2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,292 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Hey Guys,

I've received a couple of comments asking to post the other pieces I have played for my 8th grade AMEB exam. I have so far posted the Handel Fugue and Chopin Nocturne, and here's the next one...

Mozart 13 Sonata - First Movement.

This video is exclusively posted just for Piano World :-)

I was a bit nervous performing this for the present audience (This was a concert held for the completion of a Piano School program that runs at Uni of West Aus every year for youth students) as I very rarely never use music... but I thought I'd give it a go as it wasn't a really big deal, as opposed to a piano competition - so a memory mistake wouldn't be the down fall of my career... hahah.

I absolutely adore Mozart - he's just so amazing... I feel like I can relate to him the best out of all other composers. He's so cool.

Anyway, I'll stop waffling....

Make comments, yeah...

Take care!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Perhaps it could use a little more dynamic variation. At least on the recording it sounded almost all mf.

You are good enough so that I can ask you(quoting Isaac Stern) "Did you play every note as if your life depended on it?" Or, in other words, so that every phrase had something to say?

Bravo!

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/14/12 10:03 AM.
N
N
Hey!
I've just listened to the sonata, and it is really excellent! The stability of the tempo, the ornaments, the phrases, very very good! The spirit of Mozart is really present, we can feel your love for Mozart. No doubt, you got it right!
The only thing that could be improved are the dynamics, although I'm pretty sure the recording quality plays a significant role in this.
Anyways, what grade did you get ? If I had been in the jury, and listened to the sonata, I would have given you the best grade for sure.
Cheers

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Very nice. I think the dynamics issue has a lot to do with the recording itself and not so much your playing, but it'd never a bad thing to keep in mind. One nitpick: I don't agree with the ritard at 4:22, or the cough(?) at 4:45. wink

I could only offer two suggestions. First, your left hand overpowers the right in a few places it shouldn't (2:16 is one example). Second, while quite spirited, I do believe Mozart intended it to be played a bit slower. Sounds like you're playing somewhere around 132-138 in most places (I did not check, just intuition). I think it should be played closer to 116-120.

None of these comments should detract from the performance, though. Like I said, it was very well-played. Keep it up. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
B
OP Offline
B
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the comments.

This is exactly what the examiner wrote about this Mozart:

Performed with a well projected melody and quite well shaped phrases. The ornaments were rhythmically realised. Occasionally the L.H intruded into the melodic line. Do listen and avoid forcing the tone. You need to learn to control the tone at the ''p'' level. Mostly the one tone level today - LOUD. Listen.

The examiner really made apparent my need to produce a more.... soothing tone and made frequent comments about the harshness of it, this is quite the opposite comments to what I had recieved for my exam before this, the examiner made comments stating I produced a beautiful tone...

@Derelux - She did make a comment about the left hand over powering the right and at 2:16 this is very prominent, i'll keep that left hand quite and precise (or try to! :P) for the future.

In regards to dynamics, it's really really difficult for ME to add dynamics to this piece. It's obvious where there should be quite or louder bits, however suddenly dropping from F to P in this piece just sounds wrong to me, hence i've kept the dynamic level to a minimum - I have tried adding contrasts of colours between the development or change in subjects. My teacher had also made such comments and said to ease off the dynamics. I remembered a time that I really did add them - to an extreme extent, at first I didn't agree with his views, but after being sucked into this piece and hypnotized by it, it seems incorrect to add dynamics to extreme levels (This is not a Chopin Polonaise, it's a baby Mozart sonata), however I agree there should be more contrasts to subjects - in terms of dynamics, or not.

The ritard employed at 4:22 is not something I usually perform, each time I play a piece it's slightly a variation of the way I played it at a different venue, or concert, or whatever - I believe playing the same rendition over and over again is just... hmm, tedious, so I surprised myself and add things not even I expect, to keep the flowing spirit of Mozart immortal.

There's one question I have, it's a silly one...

When I listen to myself play, it doesn't sound professional, there's a hint of amaturish hands at the keyboard, even though this is exactly what I am, what differs my playing from the legendary pianists. It seems silly to compare myself to really, the best in the world, but if I'm ever going to sustain a career out of this - wouldn't it be necessary, if not imperative?

I'm playing all the right notes, at the correct rhythms, yet the output is this.
I think it may have something to do with control in tone, and control within each independent finger.

Kind Regards

:-)

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I'm going to make just one observation, and you can decide what to make of it:

In regards to dynamics, it's really really difficult for ME to add dynamics to this piece. It's obvious where there should be quite or louder bits, however suddenly dropping from F to P in this piece just sounds wrong to me...

When I listen to myself play, it doesn't sound professional, there's a hint of amaturish hands at the keyboard ... what differs my playing from the legendary pianists.

If you want to sound differently than you have before, you have to be willing to do things you haven't done before. wink

It sounds like you have the creative spirit in mind when you change little things in the performance, but the ritard at 4:22 should sound worse to your ears than a warranted dynamic change. If you really want to open up this side of your playing, get really really insane with the dynamic changes--far, far more than you think you should. Record it. Listen to it, and critique your performance. Then make adjustments accordingly.

The difference between the way you play, and the way some "legendary" pianist plays it is very small, but to get there requires a very big step (usually accomplished through many small steps). Also, if you're talking about the recording, don't be disheartened about that. Anyone sounds better when professionally recorded... wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Online Content
Originally Posted by Derulux

The difference between the way you play, and the way some "legendary" pianist plays it is very small, but to get there requires a very big step (usually accomplished through many small steps).
I'd say the OP plays this like a very talented high school student, but the difference between his performance and any professional or even someone who would be admitted to a top conservatory(no less a legendary pianist)is incredibly large. The curve of performance qualtiy, to use a phrase I just made up, is incredibly steep near the top. The difference is small only if one is only considering the ability to play the notes accurately.

It's the same in almost any endeavor. I can play chess better than maybe 85-90% of rated players and 99% of those who "play chess". But if I played 1000 games against any of the top 1000 players I would be incredibly lucky to draw even one game.

It's good that the OP realizes there is a difference. By listening to many of the performances by great pianists, a luxury only recently available for free in the age of YouTube, and with the help of a good teacher he can grow as a musician.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/15/12 07:30 PM.
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

The difference between the way you play, and the way some "legendary" pianist plays it is very small, but to get there requires a very big step (usually accomplished through many small steps).
I'd say the OP plays this like a very talented high school student, but the difference between his performance and any professional or even someone who would be admitted to a top conservatory(no less a legendary pianist)is incredibly large. The curve of performance qualtiy, to use a phrase I just made up, is incredibly steep near the top. The difference is small only if one is only considering the ability to play the notes accurately.

It's the same in almost any endeavor. I can play chess better than maybe 85-90% of rated players and 99% of those who "play chess". But if I played 1000 games against any of the top 1000 players I would be incredibly lucky to draw even one game.

It's good that the OP realizes there is a difference. By listening to many of the performances by great pianists, a luxury only recently available for free in the age of YouTube, and with the help of a good teacher he can grow as a musician.

Love the term you "made up". laugh

I think we're actually saying the same thing, but two different ways. The "curve" you mentioned clued me into this. You seem to be considering the Y-axis, where I'm considering the X-axis. Does that put us closer to the same page?

And I would be happy some day to sit down and play chess with you. But I have to warn you, I am not good for 1000 games. I can play one game every 2-3 months, and then I lose focus. But if you can tolerate playing only one or two games, I'm game.

Online Content
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Love the term you "made up". laugh

I think we're actually saying the same thing, but two different ways. The "curve" you mentioned clued me into this. You seem to be considering the Y-axis, where I'm considering the X-axis. Does that put us closer to the same page?
Yes.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission