2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,325 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
I think your right, and therein lies the problem. I'm not sure everyone's definition of flirting is the same, google says:- "Behave as though attracted to or trying to attract someone, but without serious intentions" There's never any intentions with anything I say (with anyone, and I do "flirt" (for want of a better word at this moment!) with everyone, whether it be supermarket checkout operator, or salesman!

My OH just rolls his eyes at me, and I don't usually say anything I wouldn't say if he was sat next to me! Perhaps "silly banter with A double entendre at every turn " might be a better way of putting it, I think I need to assess, or take a step back, just because I'm ok with it, doesn't mean he/everyone else is. (Flirtee recpients)

Yikes. I'm just cringing at how many people I may have offended in the past!!! Thanks Stryder for your reply :):) xx

(Now should I have put a x there? Is it necessary??! Rofl!!!)

Last edited by ChordPicker; 12/18/12 11:01 PM.
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
There are a billion and five music students who ended up marrying their teacher. It's hardly uncommon. These days plenty of alarm bells sound, of course, but sometimes you can remove the batteries.

F
F
Hmm

Is this the same as making sure fire extinguishers don't work either?

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by ChordPicker
... Perhaps "silly banter with A double entendre at every turn " might be a better way of putting it, I think I need to assess, or take a step back, just because I'm ok with it, doesn't mean he/everyone else is. (Flirtee recpients)

Honestly, if I were the tutor/recipient, I would find this both inappropriate and also pretty creepy. Just my two cents worth.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I’m a bit of a natural flirt, always have been, with anyone, cant help myself

If you'd ask a psychologist why people flirt, especially on an ongoing basis, it wouldn't surprise me if they would say 'for attention/acceptance.'

So, if this is true, the cause and remedy is completely under your control. However, that's assuming you ARE in control.

If you cannot control the need for attention, or are being overpowered by it, then it would be best to direct it in a positive way. Sports is a great way to do this for active kids who need to get their energy out. Modeling, hostess, flight attendant may be examples of jobs compatible for people who want to be noticed and so on.

You have to be honest with yourself in order to find a solution. Also, wanting attention is just part of human nature. We all love attention to different degrees. There is nothing wrong with it either as when directed correctly, it can be a huge motivator/incentive.

I know this guy who loves to shoot his mouth off but uses the motivation of attention as his driver. Lots of energy directed in positive ways as opposed to the opposite.

Also, you cannot discount the amount of emotional pain you could possibly end up causing someone else if they become attached to you as a result of your initial flirting. You may be just foolin' around for a while but you should never fool with others emotions.

Simply direct this strong need/desire in a good/positive direction and you'll be fine.

C
OP Offline
C

Originally Posted by Mike A
... Perhaps "silly banter with A double entendre at every turn " might be a better way of putting it, I think I need to assess, or take a step back, just because I'm ok with it, doesn't mean he/everyone else is. (Flirtee recpients)

Honestly, if I were the tutor/recipient, I would find this both inappropriate and also pretty creepy. Just my two cents worth.

Well. I suppose asking a personal question on a public forums was my own lookout. Inappropriate - possibly... But creepy?! I think members of the opposite sex flirting, in every town across the world since the dawn of time.. Hardly constitutes as creepy?!

Thanks all for your replies.

Last edited by ChordPicker; 12/19/12 05:40 PM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Inappropriate - possibly... But creepy?! I think members of the opposite sex flirting, in every town across the world since the dawn of time.. Hardly constitutes as creepy?!

Well, of course, flirting isn't creepy in the abstract. But there's a time and place.

Consider the reverse situation: Older male married piano student flirting and making silly banter with a double entendre at every turn, directed at a younger married female tutor who did nothing to invite it. Seems pretty creepy to me, in addition to being inappropriate and disrespectful. Why any different in reverse?

But again: just my two cents worth. You asked: "would it just make you uncomfortable, or would it just make you smile?" Personally, I'd find it very awkward, and I'd be struggling to find a good way to say, "let's keep it professional, okay?"

C
C
Chordpicker, I get the sense from your posts that you might be a little more interested in your teacher than you are admitting. If so, acting on it any further is bound to cause you both problems. Are you willing to lose him as your teacher if it goes further?

Going back to the original question... will the feelings fade off. I think they will. The tutor has exhibited a faith in your ability and continues to drive you as a student. Keep the relationship professional for a long period of time. You will find that the feelings will fade.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Colorado Mac
Chordpicker, I get the sense from your posts that you might be a little more interested in your teacher than you are admitting. If so, acting on it any further is bound to cause you both problems. Are you willing to lose him as your teacher if it goes further?

Chordpicker's willing, even if it doesn't - assuming we don't have a troll here (which could be a distinct possibility) Chordpicker's not really that interested in this particular teacher - just in the immature emotional charge derived from the juvenile flirting relationship - but just about any teacher will do for this, and the loss of one will be replaced by any number of others in a continuing series - too bad the interest in learning to play the piano here isn't even one tenth as strong as the desire for the cheap thrill of playing the flirting game...

Dr. Phil

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission