2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 15 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
I have been looking for a used piano for some time. I can't afford a new piano and can't afford to pay a lot for a used one either. I am trying to get the best I can afford for my kids who are both in lessons (son playing for 12 years, daughter playing for 6 years). The piano teacher is recommending a taller piano with more direct action, so small consoles are probably out. I am trying to find a Yamaha.....

I have found a used Yamaha U1. It is a 1974 piano that has been in the seller's family for about 40 years. The seller says it has been lightly played by one person and tuned regularly over the years, but it hasn't been tuned for 2 years and the owner hasn't played much for 5 years. The piano has been moved once in that time. The owner is willing to have a piano technician look at it - which we will do if we buy. They are asking $3000 CDN. The piano is located in Victoria, BC, CANADA. Given my budget, is this a good piano to consider? Is there anything that we should watch for for this piano given its age?

There is one other piano - a lightly used Yamaha T121 that is about 8 years old. This piano from what I gather is shorter than the U1. The owner is asking $3400. What is your advice re this one... we thought that the U1 might be a better choice and because of the height and because we may be able to negotiate the price down a bit - the price on the T121 is fixed. Thanks for any advice you have.

Last edited by Momneedsadvice; 12/21/12 01:41 PM.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
The U1 is a good piano, but of course the age of the piano, nearly 40 years, is of concern. With used pianos, nearly everything depends on care and maintenance. When you were told, "regularly tuned", you are entitled to ask how regularly. If it has not been tuned for 2 years, I would suspect that the owner has not given piano maintenance a priority. A piano left untuned over a period of some years, deteriorates as the pitch will gradually fall and subsequently, it is difficult to achieve a refined tuning. An independent technical check is essential and any problems or defects which are picked up will affect the price negotiations. I would think that the price is a little high given the age of the instrument.

Good luck!

Robert.

Last edited by Robert 45; 12/20/12 02:13 PM.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission