2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (1200s, busa, clothearednincompo, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,135 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 133 of 190 1 2 131 132 133 134 135 189 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I gave my love a cherry that has no stone;
I gave my love a chicken that has no bone;
I gave my love a story that has no end;
I gave my love a baby with no cryin'.

That's the song the dood was playing in "Animal House" when Balushi smashed his guitar to smithereens against the stairs. <snerk>

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Good one, Ragdoll!

Learner

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
@malkin, I actually liked Swinging Sevenths - that's what it's called wink
Same with Polovetsian Dances, it took me a long time to memorize the chord progression but it's one of those songs I'd like to keep in my meager repertoire.

Ouch, I shouldn't even be typing... my wrists ache from too much computer work and I even skipped piano practice in the last two days... I guess that afternoon spent in the rock climbing gym didn't help laugh

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
sino, when you learn chords in a piece do you learn their names as well as to land your fingers on them?

I struggle to do either one properly, which I'm sure contributes to my overall feeling about pieces with bass clef chords

Learner
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hey sinophilia!

Now when I play Swinging Sevenths I can think of you--It really helps!

Learner

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
sino, when you learn chords in a piece do you learn their names as well as to land your fingers on them?

yes! I need to identify them and write them down on the score, that makes things easier.

Now when I play Swinging Sevenths I can think of you--It really helps!

I'm glad to be of help laugh

G
G
Originally Posted by sinophilia
Gahdzila, I'm working on Musetta's Waltz right now, so I'm just some ten pages behind you! smile

Keep it up and you'll pass me soon enough! grin

My brain was on the fritz in my last post. "Whole World" is done, but I am still working on "La Donna." I'm hating it a little less now LOL. It's coming together, mainly working on speed now. My teacher chose to skip "Ballin the Jack" and "Nobody Knows," and I started on "Frankie and Johnnie." Frankie and Johnnie is another of those silly bluesy jazzy things. Not too bad, just not really my style.

What is my style, though? I'm still figuring that out, I guess. I seem to really enjoy Romantic stuff. The Chopin Étude is still my favorite piece in either Alfred's book, and the only Alfred's piece that I still play for fun.

In other news, my recital was a bomb. I played Miniture Waltz by Vladimir Rebikov. I made a few mistakes, then got lost about halfway through and had a long pause while I got my bearings. But, the good news, I suppose, is that no one threw tomatoes at me or boo'ed me off the stage ha *sigh* I wish I could play in front of people as well as I can at home alone!

Started on Khatchaturian's 'Ivan Sings' yesterday. I think I'm going to like this one!

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Frankie and Johnnie already?!? Slow down gahdzila or I will never catch up with you laugh

I started the Battle Hymn of the Republic but I've got too much work in these days to make any real progress frown

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gahdzila
...Frankie and Johnnie is another of those silly bluesy jazzy things. ...

You know they put those pieces in for silly people like me!!

Learner
C
C
Ooh, then you're getting close to book 3 then. Congratulations.

I'm practicing the circus March and Night Song at the moment. Skipped The Hokey-Pokey though. I just hate that piece and I refuse to play it.....

The other night though my downstairs neighbour complained about noise. I play a DP using headphones, so I was convinced I could hammer away without bothering anyone. That put me off the piano a couple of days. But I just NEED to play though, the urge is growing within me. So I have bought a thick carpet with a layer of rubber underneath. I hope that will solve most of the problem. And I'll have to stop playing late at night. Sigh....

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
You mean your neighbor can hear you pressing the keys? Or were you counting out loud and pounding on the floor? laugh

G
G
Originally Posted by gahdzila
...Frankie and Johnnie is another of those silly bluesy jazzy things. ...

You know they put those pieces in for silly people like me!!

You know, I actually ended up liking this one. It was fun to play and easy (relatively speaking)...and it's a nice confidence boost to finish one fairly quickly.

Moving right along to 'Johnny Marching Home'....I can't help but sing "the ants go marching one by one, hoorah" while I play it smile

Originally Posted by sinophilia
You mean your neighbor can hear you pressing the keys? Or were you counting out loud and pounding on the floor? laugh

LOL I was kinda wondering the same thing laugh ha

Last edited by gahdzila; 12/14/12 03:46 PM.
C
C
I don't think I do a lot of floor pounding, so it must be the keys/pedal action that passes through the floor. It's an old apartment block and the piano is placed directly on a wooden floor. Well now I have put a rubber coated thick carpet under the piano. So it will be interesting to see what happens next....

But, hey good idea! I could of course begin to pound away and count out loud - and perhaps sing a little. That would make the neighbour forget all about the sound of the keys/pedal (especially the singing :D)

Last edited by cfrederi; 12/14/12 08:02 PM.
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I was wondering about the sound penetrating to the downstairs neighbor, too. I thought, gosh, maybe he's got really long fingernails and they're, like, really hard. ha

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
So guys, have you been practicing during the holidays? Right now I'm working on La donna è mobile - will probably need a couple of weeks for this one - and Frankie and Johnnie, which I find entertaining.

I've decided to soldier on and finish this book as quickly as I can, and then take a month or so off before starting book 3, to memorize and polish a few pieces and see if I can build a tiny repertoire. It's funny, I feel I've progressed in the last few months but now I have barely 2 or 3 songs that I can play decently from memory. It was easier with the shorter songs from book 1!

V
V
hi,
any experience with Duane Shinn's 52 week crash course, Rocket piano course, or Piano for dummies ?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Welcome Vince! We're mostly just the Alfred 2 folks in here; you might get more responses if you start your own thread.

I have had lots of time to practice, as we have no kids at work this week and next. I'm working on the Papa Mozart Burlesque and Arkansas Traveller. My husband said straight away that he hoped I would pass off Arkansas Traveller as quickly as possible (i.e. he doesn't like it) so I focus on that when he isn't home. It's sounding good for my lesson in a couple days--oh wait--tomorrow!

Learner
Hi, I've been visiting pianoworld on and off since the summer and this is my first post. Earlier this year, during a rather miserable stay in hospital spent breathing through tubes and gazing up at the ceiling, I decided I'd always wanted to learn to play the piano and, following my discharge, purchased a Yamaha Piaggero along with Alfred's Basic Piano Course For Adults Level 1 - which I have very much enjoyed.

Some nine months later and reasonably satisfied with my progress I have now began Alfred's Level 2 - currently Tumbalalaika - and wanted to say "Hello!"

I'm 39 years old and I wish I took an interest in music (at least playing music) far sooner. Still, better late than never I suppose!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hi Piano Martin and welcome!

Some of us have begun much later than you--you're quite a kid by comparison!

Learner

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Hi Martin, welcome to PianoWorld! Stick with us Alfred's students smile

Page 133 of 190 1 2 131 132 133 134 135 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission