2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, 13 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
The lack of harmonic diversity is one problem I have with Boogie piano - for the same reason I can't listen to too much old-school blues. The whole "12-bar" tonality gets too much for me. It's a marvellous skill, but it doesn't move me emotionally. It seems to get some people really excited, I just can't feel it. It just isn't speaking my language. But that's ok.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

I think the main thing that boogie, blues, and stride have over classical is the incredible pure fun in most of these pieces. IMO there is virtually nothing like that in classical music but classical, of course, encompasses countless emotions never heard in boogie woogie.

You are correct...Boogie-Woogie is mostly a one emotion style: pure fun and joy!

But in the same sentence you also mention Blues, and say that classical "encompasses countless emotions never heard in boogie woogie."

A clarification of the styles is in order.

"Blues" is a wide genre, much like "Classical", and encompasses many years of development, numerous sub-styles, various instruments from solo instruments (such as piano or guitar), to full band and orchestras, and countless emotions from sad to joy.

"Boogie-Woogie" is a version of Blues, a fast piano 12-bar Blues that is joyous and fun.

Last edited by rocket88; 12/21/12 11:18 AM. Reason: clarity

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by rocket88

I think the main thing that boogie, blues, and stride have over classical is the incredible pure fun in most of these pieces. IMO there is virtually nothing like that in classical music but classical, of course, encompasses countless emotions never heard in boogie woogie.

You are correct...Boogie-Woogie is mostly a one emotion style: pure fun and joy!

But in the same sentence you also mention Blues, and say that classical "encompasses countless emotions never heard in boogie woogie."

A clarification of the styles is in order.

"Blues" is a wide genre, much like "Classical", and encompasses many years of development, numerous sub-styles, various instruments from solo instruments (such as piano or guitar), to full band and orchestras, and countless emotions from sad to joy.

"Boogie-Woogie" is a version of Blues, a fast piano 12-bar Blues that is joyous and fun.
You are right. Perhaps what I said applies only to boogie and the up tempo stride pieces? I really know almost no blues pieces that are not in the sub category of boogie.

Which, if any, of these pieces would fit the category of blues but not boogie?

James Booker:On the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK8NBBnpb1Q
Hank Duncan:St. Louis Blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S97dIfk4LSc
Albert Ammons:Has Anyone Seen Corrine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL3bWNUXCC0

What are some of the most famous solo piano blues works or solo piano blues pianists to listen to in order to get a feel for this style?

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Ragdoll
I was amazed to see this thread in the Pianist Corner as I tended to think this room was more classically oriented. I love boogie and I'm slowly picking it up. I agree that some of it wears on you after a bit but I think mostly this is due to being poorly arranged (not that boogie is usually arranged per se)and way too repetitious smokin.
I purposely posted it here because I was curious to see if other mostly classical pianists, like myself, enjoyed this or have even played it.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It's alright.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

What are some of the most famous solo piano blues works or solo piano blues pianists to listen to in order to get a feel for this style?

Otis Spann is considered one of the best for Chicago-style Blues. Here is a few:

Otis doing an uptempo Blues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkIB_XODjvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llBUG1vj9cc&list=AL94UKMTqg-9BF043c3F7wMBdtksGVZZpG

A slow one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GswCGZljmKk

Also, the free song in my signature is an up-temp Blues getting close to Boogie-Woogie.

Last edited by rocket88; 12/21/12 01:11 PM. Reason: clarity

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
B
BDB Offline
B
I do not really think of boogie woogie as having a particular tie to New Orleans. New Orleans music is more diverse than just one style, from Preservation Hall, through to the Marsalis family. I have a particular fondness for Allan Toussaint, one of our great composers who has written in many styles.

Semipro Tech
B
BDB Offline
B
As it happens, I have a book of boogie woogie songs, and I thought I would share a few of them to show the great diversity of the style. These are the first five:

Between 18th and 19th

(That probably refers to Philadelphia. My wife grew up on Chestnut Street in Chester.)

Yodelin'

'Tain't What You Do

Conga

Get On Board
(Only the first one, but you cannot leave out the great Paul Robeson!)

And one of my favorites which is not in that book:

Buckaroo

Last edited by BDB; 12/21/12 02:27 PM.

Semipro Tech
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission