2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I have no loyalty to a DP just because I happen to have it. I've criticized my past DP's heavily, including this one.

BUT -- after playing with the Faz sample, I'm wowed. I don't think there's another board that would do it for me.

And listening to Youtubes, etc. doesn't help. I listened the original recordings of the Faz including Youtube samples and had a negative opinion until I played it. I didn't realize how good it felt for a player and how tweakable the sound is.

Is this the only sample where there's 100% agreement by everyone as the favorite? I don't recall any other sample being voted unanimously at the top of the pile. I haven't heard of a dissenter in two forums so far.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 36251
I guess it's tough after playing gigs using Vintage D.

Interesting, you play gigs with a software piano? What kind of a setup do you have?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by jazzwee
I have no loyalty to a DP just because I happen to have it. I've criticized my past DP's heavily, including this one.

BUT -- after playing with the Faz sample, I'm wowed. I don't think there's another board that would do it for me.

And listening to Youtubes, etc. doesn't help. I listened the original recordings of the Faz including Youtube samples and had a negative opinion until I played it. I didn't realize how good it felt for a player and how tweakable the sound is.

Is this the only sample where there's 100% agreement by everyone as the favorite? I don't recall any other sample being voted unanimously at the top of the pile. I haven't heard of a dissenter in two forums so far.

+1

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Interesting, you play gigs with a software piano? What kind of a setup do you have?
FP4 and HP laptop. I use Traktor Audio 2 and plug stereo jacks into FP4 input (so I can always switch to FP4 if there's a software issue.) I either run mono or stereo to my ancient GK keyboard amps and have the onboard speakers of FP4 adding some sound. I use Vintage D and NeoSoul for EP.

I'm playing strictly jazz gigs so I don't need to switch programs once I dial them in. For Vintage D, I'm currently using "In da jazz club?" preset.

I've never been more satisfied with the sound and action of this combo. When I suck, I can only blame myself smile

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
New products, sound libraries, etc seem to be praised by their first adopters. I think it has something to do with the higher expectations. I guess we'll have least biased reviews when the hype surrounding a new free library sound (extremely cool Christmas present for Nord users indeed) settles down a bit.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm not being paid to use Nord keyboards nor am I given free gear. My enthusiasm comes from the quality of their products from the build quality, the simplistic design layout (excellent for giggers), the weight and portability, the free sample libraries, the constant updates to either the libraries ir the software (like adding functionality i.e. adding Long Release to the NP88), and not least of which, the excellent sound quality and genuine variety.

I have my complaints about the action and I'm not a fan of all of their sounds, but Nord offers a very unique product and approach. I am a multiple repeat buyer and supporter because their product works. No honeymoon here!

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Another unpaid member of Club Red here. While I have my criticisms I enjoy Clavia's open concept, and the quality of their instruments. That new piano sound just proves again that their way of doing things is a refreshingly good one.

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Nord sound + decent action = fantastic playing experience. wink

... waiting ...

B
B
I'm going to assume that Nord knows that their action is sub par? I wonder what their thinking is by not implementing at least a decent action with their boards.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by btcomm
I'm going to assume that Nord knows that their action is sub par? I wonder what their thinking is by not implementing at least a decent action with their boards.

I can only assume weight. It would be interesting to discover what the bare action weighs with the Fatar action and then compare that with the better actions out there. The other issue is that Nord has to source actions from somewhere. I imagine the cost of developing their own from scratch would be prohibitive. Maybe they approached Yamaha or Roland or whoever and got shown the door?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Sure they know but I doubt there is anything they can do at the moment. James, any chance of a future joint venture between Kawai and Nord? laugh You are a Nord user and a Kawai employee, I'd bet you dream of something like that happening wink And a Happy New Year to you I guess smile

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by btcomm

Their thinking is that they are not equipped to manufacture their own keyboards, so they are limited to what is made available to them from other manufacturers, i.e. Fatar. (By contrast, Yamaha, Roland, Kawai, and Casio design and build their own keybeds, and don't offer them to their competitors. Luckily, it is easy to trigger a Nord from another board, which is why I sometimes suggest getting a light, unweighted Nord and then trigger it from the weighted 88 of your choice, leaving the Nord's own keybed as something to be used when playing organ or other sounds where you might not want the weighted action... best of both worlds.)

The other issue would be that their branding is based on boards that are relatively compact and portable, so even if they had a high quality action available to them, they would probably be disinclined to use it if it were to result in a 75 pound board like a Kawai MP-10.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
The best way around this issue is not for Nord to develop their own action or even necessarily source a better one but to release a Nord Piano module and charge no more than £500 for it. Problem solved for us all.

D
D
Yup, offering modules, be it rack or tabletop, would solve a lot of problems / gripes. They've done it in the past.

I'd love a Stage 2 module, as there are a ton of sounds I'd MIDI to both of my boards. As long as they're at it, double the memory on it.

Last edited by dje31; 12/31/12 11:59 AM.

Yamaha CP33 | Roland XP-30
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by EssBrace
The best way around this issue is not for Nord to develop their own action or even necessarily source a better one but to release a Nord Piano module and charge no more than £500 for it. Problem solved for us all.

The original Nord piano was, what, £2000? The keybed was not £1500 of it, 75% of its cost. No way they sell a keyboard-less version for £500. Triple that, maybe...

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by anotherscott

The original Nord piano was, what, £2000? The keybed was not £1500 of it, 75% of its cost. No way they sell a keyboard-less version for £500. Triple that, maybe...

Let's compromise and go £1000 then? I could consider that - especially if somebody would make a good MIDI only keyboard.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I thinks there is a chink in one's armor. The multiple people discussing their true desire for a module cause of the action. I know this isn't a new topic and understand that Nord has a made a decision to keep their brand low weight.

You also talk about how Nord supports their keyboards with updated sounds and I agree it's a wonderful system. That's until they redesign the memory limit and then you have to go spend another $3000+ (minus resale value of current model,) to stay at their cutting edge. I guess you have to give them credit for such an inventive business model. Though how gracious it would be for Nord to sell a hardware, memory update, so the consumer could avoid the depreciation.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 36251
I thinks there is a chink in one's armor. The multiple people discussing their true desire for a module cause of the action. I know this isn't a new topic and understand that Nord has a made a decision to keep their brand low weight.

Wow, you're big into this fanboy thing.

First of all, all of us were aware of the limitations of the action before we bought it. And all of us would prefer a better action obviously.

But decisions are made based on what's available at the time. You make it sound like none of us would switch to a different manufacturer if they came up with something better (for gigging).

I myself gave up a new Roland FP7F. I'd switch back and forth without compunction if the need arises.

I have to say that MY COMPLAINT about the action has now been REDUCED because of the velocity response of the new sample. So without changing hardware, a major problem has been handled.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by anotherscott

I take your point but the original Nord Piano was £1699. There is not just the key action to consider. It is the physical form factor - the sheer volume of materials. A single unit rack mount box that could be slotted into an off-the-shelf casing with bespoke front panel and connectors and painted red would be a lot cheaper than a Nord Piano to make in terms of basic cost. Throw in the sound engine and away you go. The Kurzweil and General Music modules - that were absolutely competitive in their day with the then current and best stage pianos - retailed around £399 at a time when the equivalent full 88 note stage pianos were £1250 or thereabouts. The Korg SG-Pro-X Rack was £599 at a time when the "mother piano", the SG-Pro-X, was £1499. Maybe I was being optimistic at £500 but there's no way it would need to be even £1000. Assuming the rack mount could be made at, let's say 40% of the cost of the "mother piano", I reckon £800 is entirely realistic against the Nord Piano 2's £2000 list price (or whatever it is).

It's a pipe dream no doubt. But a nice one.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I don't have a NORD but have played one. I too was disappointed by the action for home/studio playing of classical and modern but not pop/rock/blues/jazz music. I wondered though if the keyboard was perfectly fine for gigging with in a band, adequate for solos, and so met the Nord designers requirements. Of course better is always achievable on all or most DP's, just read the forums! smile

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission