2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Nice Ben, baroque I assume...great control and timing...

Originally Posted by BenPiano

When I finished, I paused for a moment and thought to myself, "Woah, did I really do that?"

Awesome! That is the beauty of recording. No one can ever take that away from you. Even if you don't remember a note of it next week, you nailed it forevermore in digital eternity. Great job.

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ben,

Wow! You are getting just scary-good these days. Very, very, nice...especially with only a few takes. Boy, do I envy the level of relaxed control you seem to have developed. Good work.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I haven't contributed to one of these for a long time but I got home early, thought - let's turn on the Zoom and see if I can knock "The Christmas Song." And it's not too bad - I mostly play classical these days so improvising around the chords and melody isn't what I'm usually doing. But it still seems to work OK ...

The Christmas Song

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Ben, that's a wonderful performance on the Handel sonatina. Simply superb.

Andy Platt, you do a grat job with The Christmas Song. I like your arrangement a great deal.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

Originally Posted by Andy Platt
let's turn on the Zoom and see if I can knock "The Christmas Song."

The Christmas Song

Nice job keeping the solo rhythm on this tough song! That is always that hardest part when you flip into pop/jazz solo mode - all of a sudden you are on your own there. It sounded very nice.
Are you going to cross-post this?

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
This is fabulous piece, Ben. Excellent control, balance, rhythm you have with this. You're doing extremely well and I think I mentioned this in the recital previously as well. Great piece, thanks for sharing.

Good to see you out to the Bar again, Andy and hope more often now. This is really nicely done and really sets the correct mood for me. I love nice changes and this has it. The trouble for me has been I have never found enough interesting stuff in the Christmas line to bother to work on. But, perhaps have not dug deep enough. This one is a good idea for me now. Thanks.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I haven't heard many John Denver songs performed here in the Piano Bar but I thought I'd give this one a go. I've done this before on guitar but kind of like the way the accompaniment sounds on piano.

Annie's Song

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by kenjazz
Are you going to cross-post this?

Good idea ... I actually meant to post it in the Holiday Bar anyway and just didn't look carefully!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mark... - I dunno - sounded pretty good to me. When this first started I thought it was the piece by Blood Sweat and Tears that I can never remember the name of (an instrumental) but then it took off in a different direction.

An interesting and introspective piece. I can see why you like it. Your piano has a nice full tone. Are you liking it any better?

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
BenPiano - I'll admit to not knowing much about Classical music but I would have bet that was Bach - I was surprised to see it was a Handel piece. A precise and crisp performance. You made this look easy.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Here's a performance from last night with a vocalist. This is my band (6 piece) and of course I'm on piano.

Look of Love (Burt Bacarach)
https://www.box.com/s/hsnz6z1jbqyz5k19eg2r

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Mark - v relaxing. Not sure why you called it a ‘fun’ piece though.
Ben - Wow. Impressive. I couldn’t come near that LH RH independence
Bill – I think you said once before that looking back some songs seem better … Annie’s Song is one of those. Nice work, as always.
Greener - Good work. There’s something very familiar about the recurring passage which first appears at 0:50-60 seconds (reminds me of a Whitney Houston or someone similar)
KenJazz – Haven’t listened to them all yet.
Andy - classic piece.

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
BillM- Annie's song - your vocal comping is getting so good it is incredible. I like this version much better than John Denver.

Jazzwee - I was expecting to hear a super slow bossa groove on Look of Love, but this was an excellent treatment. Bacharach is an under-appreciated gift to jazz players. I like the staccato accents in the comp that you and the rhythm section put in. It kept the whole mix interesting. Very nice solo on your part. You must play with that drummer a lot. He (she?) had a lot of empathy for your playing even with what you were doing on the solo. Well, this is another one that has to go on the learn-it list.

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jazzwee - what a cool arrangement and fine, tight sound your band has. Surely someone in your band has a video camera - I'd love to see you and your band in action and think the commute from Maryland might be a bit much.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Bill, nice job on Annie's Song. This is one of the few John Denver tunes I enjoy hearing. Your version is excellent.

Jazzwee, your band does this one with style. The singer ain't too shabby, either.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Ken, Bill and Dennis -- Appreciate your comments!

Ken -- yes, it's my drummer for 2 years now. You're picking up on something important. As you get more into jazz, then the "conversation" between the instruments become very key. We pick up signals from each other. The fact that you noticed speaks nicely of your progress. Anyway, this uptempo and spirited version of Look of Love is really unique sounding I think. We take some old tunes and with a little refashioning of the groove, it sounds different. You may have heard some were we play standards with a funk backbeat.

Bill - there are "poor" videos (snippets). When I found that's a little better, then I can pass it along. Thanks again! BTW - I've been contacted by other ABF'ers who've wanted to catch a gig. Well, the answer is that I have a gig every week and sometimes many times/week so if anyone pops up in West Los Angeles, please come by and visit.

Dennis - so nice of you. Yes the band is getting a little better each time. I'm happy to hear a perceived improvement in quality since it translates to more gigs!

Sorry, I'm a little late in listening to the other tunes. I'll catch up. Just clearing my plate of gigs.

My Jazz Blog

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Mark - Sounds awesome! Beautiful piano sound and playing. Is that some sort of Jazz kind of piece? Really nice harmonies at the end there. Jazzy voicings.

Greener - Very pretty tune and nice transition in rhythm there. Really solid performance. Great job.

Kenjazz - Sampled Christmas time is here. I thought of playing this on a gig this week. I don't know it but maybe will have to learn it on the spot. Your rendition is beautiful with such a realistic backing tracks. Are those BIAB Real instruments? Sounds really authentic. Nice treat on the solo. Beautiful.

BenPiano - That was impressive! The evenness of the notes and touch and tone was wonderful. The piano tone coming out is really good. I like your developing touch here. Great work.

Andy Platt - One of my most favorite Christmas songs. Wonderful sound and really good improvising around the chords, particularly not an easy tune to play.

BillM - Such a treat to listen to you. A great sounding accompanist even if not playing for yourself which is more difficult. Your arrangements are wonderful. Beautiful singing and such a nice piano touch. There's something muddy on the low end though (pedal). Really pronounced on headphones.

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My second time to post something not related but I've been getting back into singing again.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Sampled Christmas time is here. Are those BIAB Real instruments?

Thanks Jazzwee! These are all BIAB Real instruments except for the bell tree. The bell tree is a wave file from goldwave.com that I got off the internet. I think bought it from iTunes. I don't remember anymore.

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission