2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
hmmmmmmmm.....

maybe

Forrest

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by woodog
Originally Posted by Bob Newbie
The issue for me is what can I put on my raisin bran other than milk?

This guy has an idea that might work for you... (at 25 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRJ02VB5Evk

Forrest

p.s. I guess from the Hoffman quotes thread my enjoyment of this song puts me squarely in the 'amateur' camp.

I remember Allan Sherman from Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh. I just looked him up at Wiki and learned he died in 1973 at the age of 48.

From Wiki ... Late in his life, Sherman drank and ate heavily which resulted in a dangerous weight gain; he later developed diabetes and struggled with lung disease. In 1966, his wife Dee filed for divorce and received full custody of their son and daughter.

Sherman lived on unemployment benefits for a time and moved into the Motion Picture Home near Calabasas, California for a short time to lose weight. He died of emphysema at home in West Hollywood ten days before his 49th birthday. He is entombed in Culver City, California's Hillside Memorial Park Cemetery.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Diane...
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Originally Posted by Damon
piano joy, I'm not a health nut but it does seem odd that only humans continue to drink milk beyond childhood ... and the milk isn't even from our own species. I never gave that any thought until I started reading about nutrition.

That's not true. We are just the only creatures that harvest milk. Put a bowl of milk down in front of a cat or dog and watch.

Why would I want to place a bowl of milk in front of a watch?

Dave, I thought what you wrote was most funny! I smiled. I laughed actually! grin

Don't worry I think some people just lack humour.
And I just think Batman should look like this ! OH YES I do!
AND BATMAN, if you get this message. CALL ME! . . . grin

[Linked Image]

Diane, how about you toddle off now and forget the way back. Your contributions to this thread have been nothing short of puerile. We get it, you can't find a fella you think is worthy of you. I gotta say, I clicked on your photo link, and I'm sorry to say, you aint all that.. You've got no business ranting on about how most men aren't up to your standard. Off you go now - have fun on the teen forums...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This topic has become a confused mess.

Let's bring it back to something somewhat musical or put it to bed.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

Most folks would have smiled. You didn't.

Yes I did.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Batman definitely should not look like George Clooney in a nipple suit.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kreisler

Let's bring it back to something somewhat musical or put it to bed.

I played the batman theme at a recital when I was 8. I probably had less than 8% body fat at the time.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by bennevis

Human beings, unlike other species, aren't slaves to our genes. But for some people, it's still harder than for others to stay slim/lose weight. Some people are more attracted to eating than others, just as some people have addictive personalities.

Human beings, if not "slaves" to their genes, are still mostly governed by them, with some room to maneuver within the framework provided by them. And obviously, about some things, there's no wiggle room to be had. There are many genetically determined things about myself I would have changed at various times in my life if I could have, but that's not a possibility. I'm sure many people feel the same.

The notion that some slim people can eat anything they want (and lots more than fat people), yet still remain slim, has been comprehensively debunked by numerous controlled studies. Self-reported so-called 'studies' are the source of this myth. How many people are able to spend 24 hours/day in the company of dieticians who can monitor exactly how many calories they are eating? A study I read recently showed that fat people under-report how much they ate by between 50 - 400%, while slim people tend to be more accurate, but still under-report generally. A lot of the 'missing calories' are from mindless snacking (which can be healthy fruit as well as unhealthy cookies, but they are all calories....) while watching TV, in between meals, with coffee breaks, while cooking and nibbling etc; others come from the under-estimation of how much food they are actually eating at mealtimes, or simply not realizing that what they are eating is a lot, lot more than 'one portion'. (BTW, a portion of steak/meat/fish is the size of a pack of cards).

The notion I have that some slim people can eat anything they want, yet still remain slim isn't based on a study - it's based on who I was from approximately 15 to 50. I wanted to gain some weight, but no matter how much I ate or what, it just didn't happen.

As far as studies based on self-reported data being debunked - AFAIK, such studies are still being done and are being published in reputable journals, so the debunking may not have been as comprehensive as you imagine.

B
B
Originally Posted by wr

The notion I have that some slim people can eat anything they want, yet still remain slim isn't based on a study - it's based on who I was from approximately 15 to 50. I wanted to gain some weight, but no matter how much I ate or what, it just didn't happen.

As far as studies based on self-reported data being debunked - AFAIK, such studies are still being done and are being published in reputable journals, so the debunking may not have been as comprehensive as you imagine.

There was recently a series of programs on Channel 4 in the UK where they put two people - one obese, the other very skinny - together to live for one week under constant monitoring. It was an eye opener for many viewers - including, I have to say, myself. The fat people were eating up to five times the amount of calories that the thin people were.

Then there was another series on the same channel, where they put whole families under 24-hour surveillance - CCTV was placed in all the rooms in their house (with the permission of the families involved). But what the participants didn't know was that they were also being followed everywhere they went by private investigators, who videoed them as they went to McD, KFC etc, etc. Beforehand, the people filled in comprehensive food diaries, which were given to dieticians to work out their daily (self-reported) calorie intake. Many, many of them seemed to be eating around 1500 cal/day, based on their food diaries, when in reality they were eating over 4000 cal/day, based on the 24-hour surveillance.

In yet another program shown a few years ago, this time on BBC TV, two friends - one slim, the other fat, were subjected to a series of tests, including basal metabolic rate (metabolic rate at rest) to find out whether the reason why the fat woman was fat was because she has a 'slow metabolism' (as she thought), because they both agreed that the slim woman ate far more than the fat one. Certainly, when they ate together in the café, the slim woman piled up her plate and finished it, while the fat one left hers half-finished. They were tested and monitored for one week, at the end of which the results were presented to them. The fat woman has a rather higher BMR than the slim one, as one would expect (after all, she has more fat cells and bigger fat cells to feed); and she ate twice as much as they both thought she did, most of the food being consumed in the privacy of her kitchen, or snacking while watching TV etc. Not in front of her friend, or other people. Whereas with the slim woman, she happily stuffed herself in front of others (and the cameras), but didn't snack at home - she ate far less at home than the fat woman....

If you think you really can't gain weight no matter how much you eat, see if you can live for one week with a fat person, and eat everything they eat, in exactly the same quantities.....even if you have to force yourself to grin. Then weigh yourself again at the end of that week.....

Or alternatively, just add a big tub of Ben & Jerry's (or Häagen-Dazs, or any other brand of your choice - just make sure it's full-fat and real ice-cream..) to your dinner every day - again force yourself to eat it if you have to (personally, I have no problem eating the lot in 5 minutes flat grin), and weigh yourself after one week. Just bear in mind that the ice-cream is in addition to your normal meals (including desserts etc), not a replacement for them.

If music be the food of love, play on!
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

There was recently a series of programs on Channel 4 in the UK where they put two people - one obese, the other very skinny - together to live for one week under constant monitoring. It was an eye opener for many viewers - including, I have to say, myself. The fat people were eating up to five times the amount of calories that the thin people were.

Then there was another series on the same channel, where they put whole families under 24-hour surveillance - CCTV was placed in all the rooms in their house (with the permission of the families involved). But what the participants didn't know was that they were also being followed everywhere they went by private investigators, who videoed them as they went to McD, KFC etc, etc. Beforehand, the people filled in comprehensive food diaries, which were given to dieticians to work out their daily (self-reported) calorie intake. Many, many of them seemed to be eating around 1500 cal/day, based on their food diaries, when in reality they were eating over 4000 cal/day, based on the 24-hour surveillance.

In yet another program shown a few years ago, this time on BBC TV, two friends - one slim, the other fat, were subjected to a series of tests, including basal metabolic rate (metabolic rate at rest) to find out whether the reason why the fat woman was fat was because she has a 'slow metabolism' (as she thought), because they both agreed that the slim woman ate far more than the fat one. Certainly, when they ate together in the café, the slim woman piled up her plate and finished it, while the fat one left hers half-finished. They were tested and monitored for one week, at the end of which the results were presented to them. The fat woman has a rather higher BMR than the slim one, as one would expect (after all, she has more fat cells and bigger fat cells to feed); and she ate twice as much as they both thought she did, most of the food being consumed in the privacy of her kitchen, or snacking while watching TV etc. Not in front of her friend, or other people. Whereas with the slim woman, she happily stuffed herself in front of others (and the cameras), but didn't snack at home - she ate far less at home than the fat woman....

If you think you really can't gain weight no matter how much you eat, see if you can live for one week with a fat person, and eat everything they eat, in exactly the same quantities.....even if you have to force yourself to grin. Then weigh yourself again at the end of that week.....

Or alternatively, just add a big tub of Ben & Jerry's (or Häagen-Dazs, or any other brand of your choice - just make sure it's full-fat and real ice-cream..) to your dinner every day - again force yourself to eat it if you have to (personally, I have no problem eating the lot in 5 minutes flat grin), and weigh yourself after one week. Just bear in mind that the ice-cream is in addition to your normal meals (including desserts etc), not a replacement for them.

This is getting kind of sad - I'm outta here.

B
B
Originally Posted by wr

This is getting kind of sad - I'm outta here.

For once, we're in total agreement grin.

Let's get back to classical music, and the piano.

I've always adhered naturally to a healthy diet..lately I've been taking steroids.. yuk... and crave things like onion rings, deep fried mushrooms, hamburgers. I am supposed to gain weight but just hate it. (love the deep fried mushrooms tho). I certainly notice a difference in how i feel. I like an austere diet. all these extra calories make my tummy hurt and i feel so lack luster.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, op, there is a healthy diet that can improve your playing! It will also improve your health in general and greatly reduce your chances of suffering or dying from heart disease, diabetes, obesity and other illnesses, which are directly related to the disgusting "food" we put in our mouths nowadays. This diet will also greatly improve the chance of this planet remaining inhabitable, as well as ending the unimaginable suffering of the other sentient animals with whom we share this fragile earth. The consequences of us not adopting this lifestyle are already very much in evidence, if we chose to open our eyes to the reality... which tragically, most of mankind is not.

[Linked Image]...Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight

Michael
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My wife is a vegetarian though I am not. I do understand the ethical considerations and have seen many documentaries on the abuse and general poor treatment of industrial farm animals. (A friend of mine here was a government inspector of a slaughterhouse and arranged for me to have a private tour. I strongly encourage everyone to tour a slaughterhouse. It's a numbing experience.)

I don't have a strong view on this but our ancestors were not vegans and we did not evolve to be vegetarians. I do eat fish, chicken, and meat and try to buy organically raised products.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
B
B
Yes, homo sapiens weren't evolved to be vegans, which is why vegans need vitamin and mineral supplementation to avoid health problems. The best diet for both health and environment is pescetarianism, which is actually what many (- ?most) Japanese are on, and they are the people with the highest life expectancy in the world.

Just avoid endangered species like bluefin tuna; there are many species of fish that are in abundance but unfortunately many people don't eat them.

You really don't need meat from land animals or diary in your diet.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I could easily become vegetarian, but how does one become vegan and give up delicious CHEESE ????

Life without feta cheese? No freshly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano on (whole wheat) pasta? No ooey-gooey mozzarella on pizza(thick crust, only) ? No Greek saganaki appetizer EVER? I don't know....

I make serious attempts to eat healthy, but shamelessly admit to believing food is one of life's pleasures. Must be the Greek in me.

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
There is actually a difference between vegetarian and vegan. Vegans don't eat any products that come from animals, vegetarians just don't eat meat, poultry and seafood, but they do eat cheese and eggs, so you can become a vegetarian! smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, homo sapiens weren't evolved to be vegans, which is why vegans need vitamin and mineral supplementation to avoid health problems.

...nothing compared with the health problems caused by the vast quantities of cholesterol consumed nowadays and which is only found in animal meat and fluids. B12 and D2 are the most important supplements vegans need, all other essential vitamins and minerals are found in abundance - and better quality - in a well balanced plant-based diet , such as my wife and I eat. We only need B12 supplements because of the sanitised lives we lead nowadays, which means that we do not get the vitamin naturally from bacteria, as do the animals. And D3 is largely derived from sheep's wool, for goodness sake! Incidentally we've never enjoyed our food so much, so much so that we no longer even miss cheese! I'm 61 and have never been healthier (my doctor is amazed at my blood chemistry).

Of course it's for everyone to make their own informed decision about the life they lead, including the food they eat. Having said this, the cruelty and scale of the factory farming of intelligent animals (including fish), with its associated huge pollution, is the greatest crime on earth in my opinion. My fear is that enlightenment and acceptance of the stark truth, although growing, will come too late - far too late for our delicate ecosystems to recover.

My best to you all.

Michael
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I work in a vegan shop and a lot of our customers don't look particularly healthy. Perhaps they haven't done enough research. A friend of mine a few years ago decided to go vegan, but she rather naively sought no dietary advice, she just cut everything out. Two weeks later she became extremely ill.

I could never give up cheese. Or honey, goodness me they don't even sell honey.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by debrucey
I work in a vegan shop and a lot of our customers don't look particularly healthy. Perhaps they haven't done enough research.

What you're describing could be reverse causality as well: some of them could have assorted health issues that they are trying to fix through modifying their diet.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission