowed it down to the Casio Privia PX150 vs. the Yamaha P105 with a slight preference for the Yamaha.

Anyway, my question is not what piano to get but I’m curious as to how people set them up and play them at home? I think that even if I take in person lessons that I will still either study off of Youtube videos or with some piano software loaded on my computer. My second bedroom is my ‘music room’ and I often sit in my chair playing guitar along to Youtube videos or from iTunes in my iMac which is on a typical desk. For those of you learning in front of the computer are you just placing the digital piano on the desk and working from there? I was initially thinking about getting a wooden keyboard stand like the Yamaha L-85 Keyboard Stand because I believe that it would be sturdier than the X-braced stands but I’m thinking that it would be a hassle to take it in and out of the keyboard stand all the time if I was going to be using P105 on my desk all the time in front of the computer. Another option I thought might be a good idea would be to go ahead and get the sturdier wooden keyboard stand and then get an iPad to put on the music rest to watch Youtube videos/software instruction on?

So, if you would, enlighten me on the way you have your DP’s setup for learning.

Thanks. Rob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by sretsbor; 12/21/12 12:11 AM.

Yamaha P95
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
T
T
I took Skype lessons for a short while and my setup was as follows:

1. laptop on an adjustable laptop stand to the right of the piano with laptop camera pointing toward the keyboard.
2. also had an external camera on an adjustable tripod. This camera could be placed on either side of the keyboard or behind the piano bench (but behind the bench didn't really work well).
3. had an external microphone as well but didn't use because it apparently produced an echo on the teacher's end.

I tried to upload a picture of this setup but due to my lack of technical skills, I couldn't achieve this task.

Maybe this response will be of no help to you as it is not exactly what you are asking for. If that's the case just ignore it.

Virginia

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
J.Wooden

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Rob, I use a 3rd gen iPad and it works like a charm if I need to watch YouTube videos, read sheet music or listen to/watch lessons or podcats while I am sitting at the piano. I also use a couple of sight reading apps like Music Tutor. Then if I need to record my playing I plug the piano into my Macbook and use GarageBand.

I have had desktop computers for a long time but one year ago I decided to just sell my iMac and use portable devices only for both work and leisure - the ergonomics might not always be ideal but this setup is working great for me and I feel much more free.

Btw, I have a Privia PX-135 and I find it great for a beginner. I had it on an X-stand but it was way to high so I built myself a much lower and more comfortable wooden stand.

Last edited by sinophilia; 12/21/12 06:08 AM.
D
D
Whatever you do you have to be sure that the height of the keyboard and the height of your chair/bench are properly set for your body's proportions. I'm sure there are videos out there that show you where your hands and elbows should be in relation to the keys when you have your hands set on the keys ready to play. If you don't pay attention to this you can end up injuring yourself.

We learned with software for a while, hooking up the keyboard via midi cables and got feedback on how well we played. For that setup we used an X-stand and once the proper height was set we then used velcro to anchor the keyboard to the stand making it much more stable. With this setup it was also easy to move the keyboard in front of the computer desk and then move it away afterward.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My setup.

[Linked Image]

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for all the replies everybody.

@Pianotehead Nice setup and what I was thinking of originally.

@Sinophilia, thanks for the reply. This sounds like the direction I want to go in. A couple of questions for you: Do you have your Privia docked in a wooden stand, something similar to this: http://www.casio.com/products/Accessories/Stands/CS-67/ or in an X-braced stand similar to this: http://www.casio.com/products/Accessories/Stands/ARST/ ?
Or are you just putting the keyboard on any flat surface and positioning your iPad/Macbook in front of it ?

I think that I am going to get a wooden bench as kind of a dedicated piano workstation and then get an iPad to place in the music stand/rest for app lessons, Youtube, etc. I have been told is that the Casio (or Yamaha) wooden stand is the same height as a real piano and that combined with sitting on a piano bench versus my desk chair (see above) would be more conducive to learning/playing.

Rob

Last edited by sretsbor; 12/22/12 02:38 AM.

Yamaha P95
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
You are still a baby in my eyes! I'm 62 learning to play the piano. I took guitar lessons for year when I was in my late 20s. Try as I might, the 4 strings and the frets and I never got along. I had a great teacher, so it wasn't anything about teaching. He could also listen to music I had recorded off the radio and transcrib it to notes I could play.

Fiddling around with a piano, digital or acoustic, is all it takes to fall in love with the piano. So be careful. There are countless digital pianos on the market, for sure, but for most, it is what puts the piano under their fingertips and that usually involves money. Except for the rich, the average person gets what he can afford and with a little luck, enjoys the digtal piano anywhere and at anytime because they have headphones. You are smart and enlightened because you are correct that the X stand often sold with keyboard/pianos are weird. But I bought my keyboard/piano, so I could play the digital piano on my back because I had health problems that limited my ability to sit at the piano, but playing on my back I could last for hours. I put the piano/keyboard on concrete blocks and crawled under the piano and tilted it so I could play it. I used clothes begs to hold the music in place. Now, I can again sit at the piano on the piano bench but the keyboard X stand is less than perfect for sure, but carrying the keyboard of 30 pounds and the stand gets heavy to move around. By the way there are two stands, one for keyboards that are lightweight and the ones for use with weighted piano keys which is very sturdy. I wanted my digital piano to be the same as the acoustic piano as I have the same adjustable piano benches for each, but under no circumstanes would the stand adust to that height so I had to put small blocks of 2 X 4s wedged between the keyboard and the X stand.

I guess I am way too old fashioned because I am not interested in the buttons and knobs. All I want is a piano bench, 88 weighted keys keyboard and music because it only weight 30 pounds, I can take to the deck in the summer when it is way too warm to play inside. Most of the people who play the piano at any level often pencil in road signs, if you will, of notes to keep you out of trouble when you reading the music on the music stand. The digital world has not caught up to the piano players yet put they are getting there.

I am interested in your comment:

"I think that even if I take in person lessons that I will still either study off of Youtube videos or with some piano software loaded on my computer. My second bedroom is my ‘music room’ and I often sit in my chair playing guitar along to Youtube videos or from iTunes in my iMac which is on a typical desk. For those of you learning in front of the computer are you just placing the digital piano on the desk and working from there."

You see I have memory problems and I am dyslexic, but leaving that aside, There is no way to slow done the you tube video so it would take me a 1,000 hours to play back the 10 miniute video to write what is being said or to watch the hands play the music. Way, way, way, to fast for my slow damaged brain.

While it is true that guitarists are more talented than piano player because they can sit in their desk chair with a beer balanced on their kneecap while playing the Flight of the Bumblebee on the guitar, but piano players have to sit on a perfect height piano bench, straight back, finger perfect, hands perfect, and the piano players will still make mistakes playing the piano.

And lastly, it is usually not mentioned in public, but many piano players enjoy playing their digital pianos anywhere and anytime with or without an audience, but if they could, they would often choose to play a grand piano 5 feet or longer because the sounds created by a grand can bring tears to their eyes, both the player and the audience, and balancing a monitor on a grand could look tasteless in the eyes of some purists.

Last edited by Michael_99; 12/22/12 01:33 PM.
D
D7K Offline
D
I bought my Yamaha p105 in a deeply discounted kit - Xframe, stool, peddle, and case. I do a lot of video and have several audio finishing softwares (Sony SoundForge and AcidPro7) which I intend to use with my piano. Thus the real Aux. Line outs and the easy Midi connection made it very easy to hook the piano up to my system.

I find the Stand (a double X type) very sturdy and My computer screen (large) works well with my learning software. I normally use head phones but have a set of Yamaha speakers and a Bose system (when my wife is gone I love the sound from the Bose system - makes the EP sound like a different animal).

I choose to hook up to my 6 core/16 Gig system not just to learn but so I can work with my playing and loops as well as the included synths (since I am just starting, its kind of like being on the starship E and told "you have the con".

But since I have a complete "stage kit", I can easily move my EP and play where ever I want (when I can play that is:)) That was also a big element in selecting the keyboard stand.

Good luck in your choices.

Last edited by D7K; 12/22/12 03:01 PM.

Jeff
Casio PX-5S Pro - my new adventure
Yamaha p105 - gone but not forgotten
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by D7K
I bought my Yamaha p105 in a deeply discounted kit - Xframe, stool, peddle, and case. I do a lot of video and have several audio finishing softwares (Sony SoundForge and AcidPro7) which I intend to use with my piano. Thus the real Aux. Line outs and the easy Midi connection made it very easy to hook the piano up to my system.

I find the Stand (a double X type) very sturdy and My computer screen (large) works well with my learning software. I normally use head phones but have a set of Yamaha speakers and a Bose system (when my wife is gone I love the sound from the Bose system - makes the EP sound like a different animal).

I choose to hook up to my 6 core/16 Gig system not just to learn but so I can work with my playing and loops as well as the included synths (since I am just starting, its kind of like being on the starship E and told "you have the con".

But since I have a complete "stage kit", I can easily move my EP and play where ever I want (when I can play that is:)) That was also a big element in selecting the keyboard stand.

Good luck in your choices.

Thanks for your reply. If I understand you correctly this gives me another option to mull over and that is just picking up the double X keyboard stand (with the P105 on it of course) and just setting that in front of my iMac (or TV if I want to beam Youtube videos to it via Apple TV). Thanks much for the idea. Several good options offered here in this thread that will allow me to avoid clearing off my desk and putting the P105 on it every time I want to play.

Rob

Yamaha P95
D
D7K Offline
D
Yes, that is what I do, and since you have a large screen it will work well. Total setup takes about 3 minutes.I'm using the eMedia software and you can easily see the notes.

Jeff
Casio PX-5S Pro - my new adventure
Yamaha p105 - gone but not forgotten

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Revisiting Yamaha GHS action
by EB5AGV - 09/21/21 06:18 AM
Slurs in Mozart K330
by chopin_r_us - 09/21/21 05:49 AM
Best piano under 3600$ / 3000€
by PaJaC - 09/21/21 02:11 AM
FP-90 volume problems
by choppin - 09/20/21 10:15 PM
Pictures at an Exhibition: Yuking Chou Brandenburgh
by FrankCox - 09/20/21 08:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,216
Posts3,133,907
Members102,783
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission