2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,164 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MARC_FR Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello
I know there are plenty of good topics concerning my subject even though I did not find any answer to the following question:

Do the C Series still exist or no ?
Or it is replaced by the CX ?

I can't be sure and I can find both thoughts by looking in internet.

Thank you for the answer
Regards

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I just checked the Yamaha USA site and it lists both CX and C series so I guess they still make and sell both for now.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I visited my local yamaha dealer a weeks ago and they told me the cx is replacing the c series, so it will be phased out. Might be able to get a good deal on a c series.

M
M
Go find the C of your desired length and offer them 75% of their asking price. You might be surprised.

J
J
25% discount on a Yamaha? That's an everyday kind of deal. Offer them HALF and a leave a callback number. They'll call you next month.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jawhitti
25% discount on a Yamaha? That's an everyday kind of deal. Offer them HALF and a leave a callback number. They'll call you next month.
How can one comment on whether a deal is good when one has no idea of the asking price? It's possible the original offer before any discount was good.

In my experience and from PW posts it would be extremely rare(virtually unheard of)for a dealer to agree to half of their asking price even if their asking price had no discount from SMP(which in itself would be quite rare nowadays).

J
J
My experience is that the price displayed on the piano is basically MSRP, at least at the dealers around me. I agree in general you're unlikely to get "50% off" a brand-new piano but if the piano has sat on the floor for two years and a new model (like the CX) has come out the discounts can be pretty close. I know a dealer who had (might still have) a never-sold pre-Blak (but still Millenium III carbon fiber) RX-5 that could probably be had for under $25k. The MSRP of a list Blak is 53k per Larry fine and even the SMP is like 43k. (I considered buying that one but I liked the [used] C6 I got for similar money better).

And anyway I never said they'd sell it at that price but they would certainly take your offer seriously. Come January when sales are sloooow who knows what a dealer might do to get some cash flow... wink

Last edited by jawhitti; 12/24/12 09:51 PM.
Originally Posted by jawhitti
My experience is that the price displayed on the piano is basically MSRP, at least at the dealers around me. I agree in general you're unlikely to get "50% off" a brand-new piano but if the piano has sat on the floor for two years and a new model (like the CX) has come out the discounts can be pretty close. I know a dealer who had (might still have) a never-sold pre-Blak (but still Millenium III carbon fiber) RX-5 that could probably be had for under $25k. The MSRP of a list Blak is 53k per Larry fine and even the SMP is like 43k. (I considered buying that one but I liked the [used] C6 I got for similar money better).

And anyway I never said they'd sell it at that price but they would certainly take your offer seriously. Come January when sales are sloooow who knows what a dealer might do to get some cash flow... wink
Not the way pricing works in NYC at any of the dealers. And virtually none of the PW posters who ask if they've been offered a fair price from a dealer have been quoted MSRP. Any buyer who does the most minimal internet search would realize paying MSRP is folly.

And again, you have no idea what price this dealer was asking. Frankly, the tone in your first post makes you sound like someone who loves to try to take advantage of a dealer.

Why would any dealer take a ridiculously low offer "seriously"? I think such a low offer is exactly the kind of offer they wouldn't take seriously.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/24/12 11:10 PM.
J
J
I provided a concrete actual example of a case where due to various reasons a "new" piano can be had for something close to "50% off" list price. I was offered that deal by the dealer without even really negotiating. It can happen.

"Taking advantage of a dealer" though? Would you say that about someone negotiating to buy a car? Pianos are less liquid and more volatile in price than cars by a long shot. Almost more like real estate in that it can a LONG time to move. There's not a thing wrong with aggressively negotiating in a such a market, especially when the presence of a "new" model devalues "last year's model".

PS: Have a Merry Christmas!

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Sellers of anything are trying to "buy" your money with their goods, just the same as you're trying to buy their goods with your money. Any purchaser of a car, piano, or anything else who doesn't internalize that functional equality is negotiating from a position of disadvantage.

There's nothing immoral about a seller asking a price higher than a buyer might be willing to pay; there's nothing immoral about a buyer offering an amount less than the seller might be willing to accept; and there's certainly nothing immoral about negotiating in good faith towards a happy medium.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
Originally Posted by ClsscLib

There's nothing immoral about a seller asking a price higher than a buyer might be willing to pay; there's nothing immoral about a buyer offering an amount less than the seller might be willing to accept; and there's certainly nothing immoral about negotiating in good faith towards a happy medium.
I think the tone of the post I objected to sounds like the poster is suggesting to try and take advantage of the precarious state some dealers are in by telling the OP to make a very low offer that the dealer will ultimately be forced to accept. To take advantage of someone else's bad times may or may not be "immoral" but it is still not desirable IMO. This would not be an example of a "happy medium".

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/25/12 12:53 PM.

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by ClsscLib

I think the tone of the post I objected to sounds like the poster is suggesting to try and take advantage of the precarious state some dealers are in by telling the OP to make a very low offer that the dealer will ultimately be forced to accept. To take advantage of someone else's bad times may or may not be "immoral" but it is still not desirable IMO. This would not be an example of a "happy medium".

If the offer makes no financial sense to the dealer, the dealer can and should say no. If it does make sense, the dealer may choose to say yes.

Sorry, I'm just not seeing the morality play here...

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
M
MARC_FR Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello
And thank you for your answer.
I had the same answer here from my manufacturer in France.
So the C-series will disappear ...

That is now absolutly sure.

Last edited by MARC_FR; 12/27/12 05:36 PM.
X
xbj Offline
X
I'm brand new here so forgive me if this is been asked before, I couldn't find anything in search. And I'm not trying to alarm anyone, I'm honestly concerned about this myself, and Yamahas have always been my favorite pianos, so I'm not trying in any way to trash the brand. Is there ANY possibility that Yamaha is liquidating their "C" line and inventory because of radiation? Has anyone put a geiger counter to any recent shipments? By the same token, the sudden flood of grey market used pianos from Japan on eBay by several dealers makes me wonder as well. I know the Yamaha factory per se is significantly south of Tokyo, but didn't they store their wood in the north? Just crazy paranoid questions that probably have been dealt with before, but it seems weird to me that Yamaha would suddenly jettison an entire line, with deep discounts for the few improvements the CX series is going to make to relatively small pianos. I realize the entire idea is to make instruments that sound more like Steinways, with purer fundamentals and less higher harmonics resulting in a mellower tone, but isn't the love of that bright sound what sells to performers and recording studios in America in the first place? The idea that there are no more Yamaha grands but grands that sound like even the best of Steinways, only consistent, bugs me a little. And with the political situation between Japan and China being what it is, they just can't move all operations there. Thanks for any more informed input!

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I suppose enough time has elapsed since Fukushima for the dangerous isotopes to be incorporated into the trees, wool and iron so Japan can take steps to speed up its exports as a useful way to de-contamanate the homeland! WHAT nonsense you are spreading xbj! Your post does not reflect well on either your character or competence!

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
OK, I really hadn't thought about radiation on Yamaha pianos... but i'm sure that's not the reason why they've issued a new line of pianos.

I always found Steinway to have MORE harmonics than Yamaha, but that could be just my ears.

What I do know, from having played a few, is that the CX pianos are excellent instruments. They are an improvement on the already very good C series. They have longer sustain, they sing more and they have far more response and dynamic range.

There are other good pianos out there, of course, but the CX are as good as many higher end pianos on the market.

It can be possible to get a 50 percent discount on a new piano, but it would usually be because the dealer is trying to clear out stock, perhaps something has remained unsold but it is ex-hire (slightly different to brand new I know) or the dealer is in trouble.

Anyway, you want to buy at the best price possible, keeping in mind that you want a good service from a reputable dealer. You don't just want someone to flog it to you, you want them to back up their product. The dealers need to be paid, and I'd always be wary of someone who sold too cheap.

YAMAHA Artist
B
B
The CX series came about as an offshoot of Yamaha developing their CFX concert grand to replace the CF-IIIS.

Spending all those years to develop what they hope would be a viable challenger to the Steinway D on the world's concert venues (the CFX has much more tonal variety and range of color than its predecessor, but is still generally brighter-sounding than Steinway D), it makes sense that their R & D would also trickle down to their smaller grands, incorporating the same improvements.

If music be the food of love, play on!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yamaha marketing decides to call the new pianos the CX-series instead of "new C-series" perhaps to emphasize the technology gained from the CFX, but in fact, it is the new C-series. The plate on my C3X says C3 (serial no. X 63.....). Also, the box that my C3X came in has 3 big labels all say "C3 PE // X.LZ.WITH BENCH", so my C3X in polish ebony is actually a C3 PE.

By the way, I am sure one could get a great deal on a CM before inventory of CM's are sold out. If the discount is significant, it may be worth it, but if the price difference is small, I would swallow hard and put up the money for the CX. The CX is well worth a small premium over the CM, IMHO. Personally if I were to choose between a new C3X or a new C6M for the same price, I would still choose the C3X.

X
xbj Offline
X
Gee, thanks, Ed, I said I was a newbie here (what a welcome) and I am about to buy five NEW and used yamaha pianos and I was merely wondering about a distinct factual possibility. No need for you to be defensive and make up straw arguments like a paranoid dealer. The question remains: Has ANYONE had the courage or even paranoid stupidity to run a geiger counter over a shipment of new or used Yamahas? Isn't it ridiculous to expect any corporation in Japan to destroy product worth hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars?

Your post offers not one single shred of proof why such concerns are unthinkable. On the contrary.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
here's proof that some yamahas are absolutely glowing...

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission