2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Stubbie Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Do you have a piece that you didn’t care for that much when you started to learn it—maybe your teacher assigned it or it was in your method book—but that you came to enjoy over time? Or really wanted to play but were disappointed when you did learn it?

What was the piece? Can you identify why you like it now and didn’t before, or liked it early on but don’t now?

I did not care much for “Love’s Greeting” (Salut d’amour) in Alfred’s AIO Book 2, but came to like it very much. When I first started learning it, I struggled with the fingering on the initial chords. But those soon became easy and as the rest of the piece came under my fingers, I started to really enjoy playing the piece.

In general, I find I like pieces more as I learn them, but that is not universally true. A few I come to find boring as they become better learned.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Do you have a piece that you didn’t care for that much when you started to learn it—maybe your teacher assigned it or it was in your method book—but that you came to enjoy over time?

Almost all of Mozart. Not sure why, I'd have to ask my 8-year-old self. But I couldn't stand learning the pieces before, and now I enjoy them very much. (Clarification: I always enjoyed listening.. it was the learning process I couldn't stand.)

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Generally, it takes a long time, days to months and in some cases a lifetime of playing the piece. As a beginner, I play the same pieces all the time as well, of course, adding new stuff from the method book as I try to grow as a pianst/musician of one year.

It is hard to think of anything that is not awesome.

Song of the Volga Boatmen in the John Thompson Modern course for the piano is only part of the whole piece. I learned to play it when I was 7 - now 50 years later, it is still a very moving 8 measures. I hope to learn the whole piece some day.

When people here say that they don't like some music or teachers say some students say they want to learn new tunes not the tunes/pieces in the John Thompson books, for example, I just don't understand how anyone could think that. Technically, of course, I understand, if it is over your ability, but making music is never anything but awesome.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Oh yes, 180 degree change -- Mozart K545 Rondo. (Dee dee dee, Dee dee dee..). I hated playing it when I started, but I learned so much from it, that I now play it for fun. It can be so playful and silly. It is a kick.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I might be working on that piece/those pieces right now. German Dances, Beethoven ....yuk.
Maybe I'll change my mind sometime...we shall see. smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Maybe it isn't all the way to 180, but pretty much everything sounds better played competently than it does played haltingly at half tempo with a few wrong notes thrown in.

Learner
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Ah!

A topic I know all about.

I found I only liked happy pieces. With happy and dreamy pieces I will pick them up VERY quickly. Playing major chords and such like.

Liebesträum, for instance I played a simple arrangement of this. I thought wow and bought some a slightly more compliated piece. Learnt that quickly and considering starting the original.

I did not like minor chord unhappy pieces. Marche Slave, I felt harsh and didn't like to play. Same with sombre waves of the danube... I initially really hated this piece. But its grown on me considerably.

Stubbie Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
Maybe it isn't all the way to 180, but pretty much everything sounds better played competently than it does played haltingly at half tempo with a few wrong notes thrown in.

That's a big part of it, for sure. It's just fun to play something, even if you wouldn't want to be stranded on a desert island with that as your only piece.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
The lack of a power source for my DP would concern me a lot more than lack of pieces!

And an AP will quickly go out of tune!

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission