2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Susan_B Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Now that I've had the N1 for several weeks, I can clearly state that I'm happy with my decision. First off, my teacher said at my last lesson that it's as if a different student had walked in and taken my place. She continued to say she almost couldn't believe the improvement in my playing and technique in such a short period. I owe that to the AG's action. The sound isn't ideal, but I've grown used to it and I really appreciate the fact that it's always in tune!

I've noticed that I'm more inclined to play certain measures over and over without fear that I'll bother the neighbors in the condominium complex. I also play late at night with headphones. All in all, I'm happy with the AG N1.

Here's a side note: I ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s and didn't notice any descernable improvement in sound over my less expensive ones, so I sent them back. They were also less comfortable than my previous set.

Yamaha Avantgrand N1
K
K
Susan, I am happy that you kept your N1 and that it helped you to improve your piano playing. Can you tell me which head phones you were using? My sony MDR-V900 seems to do a pretty good job, but I want to try out a different brand for comparision. What do you recommend for clarity with some bass?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Glad that the piano worked out well for you!

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's refreshing to see you change your mind in this open forum and am glad you're getting everything that the AG was designed for.

I'm going to be the child here (cause I can't resist...) and say I told ya so. It's miles ahead of any upright or old grand

You can always visit piano stores, religious kiosks, friends, and your teacher to play on a real grand and someday you might even be in the position to have your own. But even then, I think having an AG has merit.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by 36251

It's miles ahead of any upright

No, it really isn't. If it were, they would sell more of them. It has a certain advantage because of the action to some customers. It terms of sound, my Yamaha U3 upright easily smokes it. The AG doesn't have the dynamic range, the sustain, or the natural decay of a real piano. The looped samples are a major shortcoming of the AG. It's inexcusable that such a product cuts corners on sound when it would have been so easy to put in full length samples. If that meant putting a couple of hundred dollars worth of better hardware in there, so be it. The AG should have been a no-compromise instrument - at least in terms of action and sound samples. They only got it half right. To some, the action means more than the sound. They are the ones who are happy with their AG. The AG is nice, but let's not get too carried away by what it can do.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Is not
Is too
Is not
Is too

shocked

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando
The AG doesn't have the dynamic range, the sustain, or the natural decay of a real piano. The looped samples are a major shortcoming of the AG.

I'm listening to the N3 DPBSD MP3 again and the note decays are really too short IMO. The pedal sympathetic resonance isn't bad, but the algorithm is perhaps too simplistic because it seems to accentuate the sound of some of the loops (which are also quite short) rather than mask them. The looping sound during the silent replay test is quite obnoxious, and on many notes there is a gradual timbre change during the crossfade from attack to loop that is somewhat unnatural sounding.

The short decay time could lead to bad pedaling habits long-term, as one might be inclined to hold the pedal down more in an attempt to get more out of it. The AG might make a good second piano if one already owns a good acoustic, or make a good VST controller, but as a main axe is probably asking too much of it IMO.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

It's miles ahead of any upright

No, it really isn't. If it were, they would sell more of them. It has a certain advantage because of the action to some customers. It terms of sound, my Yamaha U3 upright easily smokes it. The AG doesn't have the dynamic range, the sustain, or the natural decay of a real piano. The looped samples are a major shortcoming of the AG. It's inexcusable that such a product cuts corners on sound when it would have been so easy to put in full length samples. If that meant putting a couple of hundred dollars worth of better hardware in there, so be it. The AG should have been a no-compromise instrument - at least in terms of action and sound samples. They only got it half right. To some, the action means more than the sound. They are the ones who are happy with their AG. The AG is nice, but let's not get too carried away by what it can do.
I appreciate the aesthetics of an acoustic instrument and if I had the money and space I'd certainly have both. But for people that don't live by themselves in a house and are not already accomplished players, I stand by my post.

As far as why they don't sell better...they're expensive. A used upright or cheap Casio is probably the instrument of choice. IMO, having great action and a tuned instrument and the ability to play stealth is an advantage for many people.

The other issue with this constant debate is based of what type of music is being played. I play mostly jazz and occasionally classical. I can certainly understand someone playing classical getting more feedback from an acoustic but I don't think the decay,variety of timbre, soft pedal is very good. Give me the tuned AG every time.

As I've said before on this site, I owned a Steinway K 52" upright, that my piano tuner called "one of the best uprights he's every played or heard." Since I decided to part ways with it for AG, I feel I've made great strides at practicing more thoroughly and am always inspired by the feel (and sound) of it. I guess, I'm a "glass 1/2 full guy" and don't waste time trying to find fault with it. The good outweighs the bad and never think that I made the wrong choice.

A
A
Originally Posted by Susan_B

Here's a side note: I ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s and didn't notice any descernable improvement in sound over my less expensive ones, so I sent them back. They were also less comfortable than my previous set.

Any improvement in the headphones are not going to overcome the inherent sound quality. Have you tried a software based solution? If you are after better sound, that will be a big improvement.

Do you find the touch and response very similar to the piano played at your lessons? (which I assume is a grand piano)

I have been flip-flopping between an N1 or a cheap grand... and I'm leaning towards the N1. I really don't have a good space for a grand piano (I can fit it in my lounge but it's not ideal), and the fact the N1 is small yet has a genuine action and comes with the ability to practice with headphones is really appealing. I can always get a real grand later when I have more space (and I will be better at playing having practiced on an N1!) I hope to actually try one next week!

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

I appreciate the aesthetics of an acoustic instrument and if I had the money and space I'd certainly have both. But for people that don't live by themselves in a house and are not already accomplished players, I stand by my post.

It's not just aesthetics - it's better sound from real strings and hammers.

Nobody has ever disputed their utility - they can be played silently/quietly. They have a grand-like action (minus the connection to high quality sound, minus the damper weight, so not really an exact copy of a grand action.) You made a statement which is highly debatable - that an AG is miles ahead of any upright. Many would disagree with you.

As far as why they don't sell better...they're expensive. A used upright or cheap Casio is probably the instrument of choice.
A new upright still costs more than an AG. A cheap upright costs more than an N1. A high end upright costs more than an N3. And everything in between. More people buy uprights than AGs. The convenience and advantages of the AG notwithstanding.

[quote]IMO, having great action and a tuned instrument and the ability to play stealth is an advantage for many people.

That goes without question that that is one of the strong points of the AGs. Nobody is disputing that.

The other issue with this constant debate is based of what type of music is being played. I play mostly jazz and occasionally classical. I can certainly understand someone playing classical getting more feedback from an acoustic but I don't think the decay,variety of timbre, soft pedal is very good. Give me the tuned AG every time.

Acoustic pianos can be tuned, you know. Aside from that, every shortcoming you list about the sound of an upright is worse on the AG. The looped samples, the poor decay, the lack of tonal variation, the boxy sound of the speakers. It's all there for anybody to hear. Tuning is only one parameter of a good piano sound.

I guess, I'm a "glass 1/2 full guy" and don't waste time trying to find fault with it. The good outweighs the bad and never think that I made the wrong choice.

This isn't only about you though. For many people the acoustic offers far more. You are characterising yourself as a positive type, seeing the glass as half-full, but you are very negative about upright acoustic pianos - whereas I like them far more. You might as well call me a glass half-full type guy, with you being the one who wastes time finding fault with acoustics. There's no difference - apart from the preference and priorities we have.

Finally, nobody is trying to make you think you made the wrong choice. It's great that you are happy with your piano. But you invited a challenge by stating so categorically that an AG is miles ahead of any upright. That is your opinion, and the opinion of a minority. More people like upright acoustics - that's a fact.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That is your opinion, and the opinion of a minority. More people like upright acoustics - that's a fact.

In a loving way, may I say: <raspberry>

K
Kos Offline
K
It's inexcusable that such a product cuts corners on sound when it would have been so easy to put in full length samples.

Actually, there's a very good excuse for it: Yamaha has to worry about creating competition to their own acoustic products. AvantGrand with software piano-like samples would be too much of a sweet spot compared to an entry level baby grand.

Originally Posted by dewster
The AG might make a good VST controller

6500 euros for a MIDI controller, now these are the times smile

"There is nothing to piano playing besides producing the appropriate velocities on the appropriate keys at the appropriate time" (c) qvfarns
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Kos
It's inexcusable that such a product cuts corners on sound when it would have been so easy to put in full length samples.

Actually, there's a very good excuse for it: Yamaha has to worry about creating competition to their own acoustic products. AvantGrand with software piano-like samples would be too much of a sweet spot compared to an entry level baby grand.

So in other words, they've deliberately sacrificed sound quality and emphasised other features so it doesn't step on the toes of its acoustic brethren. That's all I've been saying. I'm all for the other features, I just think the sound isn't up to scratch. At some point I expect them to change this philosophy and I think they'll build a truly spectacular AG. Until they get the sound right and stop being stingy with the sample size and resonance simulation, it's acoustic for me. Trust me, if they could make these AGs actually sound close to an acoustic - I'd buy one tomorrow.

S
Susan_B Offline OP
OP Offline
S
kenboi2, the headphones I use are Ultrasone s-logic, made in Germany. They were around $100. I didn't notice any difference in sound quality with the AG between these and the much more expensive HD650. The Ultrasones are comfortable, too.

To all, yes, in a perfect world the sound would be better than it is on the AG, but as I've said, I've grown used to it. I'm quite happy with it now and appreciate the control I have playing certain pieces that I did not have with the upright. I decided to start this thread because I knew some people who were interested in buying an AG had followed the other thread. I wanted those people in particular to know this hybrid has been a wonderful solution to my practice needs.

Yamaha Avantgrand N1
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This is not a reason for Yamaha to cut corners ...
Originally Posted by Kos

Yamaha really should set up the AGs to compete directly with their uprights and small grand pianos. Those who like piano via speakers can buy an AG. Those who cannot can buy the acoustic.

In the end I suspect that an AG sale is preferable for Yamaha. The AGs may be more profitable, since they've shed a great deal of the material and labor needed to manufacture an acoustic: No fine-wood rim, no iron plate, no soundboard, no bridges, no strings, no tuning pins, no prep, lower shipping weight. And it still sells at a high price.

Sweet, for Yamaha.

B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

In the end I suspect that an AG sale is preferable for Yamaha. The AGs may be more profitable, since they've shed a great deal of the material and labor needed to manufacture an acoustic: No fine-wood rim, no iron plate, no soundboard, no bridges, no strings, no tuning pins, no prep, lower shipping weight. And it still sells at a high price.

Sweet, for Yamaha.

+1 on that. particularly since its sounds like they didn't go out of their way to put exceptional software in it.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

I think this is true. Some time in the past, someone said on this forum that an AvantGrand sale makes about as much profit as a silent grand. Of course, that's all hearsay but I certainly could believe that there is a lot of cost savings in the AG relative to a nice acoustic.

As for whether they *should* be putting better technology into it...well, I think we'd all be happy if they did, but they completely own the hybrid market. Competition is what makes businesses put out great stuff. The closest competition to the N1 is upper-level digitals from other manufacturers, which it could be argued are not close substitutes. And those pianos all have looped samples as well. Until there is some really great competition for the AvantGrand line I don't see why Yamaha would bother improving them. Spending zero on R&D for a technology product that just keeps selling has to look good to the accountants.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
"Religious kiosks"?

Really??

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member

...You can always visit piano stores, religious kiosks, friends, and your teacher to play on a real grand and someday you might even be in the position to have your own. But even then, I think having an AG has merit.

I had to trade in my N2 to make the deal for my acoustic grand, but I wish I had been able to keep it as a second option.

It didn't take me long to go out and get another, less-expensive-but-still-good DP to supplement the acoustic (which I love).

For many people, acoustic and digital is not "either/or" but rather "yes/and".

Last edited by ClsscLib; 12/21/12 03:15 PM.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
"Religious kiosks"?

Really??
That is a new way I thought of while writing post to include all denominations. Most places of worship have a piano. smile

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission