2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 4 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
G
anotherscott wrote:
,,You can certainly get a workstation with weighted keys. Some 88 key workstations arguably have better feeling piano-style keybeds than some DPs do. In other cases, they're basically the same. The Korg SP250, SV-1, and Kronos 73/88 all have basically the same keybed. So I wouldn't rule out a workstation, if that's what you want, based on it not being called a DP."
so guys, what do yo think about Yamaha MOX-8 in that reason?

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Grazzy
so guys, what do yo think about Yamaha MOX-8 in that reason?

The MOX8 has the same quality action as the P-95 and P-105. Although those are their low end models, if that DP action is suitable for you, then you can get that action with workstation features in the MOX8.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Coming from someone who has owned many DPs from the CP300 to the RD-700GXF/NX, to the Nord Piano and now Nord Piano 2, I would say hands down the NP2 is in a class of its own for a gigging musician doing mostly acoustic piano work. The AP sounds are top notch, offer genuine variety, and connect well with the action. The action, while certainly is the least likable part of the NP2, it's no slouch. It works. Part of the price premium on the Nords is the FAR LOWER production volumes, handmade build quality, and design of the software/hardware implementation. It's expensive to have the type of RAM that allows such quick (relatively) downloading and deleting of samples.

Witt that said, I would go with the Kawai MP10, ES7, or RD-700NX/FP-7F if you're wanting a good action and still some portability. They offer good sound, good actions, and are all easily under the $3K mark. Plus all are portable, albeit the MP10 is a handful.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by PianoZac
Plus all are portable, albeit the MP10 is a handful.

Yes. I think it's right on the absolute limit of what an averagely strong person could deal with. I move mine about, but only from one room to another and it is a real struggle. Stairs would be a no-no. Maybe with a wheeled case it would be easier in general but just getting it into and out of the case would risk injury if you weren't pretty careful. The RD is easier without a doubt but due to the position of the stupid pitch-bend/mod control it is too long. FP-7F is subjectively only maybe a kilo or two lighter because of its amp/speakers. ES7 is probably a tad lighter again, getting more reasonable but they are all beasts to handle on your own. The Nord is very much easier and I suppose the lighter and less realistic action is the price you pay for portability.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I had to go down narrow stairs to a gig last night. I was going to take the FP-4 but ended up using the MP6 because I wanted the better Rhodes sounds. It was a struggle, even using a wheeled case. That piano weighs just over 47lbs. The RD at 55lbs would have been painful, and the MP10 at 70lbs would have been downright dangerous, IMO.

And of course, it's not just the raw weight of the piano. Accessories and the case itself add measurably to the overall mass that has to be manhandled. Then, when you've made more trips to bring a second keyboard, 50lbs of amp/speaker, a heavy cable bag, stand and stool, it's all a bit much for a 59-year-old. Rinse and repeat tonight! Ah well, it's better than idling away one's life in bars and clubs... wait a minute... confused

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by voxpops
I had to go down narrow stairs to a gig last night. I was going to take the FP-4 but ended up using the MP6 because I wanted the better Rhodes sounds. It was a struggle, even using a wheeled case.
Then, when you've made more trips to bring a second keyboard...

I guess your second board didn't have a sufficient Rhodes sound to drive from the FP4 either? (The FP4 does have a nice capability of allowing you to create registrations that call up specified sounds on an attached external MIDI device.) Short of going to a computer, assuming you don't want to do that, maybe you can find a rack piece with a Rhodes sound you like, to allow the lighter FP4 to be used in these situations.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by anotherscott
I had to go down narrow stairs to a gig last night. I was going to take the FP-4 but ended up using the MP6 because I wanted the better Rhodes sounds. It was a struggle, even using a wheeled case.
Then, when you've made more trips to bring a second keyboard...

I guess your second board didn't have a sufficient Rhodes sound to drive from the FP4 either? (The FP4 does have a nice capability of allowing you to create registrations that call up specified sounds on an attached external MIDI device.) Short of going to a computer, assuming you don't want to do that, maybe you can find a rack piece with a Rhodes sound you like, to allow the lighter FP4 to be used in these situations.

Well, I would have taken the Nord Electro as my second board if I'd used the FP-4. As it was, I took the Casio XW-P1 with a netbook and VB3 as my second tier. Our guitarist is off with a busted leg at the moment, and I wanted the Kawai's fuller Rhodes sound (better and more expressive than the NE2's, IMO), and the greasier B3 sound to make up for the big hole in the band's sound. I would not have dreamed of using the Casio's onboard EPs, as they suck - YMMV.

I really appreciate the FP-4's ability to set up specific registrations that can include individual MIDI setups. For a very short time I used a Ketron module with it, and have thought about repurchasing the GEM RP-X. But for the most part, it has become my "jazz" board. When I have to do duo or trio jazz gigs, it works very well, with the right degree of crispness to the AP sound, and a very fast, well-connected action.

mabraman, 2015
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
I took the Casio XW-P1 with a netbook and VB3 as my second tier.

If you've got a netbook set up in the rig anyway, I would think you could find a really nice EP for that that could run along with VB3.

I wanted the Kawai's fuller Rhodes sound (better and more expressive than the NE2's, IMO)

I'm not a big fan of the Nord EPs, so that's not surprising. I've heard good things about the Kawai (well, I guess at least from you!), I haven't had a chance to check it out myself. But my motivation would only be academic, as I would never gig with anything that heavy.

and the greasier B3 sound to make up for the big hole in the band's sound.

Which B3 sound? (The MP6 and the XW-P1 both have tonewheel modes...)

I would not have dreamed of using the Casio's onboard EPs, as they suck - YMMV.

I agree.

T
OP Offline
T
Well I am still pondering all my options at this point and waiting to see what NAMM may or may not bring. I have been listening a lot to the Nord Piano 2 demos online. Luisdent has some great videos! (nicely done btw) While I'm not impressed by the key action or the price, I am starting to see that the additional features more than make up for the initial cost. For example the huge "free" online library with a nice computer interface. And they are always adding new stuff. IMO this sets them apart (far above) the other manufactures in sheer versatility. The ability to change what is loaded on the piano and not having to be tied to a computer may just win me over to the Nord camp. At this point my mind changes with wind. Part of the learning curve I suppose...

Last edited by thercman; 12/22/12 02:28 PM.

NP2, Arturia Laboratory 61

Addictive Keys, Kawai EX Pro
Heil PR-40 Mic, Allen & Heath Mixer, Yamaha HS80
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I took the Casio XW-P1 with a netbook and VB3 as my second tier.

If you've got a netbook set up in the rig anyway, I would think you could find a really nice EP for that that could run along with VB3.

I've actually got Mr Ray 73 MKII in the netbook, although I'm not totally convinced by it, yet. I have run both VB3 and Mr Ray at home using Cantabile Lite, but it's pushing the limit of the Netbook's capability. I don't want to be living on the edge during a gig. I will have a go at Lounge Lizard, though, to find out how that fares.

and the greasier B3 sound to make up for the big hole in the band's sound.

VB3! The XW's organ is thin and sterile, and the "Leslie" is poor. The Kawai's is passable in a pinch, but I wouldn't run it from it's own keyboard, and without full drawbar control it's not much use to me.

mabraman, 2015
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by thercman
Well I am still pondering all my options at this point and waiting to see what NAMM may or may not bring. I have been listening a lot to the Nord Piano 2 demos online. Luisdent has some great videos! (nicely done btw) While I'm not impressed by the key action or the price, I am starting to see that the additional features more than make up for the initial cost. For example the huge "free" online library with a nice computer interface. And they are always adding new stuff. IMO this sets them apart (far above) the other manufactures in sheer versatility. The ability to change what is loaded on the piano and not having to be tied to a computer may just win me over to the Nord camp. At this point my mind changes with wind. Part of the learning curve I suppose...

The Nord is probably the best compromise at the moment, if you need a light(ish)weight board. But, as you say, it's best to wait to see what NAMM brings (if anything).

mabraman, 2015
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A

VB3!

Duh. <sound of hand slapping forehead>

what does the EP in casio's onboard EP stand for?

Casio Privia PX-150

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by adak
what does the EP in casio's onboard EP stand for?

Electric piano.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission