2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, 12 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Nash Piano Rescue
Did you get the " It took 7 guys to get that thing in here" line from the previous owner? I think that is a standard line. If picking up antique pianos is an illness I need help badly. I think we have about 400 of them in the warehouse by now lol. We are just suckers for those old pianos here in Nashville.

Actually, the previous owners (husband & wife & 4 kids) helped me load it on my utility trailer. They did most of the work. I figure that was part of the bargain. smile

I've taken the gem apart and cleaned out a 100 years worth of dust... I ordered new polymer key top fronts that look like real ivory and glued them on the white keys... that turned out well. I put the keys and action back in yesterday to see how the new key top fronts look and spent about 4 hours playing the heck out of it... smile

Of course, I needed the practice and the action needs loosening up. Most of the notes repeat pretty fast... some are still sluggish, even after treatment with Protech CLP. I'm hoping the stubborn sluggish notes will smooth out without too much prompting.

I like the tone of the old gal... smile

The exterior finish has been refinished in the past and it looks like they did a good job... it won't need much; maybe a good cleaning and going over with 0000 steel wool and soapy water.

My sister has alrady expressed interest in the piano; so, when I'm done with it I may give it to her (unless I fall in love with it even more smile ).

Thanks for all the comments, and Happy Holidays!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Hi Rick,

Will the crowning glory be a new fallboard decal?

Happy Holidays to All!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Rickster, what's "Protech CLP" if I may ask?

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Sam Rose
Rickster, what's "Protech CLP" if I may ask?

Hi Sam,

I may have mispelled it... it is Protek CLP. It is a special product made especially for acoustic piano action parts. It cleans and lubricates. They sell it here at Piano World at the Piano Supply page. Protek CLP

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Rickster,

Very cool. Thank you. If it is a disease, maybe A&E could do a series "Piano Hoarders NYC", "Piano Hoarders Orange County"!

BTW, where do you find room to keep these old gals as you're rebuilding them?

It really brightened my day.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
I thought you all might get a good laugh, or at least a smile, ( smile ) out of my field engineering set up to treat the tuning pin block on my old Conover upright. Thing is, it worked... well. smile

When you don’t have the right tools or equipment (or human assistance) you use what you got…

The old gal is responding to my TLC just fine... I can't get over how well I like the tone, in spite of the dead bass strings and warn hammers.

And, J&J, I almost have a piano in every room of my house... I may have build on another room. grin

Happy New Year!

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image] Yeah Rick!

Simple piano tools are one thing, but most of us don't have a Ford Tractor with a rear boom!!!!!!

Good Job!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Great photo! While the piano was tipped, did you take a minute to tighten up the bottom board screws and the caster screws? smile

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Eric Gloo
Great photo! While the piano was tipped, did you take a minute to tighten up the bottom board screws and the caster screws? smile

Thanks, Eric.

Actually, yes, I did tighten the caster screws... but not the bottom board screws; I didn't think about those.

And, Marty, I have 3 Ford tractors... Guess I'm a fanatic there too. grin

By-the-way, I treated the tuning pin block with CA glue. Some of them (tuning pins) felt a little loose (but still holding); but I went ahead and treated all the pins slots.

I'll see how the treatment worked when I give the old gal a full tuning, but for now I'm still enjoying the saloon sound. smile

Rick

Nothing wrong with improvising. A lot better to use the tractor for tipping than trying to do it without enough help or the right tipper.

my wife is a good piano tipper. She's much stouter than I am. LOL

Tuning and repairing pianos since 1981 in Ranger, Tx. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roys-Piano-Service/173273022711505
OP Offline
Another update...

I've made pretty good progress on my old Conover upright piano project. At this point, I'm not sure how much more to do to it. It's still an old piano but it has a charming tone, though the hammers are rather hard. I cleaned up the action and replaced a few of the old brass flange plates. I also removed the hammer butt flange pins and cleaned the bushings and pins of some sluggish notes. Most of the notes repeat pretty fast now and it seems to get better with more playing.

The new, plastic ivory simulation key top fronts were a nice improvement; and, the CA glue treatment of the pin block tightened up the tuning pins a good bit.

Old pianos can be a lot of fun, but I still think newer is better. smile

Rick

F
F

Just joined, trying to learn more about piano advice to purchase one for my son who is 7 years old.

This was a great thread and I really am enjoying your playing on your youtube videos! I plan to show them to my son tonight to inspire him a bit on his practicing, hah!

OP Offline
Originally Posted by flipwils11
Just joined, trying to learn more about piano advice to purchase one for my son who is 7 years old.

This was a great thread and I really am enjoying your playing on your youtube videos! I plan to show them to my son tonight to inspire him a bit on his practicing, hah!

Gee, thanks a lot for the complement!

And, it made my day to think I might have inspired someone else to want to learn to play the piano; especially a 7 year old! smile

As I say in some of my music videos, pianos are a lot of fun, even if you can’t play all that well! (like me smile )

Rick

F
F
Oh yeah we watched the saloon sounding piano vid and then later he pulled out his Coming Around the Mountain music from last year and was inspired to play it a few times.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission