Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
101 registered members (albydooby, 36251, anotherscott, Ankee, BethRH, AndyOnThePiano, Apache, Abdol, 26 invisible), 1,293 guests, and 516 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Respect for an appointment. #1999459 12/14/12 03:08 PM
Jerry Groot RPT Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I posted this over in the technicians forum too but thought perhaps I might get more interesting responses here from non techs.

What do you think of an appointment time that you make with someone?

Do you respect that time?

Do you respect and value the time of the person you made the appointment with?

I've found over the years that people are less and less respectful of the fact that I made an appointment to come over to their house or to their location. They think nothing of canceling last minute and they think nothing of planning something else over top of my scheduled appointment like someone that shows up "today" to work on their roof or windows, without an appointment which interferes with my ability to hear and therefore, my ability to do a nice job. This is extremely frustrating to me and very disrespectful of someone that YOU made an appointment with....

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Respect for an appointment. [Re: Jerry Groot RPT] #1999462 12/14/12 03:13 PM
W
Withindale Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
It's the way of the world. What to do about it?

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Re: Respect for an appointment. [Re: Jerry Groot RPT] #1999467 12/14/12 03:21 PM
E
Ed A. Hall Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
It's just a sign about how much people really care about their pianos. People who really care about their pianos and want the best job possibly done will have utmost respect.

Re: Respect for an appointment. [Re: Jerry Groot RPT] #1999477 12/14/12 03:58 PM
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I would hope that would be the case Ed. Most people are respectful but, many are not respectful at all about appointment times in particular. I understand that they may wish to complete all things in one day but, my reminder email to them, states that I need it "relatively quiet to tune." I've encountered it more often than not where the window man just shows up. If that were my house, I would simply say, excuse me but, you are going to have to wait for about 1 hour while my tuner completes his job because "they had an appointment with me." You did not....

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Re: Respect for an appointment. [Re: Jerry Groot RPT] #1999485 12/14/12 04:19 PM
A
ando Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I totally respect appointment times, and I'll set aside an hour either side of an appointment so that nothing can go wrong. I actually think this problem very much goes both ways - the service giver is just as likely to dishonour an appointment as a customer is - and that includes piano techs. These trends apply to people in general in this day and age of cowardly devices that can send messages and bypass any uncomfortable confrontation. It's disappointing and I applaud your stance on the sanctity of appointments. I wish there were more like you.

Re: Respect for an appointment. [Re: Jerry Groot RPT] #1999486 12/14/12 04:19 PM
M
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
I never miss an appointment and am never late. It's just the way I am...my wife is another story... smile

Re: Respect for an appointment. [Re: Jerry Groot RPT] #1999490 12/14/12 04:29 PM
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I don't think it has anything to do with what people think of their pianos - it is all about lack of consideration for others.

I work on an appointment basis too really - and I'm astonished at how often people "forget", arrive late, arrive unprepared to do the work......The only thing to do is to get them to pay in advance when ever possible.

I know you can't really do that with the tunings, -and I feel your frustration.

The best you can do is politely let them know what is wrong with their behaviour.

[Linked Image]

Re: Respect for an appointment. [Re: Jerry Groot RPT] #1999493 12/14/12 04:33 PM
frog97 Offline
I hate being late and I can't stand when someone is late, but if they call and let me know they are running late, I am good with that.
Respect is vanishing in our culture, sad to say, along with honesty.

Re: Respect for an appointment. [Re: frog97] #1999511 12/14/12 06:03 PM
F
fcar Offline
F
Unfortunately, I usually seem to be late--though rarely not more than 10-15 minutes--but I do call to let them know I'm running late and by how much. And you are correct that respect whether it is for others or for self along with honesty and ethics/values are disappearing at an alarming rate.

Re: Respect for an appointment. [Re: Jerry Groot RPT] #1999538 12/14/12 06:58 PM
jshelton Offline
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT

When our tuner/tech/teacher comes its an important occasion. We live in the country and to get a first class tech to come and tune our piano is something to be grateful for. He arrives to tune the piano and we leave him alone for the 45 minutes to an hour it takes then I have a piano lesson for an hour or so and then we pass some time sitting around the dinner table with tea and snacks. I generally give him a bottle of our latest chardonnay to take home. This happens twice a year and I enjoy it immensely, I hope he does as well. Of course he's a real gentleman and superb pianist so how could anyone not enjoy his company.

John Shelton
Shelton-Farretta Guitars
www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
Re: Respect for an appointment. [Re: Jerry Groot RPT] #1999554 12/14/12 08:02 PM
Kurtmen Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

I'm very sorry to say that this is a downside that comes with the trade as piano tuner. Just like when somebody spends a couple of hours in a showroom with one of the staff members and the potential buyer don’t buy or when somebody makes an appointment and never shows up.

It is part of the business; the good news is that at the end those respectful good customers and the good experiences are much more rewarding than those who don’t care.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
Re: Respect for an appointment. [Re: Jerry Groot RPT] #1999563 12/14/12 08:17 PM
A
A Rebours Offline
A
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
I posted this over in the technicians forum too but thought perhaps I might get more interesting responses here from non techs.

Hi, Jerry,

YES to both of your questions. When I've set up an appointment with the techs who've worked on my piano I set aside the whole day. I live in the sticks and appreciate the long drive the tech has to make to get here.

Now, I would hope, too, that a tech would also respect my time. Just last week I contacted a tech highly recommended to me by the piano dealer who sold me my piano. My dealer told me to have this particular tech do the voicing on my piano.

I called to set up an appointment and was told that they would be over in my area because they were doing concert tunings at the near-by music center (this was last Friday). The tech was not feeling well so it was up in the air whether he would be able to fit my appointment in. But I was told they would call me and would confirm one way or the other
the status of the tech. So I set aside the weekend and NEVER got a call back.

So I guess respect for appointments goes both ways.

I'll give them a call back for after the first of the year and hope things go better next time.

A R

Sauter 122 Masterclass (M-Line)
Re: Respect for an appointment. [Re: Jerry Groot RPT] #1999564 12/14/12 08:18 PM
J
ju5t1n-h Offline
J
just remember they need YOU! Put a cancellation policy in, or late fees

Essex EUP-123S

Re: Respect for an appointment. [Re: ju5t1n-h] #1999565 12/14/12 08:20 PM
J
Jonathan Alford Offline
J
Originally Posted by ju5t1n-h
just remember they need YOU! Put a cancellation policy in, or late fees

While I agree with some sort of cancellation policy, the customer is also needed - they are the ones that pay the bills.

Re: Respect for an appointment. [Re: Jerry Groot RPT] #1999587 12/14/12 09:34 PM
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Many very interesting and thoughtful posts. Thank you. Some thought provoking ones too. I am glad to hear that most of you repect an appointment time and you're right, it does go both ways for sure.

Unfortunately, I know of several techs, not very busy techs at that, and I am NOT one of them who disrespect appointments by not showing up, or by always showing up late. I see no reason for that! Occasionally, sure, we all get stuck in a traffic jam now and then, ice storms or something similar but as one poster mentioned, they were usually 10 to 15 minutes late on a regular basis. That isn't tolerable in my book. I'm always exactly on time or early. Everyone's time is vaulable, not just mine. I always tell people that you have the exact same 24 hours in the day as I do. If I can be on time, so can you. smile

If a person told me they were going to call me to confirm one way or another and they didn't do so, I wouldn't call them again. That's just my personal policy. I wouldn't trust them a second time. But, then again, they may have forgotten but, if they haven't called you back by now??? They didn't forget.

I see respect in our culture going down the tubes big time. Respect for time, respect for appointments, respect for others while driving, pretty much everything in general.

Most often, my customers are on time and respectful. There are always a select few that aren't. Especially with my new website and the availability of booking an appointment online directly from my website. It confirms the time, the date and has notes for the customer at the time of confirmation via email. 24 hours ahead of time, they receive an auto reminder email with more information about our scheduled appointment including the necessity for quiet. So with all of that information given to them, I find it hard to understand why those that are are not respectful of an appointment time are that way. I guess some people just don't care either way.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Re: Respect for an appointment. [Re: Jerry Groot RPT] #1999601 12/14/12 09:55 PM
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It sounds to me like you have some weeds that need pulling from your garden, Jerry.

While it is true that something unforeseen may come up to make it necessary to cancel or reschedule and appointment, legitimate occasions for this are rare--- a hospital stay, sick in bed with the flu, or a car crash are my idea of an excused absence. (If these are frequent occurrences, that is also a good reason to uproot the customer and throw him on the compost pile. As the old Italian saying goes: "Get away from me; you're bad luck.")

Furthermore, I am very rarely late. It was one thing, before the invention of the wristwatch... but that has been a long day ago. I'm afraid fckar has allowed himself (or herself) to fall into a very bad habit, which needs to be uprooted, as it is unforgivably rude and may prove more costly than he (or she) has allowed him (or her) self to imagine. What goes around comes around, as they say.

My house is pretty quiet for my tech, but he always seems to pick the afternoon the mow-and-blow guys come around with their leaf blowers. I don't know how they always figure out when he's coming. The double-glazing on the windows must help enough; he rarely complains (though I do).

Clef

Re: Respect for an appointment. [Re: Jerry Groot RPT] #1999606 12/14/12 10:18 PM
F
fcar Offline
F
"one poster mentioned, they were usually 10 to 15 minutes late on a regular basis. That isn't tolerable in my book. I'm always exactly on time or early."

Maybe you could try to be a little more tolerant and a little less judgmental ;<) "Always" is a word that many find unobtainable all the time. In any event, I agree with you overall, and your best solution is to terminate those relationships that don't conform to your requirements.

Re: Respect for an appointment. [Re: Jerry Groot RPT] #1999668 12/15/12 02:53 AM
K
KillerCharlie Offline
K
I blame the cable guys. "We'll come between 10am and 2pm"... then they show up at 5pm. Consumers were getting screwed by appointments well before businesses were.

Re: Respect for an appointment. [Re: Jerry Groot RPT] #1999732 12/15/12 08:53 AM
J
J_D Offline
J
I always respect the appointment and others time. I always attempt to be to any appointment 5 to 10 minutes early. An appointment for a piano tuning is a big event for me. I look forward to seeing my tech and love the sound of a newly tuned piano! I take off work and stay home, make sure everything is ready for the tech including turning off TVs etc... It's just common courtesy, that is becoming less common.

I agree Jerry that this type of respect for other peoples time seems to be vanishing among the younger generation. I have a nephew who didn't show up at a pre-arranged time to pick up FREE furniture. He didn't call and wouldn't even answer the phone when I tried to reach him. After 1 week he texted me. I gave the furniture to someone else!

J.D.
Hailun 178
Re: Respect for an appointment. [Re: Jerry Groot RPT] #1999762 12/15/12 10:52 AM
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
You're right Jeff, it is probably time to set down firmer ground rules and perhaps cull out those that are the biggest repeat offenders. I don't mind "some noise" it is bound to be there but, a lot of it we as tuners, just can't have. We need to hear. It is a requirement of our job to do a nice job of tuning. Many people aren't aware of that. smile Others don't seem to care.

Yeah, the mowing guys are always there for me too!! frown They have esp., I swear! I've come to expect that and/or the snow blower people. Some things are just "there." It's the other things, having a tea party the day of my tuning appointment laughing, talking, you know...

Last minute cancelations pertaining to funerals and such of course are not a problem along with doctor appointments, illnesses. Totally understandable. In fact, I state on my reminder email, if you are sick, please call me and reschedule. I don't want it too... I'd rather they cancel in that regard than have me over anyway. I do likewise, giving them a call letting them know that I'm sick giving them the option of having me or not.

fcar, honestly? I am very rarely late. Nobody is perfect including me, but, I am very, rarely late. Generally, the only times I am late are circumstances that are beyond my control. An accident. Getting stuck at a train that isn't moving. That sort of thing but, if those kinds of things don't get in the way and really, they don't very often because I plan my drive accordingly when it comes to the weather always leaving early "just in case" that even in those cases, I am rarely late.

In fact, you read the reviews on my website some of them state that I am "always" on time. smile

I know! How about, I begin by charging more for the stress of having to put up with noise makers? Along with those that copy my "ping ping ping" noises just to be funny. How would that be? smile hehehe.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Buying a Hailun 161...
by funk@delic - 12/11/19 05:10 PM
It's here! My first real piano!
by WeakLeftHand - 12/11/19 04:00 PM
Frozen 2 - All Is Found - Piano Arrangement
by nappy - 12/11/19 12:56 PM
PC vs Mac for Garritan CFX?
by kiwibd - 12/11/19 11:10 AM
Self learning
by JacoV - 12/11/19 10:37 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,612
Posts2,900,761
Members95,210
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission